Jim Carter on Rosen's Sports Sunday 4/2

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
Jim Carter was on Rosen’s Sports Sunday last night (4/2/2016). Mike Max was filling in for Mark Rosen. Who saw this?

I took several things from this.

First, he is upset that Kaler has shut him out of the AD search process. Regardless of what you think of his personality, he has a strong desire to better Gopher athletics.

Second, he is not sure that Beth Goetz is ready to head such a dysfunctional dumpster fire (my words) as the Gopher Athletics Department. He likes her and believes in her, but thinks she needs more experience before stepping into the problems at the U. However, he also believes that the Administration and Board of Regents are going to spend big money to go through the motions of "looking" for other candidates and it will be Beth. He just thinks that it is a waste of money if they have a predetermined outcome in mind.

Third, speaking of wasting money, Carter is amazed that no one one the Board of Regents or the Administration put up the stop sign about the Pitino extension and increased buy out. He makes it sound like it wasn't brought to the Regents to do their fiduciary review.

When pressed by Mike Max on whether or not Pitino should be retained, Carter said Pitino should be fired. He listed seats not being sold, money not being raised and the worst-in-a-century record this season. He said the U doesn't have the money to do buy him out, but the U also doesn't have the will to find the buyout money.

Lastly, Carter thinks that Kaler has on ego-driven blinders. He believes that Kill was not found a job at the U because Kill’s popularity is a threat to Kaler and the Administration.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sums it up pretty well.

All in all Carter sounded petty and pretty much about himself.

HOWEVER, he did make some valid points about Kaler. I seriously doubt his(Kaler) leadership abilities.

If the 7 Mil buyout is the only thing keeping Pitino in his job......I say good job Teague.

Saw the interview - I doubt he will be having a beer with Kaler any time soon.

Lastly, Carter thinks that Kaler has on ego-driven blinders. He believes that Kill was not found a job at the U because Kill’s popularity is a threat to Kaler and the Administration.

Kaler is not the only one "ego-driven." Not sure why a guy who played that long ago and has been out of the spotlight for a long time, is now all over the place opining on what the U should or shouldn't do. Really effective people tend not to piss off those they're trying to influence--especially in public.

Kaler is not the only one "ego-driven." Not sure why a guy who played that long ago and has been out of the spotlight for a long time, is now all over the place opining on what the U should or shouldn't do. Really effective people tend not to piss off those they're trying to influence--especially in public.
Granted that there are lots of egos involved. Alumni reach a certain age where they want to give back, especially alumni athletes. The athletic environment pretty much fires up an individual's passions and sometimes they re-ignite.

Wow, that puts athletics into perspective I guess, the most important part of the 55000+ students, faculty, thousands of health care workers, and researchers lives is the status of the former football coach and the disruption he could create with the administration and cause conflicts.

Athletics may be the face of the University to John Q public but it has so little to do with it's operations and impact on the state.

Top Bottom