Jim Burns Stepping Away from the Mic

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

MINNEAPOLIS – A more than two-decade career is coming to an end at Williams Arena with the announcement that long-time public address announcer Jim Burns is stepping away from his role, Burns announced Monday.

"Dear Gopher Fans, after 26 seasons of having "the best seat in the house", I'm leaving my position as the P.A. voice for Gopher Women's Basketball. While not an easy decision, the timing is right with Coach Dawn beginning a new era. I'm extremely thankful for the opportunities to meet and interact with the thousands of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, support staff and fans over the years. What wonderful memories I'll carry forward. Sincerely and in the spirit of the game, Jim Burns. GO GOPHERS, RAH!"

Burns will be honored on the court for his work at the University of Minnesota on November 19, when the Golden Gophers host UConn. Burns' role with the 'U' started in November of 1997, and the long-time iconic voice at the Barn also has served with the Minnesota State High School League since March of 2003. During his run at Williams Arena Burns also spent 13 seasons as the public address announcer for Gopher Volleyball and also one season with Minnesota baseball.

you can only stand watching so many season's of losing M&W basketball. I get it.

Top Bottom