Jim Carter on firing: "I can’t put it strong enough how misguided I think it is.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Jim Carter on firing: "I can’t put it strong enough how misguided I think it is.”

per Marcus:

On Wednesday, Jim Carter, a former Gophers captain and Green Bay Packers standout, said he’s interviewing to be considered as a future member of the board of regents. But he will have a more difficult time holding back his emotions on what the football coaching staff is going through.

“I’ve been through a lot with these guys,” Carter said. “To see them be treated this way is more than I can express. It’s so hugely disappointing. I can’t put it strong enough how misguided I think it is.”

Former Gophers receiver Ron Johnson, who covers the Vikings for KMSP-TV, understands this was a business decision by the university. But Johnson reached out and received an e-mail back Tuesday morning from Coyle about doing something to help the players moving forward.

“[Coyle] said there is a lot of work that needs to be done,” Johnson said.

Meanwhile, Lou Nanne, who is leading the effort to help raise funds for the U’s new athletic facilities, said the school made the wrong decision during an interview on KFAN radio.

“The fact is [Claeys] made a mistake, a big mistake … But I’ve seen people put their foot in their mouth a thousand times,” Nanne said. “I don’t know if someone should lose his job for that. ... I’m totally flabbergasted.”

Dickson, a retired attorney living in Florida, was concerned that the Gophers program will suffer even more after the decision to fire Claeys because policies that led to the issues still are in place.

“I still think in order to fix the problem, the leadership has to be fixed at a higher level up the chain and not at Coach Claeys’ level,” he said. “It seems to me that it is very bad when they pick on the lowest-level guy in the chain who has the least amount of power and set the program back that much further. We’re going to have to pay more severance pay. And once again it’s starting all over with building the morale of the team. I just feel like he was made the scapegoat.”

http://www.startribune.com/current-former-gophers-angry-over-firing-of-tracy-claeys/409609095/

Go Gophers!!

Wait. It says Ron Johnson reached out to Coyle Tuesday morning. Who leaked it to RJ that Claeys was out?

Lou sounded pretty posted and beside himself she talking to DB today.

Top Bottom