James Onwualu

If the Gophers lose Jamal Harbison, I see Onwualu becoming an even bigger priority. Regardless, they need to lock him up...

John, looks like one of the WR's we need so badly is from the neighborhood. It's early, but he goes to the top of my wish list.

Agreed, he'll probably be the top recruit in the state based on early interest. Hopefully Bob L. can provide more insight on him and where the Gophers might stand with him. If I remember correctly, he's been around the program and attended some practices...

I don't follow recruiting as close as others but I feel like CDH's top talent rarely ends up at the U. Maybe I'm just still disappointed Floyd and Seantrel went out of state.

I really don't have any inside information when it comes to where these kids will eventually go.

But, I think the Gophers will have a decent chance at getting him. He comes from a really strong academic family, his brother is playing football in the Ivy League (Penn I believe) and his dad is a pretty successful businessman and a leader in the Minnesota African community. James is cut from the same cloth, he is a REALLY hard working, intelligent kid that happens to be a good football player. I think it might be hard to keep him from going to the Stanford or Notre Dame's of the world.

I was talking about him with some other posters around the prep bowl in that he is really a unique kind of talent in that he has the hands to be a WR, but he is a good running back too. I could certainly see him in a hybrid sort of Percy Harvin role at the next level (not comparing his ability to Percy's, just that kind of versatility). I always envisioned that he would end up on offense, but I'm not entirely sure where he will play. I know he is a good football player, he can run, read his blocks, he's deceptively fast, he can catch the ball, and he's tough. So I wouldn't be really surprised if he didn't end up on Defense either.

I'm a little surprised that he already has this amount of offers. I think he is definitely Big 10 caliber, but he isn't ideally tall like McDonald, he isn't extremely explosive, and he didn't put up really gaudy numbers.

I think we have a legitimate shot at him. He won't be the kind of kid that will be too wrapped up in the glitz and glamour of the recruiting process, but I imagine his choice will be extremely pragmatic (which can sometimes hurt a local team). I think he'll give the U a legitimate shot at landing him and be open minded enough to see this is really a great place to be, but I do think that at the end of the day it'll come down to what he thinks would be the best choice for his future.

I'll keep you updated the closer it gets, that's really the only time I ever hear a nugget of inside info. It's usually along the lines of "James really likes the U" or something like that, not very definite. In my personal experience, anyone who comes on here claiming to really know where a kid is heading, unless that person is family, is making things up.

F*ck, it's pretty tough to pass up a Stanford offer these days. They're kind of the new Notre Dame

I know he was one of the Cretin guys I noticed on the sidelines at the spring game this year.

Nearly exact wording of what you said John, from FBT:

2013 RECRUITING NEWS, in which CDH WR/RB prospect James Onwualu blew up an IMG Madden Football Academy camp a few days ago, killed it at the UA Combine and is already seeing his recruiting stock rise. That performance has already led to offers from Kill, Iowa, Michigan State and Stanford, making him the first in-state prospect for 2013 to do so and likely cementing his place as Minnesota's top recruit for the coming cycle.

Onwalu was the best running back in the state this year in my opinion. And he didn't even really play running back. More of a slash guy. He has the fbs speed and quickness that ford and Larson lacked.

Didn't show me a lot against tougher teams. I think we all know that the conference that Larsen and Ford played in is a lot tougher than that of cdh. To me it boils down to can he really play with the big boy's as well as take the licks and dish it out??? I didn't see it in the state playoff's

Didn't show me a lot against tougher teams. I think we all know that the conference that Larsen and Ford played in is a lot tougher than that of cdh. To me it boils down to can he really play with the big boy's as well as take the licks and dish it out??? I didn't see it in the state playoff's

He didn't show a lot against Wayzata, he certainly showed a lot against some of the other "tougher teams" in the State. There is no doubt that Wayzata and EP were the best two teams in the state, by a wide margin, but CDH was right there at #3, and played against some of the best teams in the state.

He played great against Lakeville North, which was one of the better teams in the state, had been undefeated out of the South Suburban (probably the 2nd best conference in the state).

I don't think it really makes sense to say a kid didn't show a lot against the tougher teams when he plays in one of the best conferences, and played well against what everyone thought was the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state all year (Lakeville North). He was shut down by a really good Wayzata team.

The kid projects as a WR/S not as a RB so why compare him to a couple of RB's. Interest in him really took off after he attend a camp were they put him at WR and then he went to a combine were he recorded BCS level speed.

The kid projects as a WR/S not as a RB so why compare him to a couple of RB's. Interest in him really took off after he attend a camp were they put him at WR and then he went to a combine were he recorded BCS level speed.

Yeah, I think his future is at WR more than RB. He does have some natural running ability though, I really do think he will have some sort of hybrid role if he is on offense where he usually is a WR but also takes some handoffs (like PErcy's role on the Vikes or at Florida). I honestly, never really thought about him on defense, but he could certainly end up there as well.

I personaly see him as a slot reciever/ 3rd down back.

Top Bottom