Jarvis Thomas on U fans: “It’s ridiculous. People, they love the in-state kids."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

Something about Gophers home basketball games last season stood out to Jarvis Thomas.

When Michael Hurt, a freshman forward from Rochester, would check in at the scorer’s table, Thomas recalled, “The crowd would just erupt.”

“It’s ridiculous,” Thomas said. “People, they love the in-state kids.”

They’ll be getting a few more of them soon. Moments after DeLaSalle guard Gabe Kalscheur announced his commitment to the University of Minnesota this week, he threw his arms around Daniel Oturu and Thomas — fellow Gophers commits from the Class of 2018 — and posed for pictures.

“They’ve done a great job in terms of identifying these kids when they were younger and making them a priority, and the fruits of their labor have paid off,” said Paul Biancardi, ESPN’s national director of recruiting. “Now, with this class, it shows that they’ve made in-roads in the state, and that’s so important, because there’s some really good talent in the state of Minnesota.”

“I feel like the coaching staff is recruiting in-state kids now, where past coaching staffs, I don’t know how much they really recruited in state, those types of kids,” said Apple Valley point guard Tre Jones, likely the Gophers’ top 2018 target. “I feel like the prospects in Minnesota have proven in the past what they can do in the college level, and so the coaching staff here sees that and are going after in-state kids.”

img_6317-2.jpg

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/2...rs-basketball-team-secures-states-top-talent/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom