Jack Brewer on WCCO

DarrenTheGreek

Gov. Victory Bell Ringer
Reaction score
On the way to pick up my kids from their grandpa's after the game I caught an extended interview with Jack Brewer on WCCO. I was amazed at how delusional he seemed to me.

He repeated that Scott Linehan and David Gibbs should be the 2 top candidates for the next coach. Then he talked about Mason's teams like they were top ranked teams in the country. He said that Mason had a great system...zone-blocking running game (he's right on this account...very good system) but that Mason also had great defenses. He used the number of NFLers on defense as his evidence of this. When talking about the next coach he was insistent that the spread could never work here.

I was amazed at his revisionist history. He referred to the Mason era as a time when Minnesota was "near the top" of the Big Ten and that the apathy today is nothing we've ever seen. I guess he forgot about all the blue seats that attended games at the Metrodome. He even said that LAST year he went to a game at TCF Bank Stadium when only 30,000 people showed up. :confused:

We must stop Jack Brewer! The man is spreading his ignorance though the internet (Doogie) and the radio (WCCO), DO NOT LET THIS MAN ON TV!

I understand he likes Mason but c'mon, he is doing way more harm than good.

Holy crap. I love every one of our former players in one way or another.. And Brewer's football prognostication is NOT one of them. This guy has GOT to shut his yap. Seriously.

Yeah, Brewer is out of his mind. Nothing screams "dynasty" like two 4th place finishes in the Big Ten over a ten year period.

Anyone notice how all mention of Brewster was removed from today's game program? It was like the Ministry of Truth was working on it all week. I wish they could pull a similar trick with Mase...just erase him entirely from the history of the program.

Jack Brewer is out of his mind. If anyone listens to his Mason-hype crap they should be immediately fired.

That Mason whore needs to go in a dark room and take his crazy pills. Saying a Mason defense was great is about the biggest delusion around and warrants Jack seeing a professional psychiatrist. Also, Jack does whats good for Jack and he is not looking out for the best interest of the University (if he was, he wouldn't be spouting off in the media).

I turned off the interview

to listen to some music. ughhh

What kind of talk is this? What kind of control freaks are you people? It is the RIGHT time for players, former players and all long-time season ticket holders to speak their piece and go after the administration at the University of Minnesota to let them know they had best not screw this up again.

Go get 'em Jack! Speak your mind.

People need to get out there and put the pressure on prexy b and maturi.

You people can preach "control" and surpression of thoughts...but it will NOT work.

No Wren

Not when Brewer speaks of Masons defense as if it was an elite defense. It was pathetic and Brewer should know that. yikes.

Brewer does not represent very many former players, most of his comments are about as delusional and Brewsters winning a Rosebowl game.

Why are you all such control freaks? And littlebigboy, NOBODY speaks for very many people. People can only speak for themself. No one else.

And doc: Mason's 1999 defense was a pretty fine defense. They only gave up 19.75 points per game in 8 Big Ten contests that year. Brewster's defenses for his first three years averaged giving up 30.292 for his first three years...and, for the 3 Big Ten games he coached in 2010, the average per game was 32.67. Mason averaged 28.1 points per Big Ten game for 80 Big Ten games. (10 years.)

Having prexy b and maturi in charge of making a hire doesn't worry you people after their brewster fiasco????? It is so comical that they had to hire a pr guy to try to make them look a little better to the new coaching prospects.

You just can NOT control what other people think and say doc, littlebig, et al. It just doesn't work...and...it looks really bad... ; 0 (

That's what I think any way... ; 0 )

You are right Wren

One good defense out of 10 is satisfactory.

It is a lot better than none. And, doc, it is a LOT better than anything brewster ever put up. Now that brewster guy had some really terrible defenses...his entire career here at Minnesota was "undefensable..." in so many ways.

So, doc, I think it is time for all the former players, the long-time season ticket holders and anyone who cares about Golden Gopher football to speak up...to stand up and be counted. Let your feelings be known! If you are angry at maturi and prexy b for messing some things up, let them know in no uncertain terms. Let them know if you are afraid that their status as lame ducks...maybe even dead ducks for the sake of this coaching hire process may keep the program from being as successful as it NEEDS to be at this point in time. After all, this 285 million plus stadium's impact on Gopher football in only it's second season is pretty sad to see right now. Our leaders have failed us at this point in time. They need to make the right hire and I really don't know if they are up to the task. And, they will be long-gone if the results are another brewsteresque disaster.

wren, whether the 1999 defense was sound or whether Mason was better than Brewster is irrelevant. Brewer used Mason's philosophy as the standard-bearer going forward and basically said that we were an elite program under him. He lied.

DarrenTheGreek:

As we clearly have now seen, Mason was on the right track and would have done a much better job in the new stadium than Brewster did. Now, as we have our lame duck prexy and dead duck ad about to hire Brewster's replacement, the very best we can probably hope for is to have our "ducks" hire a coach who MAY be able to return us to the level of competetivness that Mason had elevated us to.

I realize that some think the program will spring to the 'next level' magically and mystically.

I have watched far too much football over the many decades I have been a Gopher Fan to believe in the fantasy world that many on this board appear to believe in. Our new coach will be lucky to return us to the Mason level of competetivness within the Big Ten Conference that now includes PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Illinois, iowa, wisky, Indiana, NU, our Gophers AND Nebraska.

I would assume that Mr. Brewer fully believes what he contends and I believe that he probably has many specific reasons to feel that Coach Mason was and is an excellent coach that Minnesota made a big mistake in terminating. He certainly is entitled to his opinion, I would say. Don't you agree that Mr. Brewer is entitled to his opinion? What kind of world are we living in here when people dispute whether Mr. Brewer is entitled to state his opinion?

I really do fear that it is going to take our new coach a long time to return us to the level of competetivness in the Big Ten that Mason had established. This will not be easy or fast or certain. These are dangerous days for the Gopher Football Program I fear, DarrenTheGreek. Of course, that is merely my opinion. It is tough to play competetive football in the Big Ten when we are starting from the basement again.

DarrenTheGreek:

As we clearly have now seen, Mason was on the right track and would have done a much better job in the new stadium than Brewster did. Now, as we have our lame duck prexy and dead duck ad about to hire Brewster's replacement, the very best we can probably hope for is to have our "ducks" hire a coach who MAY be able to return us to the level of competetivness that Mason had elevated us to.

I realize that some think the program will spring to the 'next level' magically and mystically.

I have watched far too much football over the many decades I have been a Gopher Fan to believe in the fantasy world that many on this board appear to believe in. Our new coach will be lucky to return us to the Mason level of competetivness within the Big Ten Conference that now includes PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Illinois, iowa, wisky, Indiana, NU, our Gophers AND Nebraska.

I would assume that Mr. Brewer fully believes what he contends and I believe that he probably has many specific reasons to feel that Coach Mason was and is an excellent coach that Minnesota made a big mistake in terminating. He certainly is entitled to his opinion, I would say. Don't you agree that Mr. Brewer is entitled to his opinion? What kind of world are we living in here when people dispute whether Mr. Brewer is entitled to state his opinion?

I really do fear that it is going to take our new coach a long time to return us to the level of competetivness in the Big Ten that Mason had established. This will not be easy or fast or certain. These are dangerous days for the Gopher Football Program I fear, DarrenTheGreek. Of course, that is merely my opinion. It is tough to play competetive football in the Big Ten when we are starting from the basement again.

The Mason level of competitiveness? You mean the same level we were at last year, and the year before? And 9 out of the 11 years before that? I used to be a Brewer fan, but I am not exactly sure what he is talking about. Do you remember the dome being full (ok, 3/4 full) of people chanting for Mason to be fired? He only won 10 games once....in 10 years!

How Bad Is it?

How bad is it? We lose all our games,ya But so far we are losing all our games by 12 points or less. Wisconsin is an exception to that but they might be the best team in the Big Ten and it could have been 11 points pretty easily to them if we would have scored our usual meaningless touchdown at the end.

My point is we are not getting beat every week by 50 as we sometimes did wth Brewster and Mason in the past. Ya, we are maybe likely to see that coming up in the next few weeks but in the first eight games it didn't happen. I'm not a moral victory guy but we aren't losing 55 to nothing each week.

I don't think we are anywhere near our lowest point in Gopher football history.
*As Bellotti said, Brewster proved you can recruit nationally in Minnesota.
*We have a great stadium to play in on campus, which we haven't had for 30 years prior.
*Brewster made giant inroads to establishing a relationship with Minnesota High School football coaches who Mason ignored for 10 years.
*We all expected next years team to be Brewsters best. We lost faith in Brewster but I still think there are players to be coached next year.
*We have some very good assistant coaches who probably won't be retained but we got a lot of guys who can't coach who will also be gone. The new guy is hopefully better at selecting a staff because that is really the key. My point: will it be that hard to have a better staff than we have now?
*Number one reason we will better: Adam Weber will no longer be our quarterback!

I'm sure there are lots of other things that are better about Gopher football in 2010 than they were in the recent past. And a good head coach can make us more competitive in 2011.

Didnt Brewer also imply he'd like a job in the organization. Clueless. Stay on Wall Street and make big $$$.

Top Bottom