Jerry Kill/Tim Beckman

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
Both were MAC head coaches moving up to the Big Ten.

Jerry Kill goes 23-16 in the MAC, and had an additional 14 years of head coaching experience.

Tim Beckman goes 21-16 in the MAC, and 1-1 against Kill, including a 35-point loss and giving up 65 points despite being a defensive "expert". Toledo is his only HC experience.

Minnesota gives Kill $1.2 MM/yr. Illinois gives Beckman $1.8 MM/yr.

Did Minnesota underpay, or did Illinois overpay?

Lets have this discussion in, lets say....................four years.

Both were MAC head coaches moving up to the Big Ten.

Jerry Kill goes 23-16 in the MAC, and had an additional 14 years of head coaching experience.

TIM Beckman goes 21-16 in the MAC, and 1-1 against Kill, including a 35-point loss and giving up 65 points despite being a defensive "expert". Toledo is his only HC experience.

Minnesota gives Kill $1.2 MM/yr. Illinois gives Beckman $1.8 MM/yr.

Maybe, Maybe not. I really think maybe I don't know.

I thought Jerry's actual salary ended up being 1.7 million per year.

Anyway, I'd rather have Kill than Beckman, although the parallels between the two hires are startling.

I thought Jerry's actual salary ended up being 1.7 million per year.

Anyway, I'd rather have Kill than Beckman, although the parallels between the two hires are startling.
I may be wrong, but I think a big part of Kill's salary level is the fact he wants his assistants to be very well paid. Personally, I think this makes him a really smart guy, having great people working for you is the best job insurance there is. I may be wrong, but I think the salry multiple of a lot of coaches with their coordinators is 5-10 times. I think Kill's multiple would be three or four. I think Mason's would have been at least 6. If he had spent more money for a good DC, and a couple more assistants who could recruit. he would still be coaching here, IMHO.

We'll find out for sure down the line, as these two coaches will be compared for a while now, given their MAC connection.

My gut tells me we're getting a bargain with Kill, but that won't necessarily turn into what we all ultimately want - A Rose Bowl.

In a free market there is no such thing as over paying or under paying. We paid what we were willin to pay. Beckmen accepted what he was willing to accept.

Beckman was an assistant coach at Ohio State and Oklahoma State prior to going to Toledo. Some major college ADs value this type of experience.

Top Bottom