Jameer Jackson

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the WR from Osseo?

From what I've seen, this kid looked pretty good last year. Rumor has it, he's got no interest in the Gophers?

I did watch him play a couple of times last year. Big receiver with good hands that runs solid routes. Has better than average speed. May not outrun some defenders at the D1 level but can take a hit and dish it out at the same time. He can also jump over defenders. I do not know how he feels about the Gophers or anyone else for that matter.

I view him as a big WR/TE tweener that is borderline DI talent. If I were guessing today I think he'll end up choosing between being a preferred walk-on for a BCS level school or taking a DI-AA scholarship unless a non-AQ school like Wyoming offers. I'd love to have him at Minnesota as a preferred walk-on so we can redshirt him and try to turn him in to a TE (similar to Sahr Ngekia).

"Preferred"

I view him as a big WR/TE tweener that is borderline DI talent. If I were guessing today I think he'll end up choosing between being a preferred walk-on for a BCS level school or taking a DI-AA scholarship unless a non-AQ school like Wyoming offers. I'd love to have him at Minnesota as a preferred walk-on so we can redshirt him and try to turn him in to a TE (similar to Sahr Ngekia).

Does anyone have any experience with the "preferred" distinction when referring to walk-ons? Is this just another way of classifying kids who were recruited but not offered? If this is the way of thinking, are there any kids on a roster who are walk-ons who aren't "preferred?"

Does anyone have any experience with the "preferred" distinction when referring to walk-ons? Is this just another way of classifying kids who were recruited but not offered? If this is the way of thinking, are there any kids on a roster who are walk-ons who aren't "preferred?"

I believe a preferred walk on is considered by the NCAA to be part of the 105 player roster, whereas a regular walk on doesn't have to be included in that roster. A preferred walk on is usually treated the same as a scholarship player with full access to training facilities and academic help. Players are recruited as preferred walk ons and are often, if not always, promised the opportunity to earn a scholarship. It's a great way to get a promising player on the team if scholarships are limited.

Hmm. You would think someone with a long and illustrious career as a "Recruiting Expert" would be quite familiar with the distinctions of which you are curiously unaware.

Osseo's passing attack is this... have tall receivers that call jump and have there QB chuck up a deep pass and have there receivers out jump the BD's, nothing more.
I have watched this for the past 4 years from the high school press box.

Hmm. You would think someone with a long and illustrious career as a "Recruiting Expert" would be quite familiar with the distinctions of which you are curiously unaware.

I'm curious to hear what people think about the "preferred" tag. Lots of kids think they're getting something when they hear that they'll be a "preferred" walk-on, when in fact it's a ploy coaches use to fill out rosters. There are a lot of kids out there who are wooed by the "preferred" tag that never sniff the field ... their families feel cheated.

Glad I continue to amuze you, dpodoll!

I would guess there are more not preferred than preferred. From what I've heard Mpls. resident, Kyle Henderson applied to school, was accepted, then asked the program if he could try out for the team. They in fact knew nothing about this player who currently sits in the two deep at corner.

Well regardless of how preferable he is, let's just sign this kid up.

Big local kid. Good hands, good body control.

Sounds like a pretty good guy to me. Big, can take a hit, would get those short yardages first downs and perhaps more. Might be a sleeper with good potential and he's a Minnesota guy.

Preferred walk-ons are recruited to be walk-ons. They are basically promised to be a part of the program with a chance to earn a scholarship later. Non-preferred walk-ons have to try out.

I'm curious to hear what people think about the "preferred" tag. Lots of kids think they're getting something when they hear that they'll be a "preferred" walk-on, when in fact it's a ploy coaches use to fill out rosters. There are a lot of kids out there who are wooed by the "preferred" tag that never sniff the field ... their families feel cheated.

Glad I continue to amuze you, dpodoll!

When walk-ons are on the field I feel cheated about a less than acceptable talent being on the field over a kid who is going to help us win. Walk-ons should be tackling dummies and water boys, nothing more or your program is seriously lacking. How many walk-ons does Alabama have starting?

When walk-ons are on the field I feel cheated about a less than acceptable talent being on the field over a kid who is going to help us win. Walk-ons should be tackling dummies and water boys, nothing more or your program is seriously lacking. How many walk-ons does Alabama have starting?

Again with this?

Your entire premise is flawed. You assume that, because X scholarship player was better than Y walk-on player coming out of HS (which, incidentally, isn't even the case 100% of the time), that X will always be better than Y. If that were the case, why do they even hold practices? If players don't get any better, they may as well show up for the flight to Murfreesboro on Sept. 1 and not bother with spring practice, spring game, fall practice, etc. Likewise, they may as well not even play the games. Who has more 4- and 5-star recruits? Give them the victory!

Recruiting is part of the picture. A significant part, granted, but it is not the whole picture.

Like Sherels, Hoese, Rallis, Jeff and Nick Tow Arnett, yep they never made any plays.:rolleyes:
You really need to stop chasing stars man, just because there's a big number in front of a player's name on Rivals or ESPN, doesn't mean they are going to be any good. This isn't Madden 2011 or NCAA 2011 on PS3. Yet day in and out you demean "lower rated" recruits and walkons with your
4 star 5 star BS. Take a step back and watch the games, if a guy can start or play, then he's better than the guy on the bench regardless on where he came from and what number he had in front of his web profile.

Why would you feel "cheated"? Do you actually think they would play a walk-on over a highly recruited player, if they thought the highly recruited player would contribute more on the field? The coaches determine who the best players are during practice. They couldn't give a rats a$$ about your feelings or those of the highly rated player. The coaches careers are on the line based on wins and losses, not whether they play a player who had a better high school career. Most walk-ons end up being tackling dummies, but sometimes you come across a diamond in the rough. Should you not play the WO kid who is out performing the 4 star in practice? Also, don't compare the National Champs program to the Gophers program....yet.

bankonit has it totally right...good job. Let's look at two potential scenarios:

1 - A 5 star recruit comes to The U after offers from every single BCS school. We all celebrate. It becomes apparent during the first week of practice that everyone missed on this kid...all hat, no cowboy. Irritated, he spends the next 4 years eating up a scholly and does not even help with the scout team.

2 - A local walk-on comes in, lights it up, earns playing time, and is rewarded after a couple years of hard work with a scholly. He is remembered for years for his hard work and dedication, and is an inspiration to many other MN HS kids to work hard, set goals, and achieve those goals.

Let's face it...scenario #2 should not have even bothered to show his untalented mug at camp in the first place.

Top Bottom