Jalen Suggs recent interview

Yep, I think that hurt him too. I don't know how much of that had to do with playing more minutes than anyone in college basketball or not, but I don't think it helped him.

I think Coffee should have been more like a 3&D wing type. He obviously could handle a bit for a wing and that's a plus but it didn't transform him into a PG. He should have had considerably more shots (especially 3s) off of ball rotations and not off the dribble. He should have been more of a terror cutting. He would have been a difficult cover. You can envision Amir popping out to the extended elbow and being a threat to shoot, drive or cut right back to the hoop.

Yeah our offensive system was not conducive to his strongest attributes (or really any off ball movement for that matter) and I liked him as PG more than most, but yes that 3 & D wing is what he is if he sticks in the NBA.

I recall Richard making it pretty clear through the Star Tribune that Amir playing PG was almost mandatory if he committed to the U. he also only really played lead guard his junior year, when Carr’s waiver was blocked by Pitt. I think Pitino’s hand was forced a bit more than we would have liked, especially since Coffey never seemed to find a way to stay aggressive off the ball (maybe that’s offensive game planning as others mentioned).

I recall Richard making it pretty clear through the Star Tribune that Amir playing PG was almost mandatory if he committed to the U. he also only really played lead guard his junior year, when Carr’s waiver was blocked by Pitt. I think Pitino’s hand was forced a bit more than we would have liked, especially since Coffey never seemed to find a way to stay aggressive off the ball (maybe that’s offensive game planning as others mentioned).

It's also fair to mention that our offense was the 3 highest rated in Pitino's tenure (KenPom) wise with Amir as point. I didn't mind our offense that much with Amir as our lead guard like many others did. I didn't like losing him out on break. It really would've been interesting to see what would've happened in Carr was eligible

Yep, I think that hurt him too. I don't know how much of that had to do with playing more minutes than anyone in college basketball or not, but I don't think it helped him.

I think Coffee should have been more like a 3&D wing type. He obviously could handle a bit for a wing and that's a plus but it didn't transform him into a PG. He should have had considerably more shots (especially 3s) off of ball rotations and not off the dribble. He should have been more of a terror cutting. He would have been a difficult cover. You can envision Amir popping out to the extended elbow and being a threat to shoot, drive or cut right back to the hoop.
Amir’s dad was pushing for time at PG

Top Bottom