Janel McCarville...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cncmin

Reaction score
OK, so anyone else have this problem? You watch a YouTube video then see all of these great "Related Links." So starting with Sam Jacobson and six degrees of freedom and over a half hour later, I ran into WNBA videos of Janel McCarville (related to a couple videos of vicious picks set by her as a Gopher). Anyway...

Sounds like Janel is doing very well in the WNBA lately. She and Whalen were an exciting duo for the Gopher women's team. When she first got into the WNBA (as a #1 pick?) I don't think she did much, but sounds like she has gotten into even better shape, has a new nickname (JMac) and by the looks of it, has even better moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMA1iT6rIkY&feature=channel

Glad to see her doing well!

She is not good enough to play for the Lynx.

Those were some good years. McCarville looks very quick and athletic, more so than while at the U.

I keep hearing about these highly ranked recruiting classes but the current Borton squad looks pretty slow and not athletic (admittedly, I've only seen a couple of games on the tube). It looks like Emmy Fox and everybody else.

>>...but the current Borton squad looks pretty slow and not athletic...<<

It's amazing how quickly things can change when we let them.

Team Speed

Lack of athletic ability is not the issue for McCoy and Sylva. Lack of shooting ability is.

Bottom line: our roster has fallen quickly from A- to C+ since Whalen-McCarville left. How did that happen and who's responsible?

Bottom line: our roster has fallen quickly from A- to C+ since Whalen-McCarville left. How did that happen and who's responsible?

Well, first off it's not every year that top-5 WNBA picks just happen to come out of this area of the country, and much less so that they both want to be Gophers. The fact of the matter is that neither Whalen nor McCarville was really expected to make a big splash - sometimes good players turn into superstars - we were just very lucky that they both did!

I wouldn't call the women Gophers unathletic, but they need the McCarville to go along with the other Lindsay (Emily Fox) - if Emily had a McCarville on this team, they would be much, much better, not so different from years past.

The final four season was "just very lucky"?

We wouldn't need future WNBA stars to significantly upgrade the current roster. What happened? The opportunity was lost. The window closed. The ball was fumbled.

The final four season was "just very lucky"?

We wouldn't need future WNBA stars to significantly upgrade the current roster. What happened? The opportunity was lost. The window closed. The ball was fumbled.

I'm sorry, the women's team is currently 10-4 (2-1), tied for 3rd in the BT. That is not much different than the mid-season records of the Whalen/McCarville years. I don't know why you're dissing the women...who peed in your cereal yesterday?

They aren't terrible, just slightly above average. An unathletic team in an unathletic league. As the league changes, and it is, the gophers will have to bring in some athletes. Otherwise, second division and smaller crowds.

BTW, I watched the Wisconsin game and they had the microphone in the Wisconsin huddle during timeouts. Their coach is really smart, issuing specific instructions instead of the usual coaching platitudes and pointing out different scenarios to the players. Impressive.

Jamiche, how does a smart coach do absolutely nothing in six years at Wisconsin?

cnc,

>>I don't know why you're dissing the women...<<

It's really the coaching and recruiting that I'm questioning. Maybe you haven't watched them play. Or maybe your standards are really that low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom