J Robinson for Athletic Director

Uh yeah, great Wresting coach but to say he is rough around the edges would be an understatment when it comes to PR and fundraising. Boosters probably wouldn't like being cussed out by the A.D.

Worst idea ever. He's a fine wrestling coach. He'd be the first AD to ever have about 20 coaches all quit in a giant protest.

Worst idea ever. He's a fine wrestling coach. He'd be the first AD to ever have about 20 coaches all quit in a giant protest.

Could you imagine the budget meetings? He'd make everyone else wrestle him for their money.

What about Tom Lehman? Bobby Jackson?

You cannot be serious about Bobby Jackson? He is my favorite gopher BBall player but come on. I don't know if he ever even graduated. You need someone that no only knows athletics but also knows how to run a business.

He seems just as qualified as some of the other names being thrown out. :D

how about Carl Eller or Dave Winfield?

Why are players and coaches brought up for AD candidates? I get that an AD needs to know sports, but an athletic department is a business, why not get someone that's built or run a great business? Coaches are a little more understandable than players, because they've had experience with running a team, so a "team of teams" is along the same lines. But Carl Eller? What has he done other than tackle people and get tazed?

How about a Steinbrenner-esque AD?

It doesn't matter if I object or not, none of us make the call. Maturi won't likely be going anywhere until the new AD comes in. My guess is that Maturi will offer his resignation as soon as the new President comes in, and will stay on until the end of the search.

Being a good coach means little to being a good AD. An AD has to be a manager, a politician and cheerleader, all rolled into one.

Why are players and coaches brought up for AD candidates? I get that an AD needs to know sports, but an athletic department is a business, why not get someone that's built or run a great business? Coaches are a little more understandable than players, because they've had experience with running a team, so a "team of teams" is along the same lines. But Carl Eller? What has he done other than tackle people and get tazed?

How about a Steinbrenner-esque AD?

Built or run a great business and with a serious Minnesota connection, how about Pete Najarian? Son of Dr. John Najarian, the very famous transplant surgeon, Pete's done extremely well for himself in business, is assertive and a go-getter for sure, named to the All-Big Ten second team as a LB for the Gophs for three consecutive years (1983-'85), graduated cum laude from the U of M with a degree in genetic engineering, and now he's a stock market and options trading whiz. He's well-liked and very well-regarded and respected, and he really knows his stuff.

That would be my idea of an excellent out of the box type candidate. Now whether he'd ever be interested in such a job, who knows.

Not a bad idea Seany. Student/athlete in every sense of the word with a strong football background. Maybe he's our Pat Richter.

Arne Carlson, but he won't take it, so I'd prefer someone from the business community with football ties.

Bob Stein. He's been publicly critical of the state of the football program, give him the chance to do something about it. Played on last Big Ten championship team and has a Super Bowl ring.

Karl Mecklenburg. Walk on at U. 12th round draft choice. Pro football HOF. Motivational speaker. If not a finance whiz get Assistant AD whose forte is bean counting.

Built or run a great business and with a serious Minnesota connection, how about Pete Najarian? Son of Dr. John Najarian, the very famous transplant surgeon, Pete's done extremely well for himself in business, is assertive and a go-getter for sure, named to the All-Big Ten second team as a LB for the Gophs for three consecutive years (1983-'85), graduated cum laude from the U of M with a degree in genetic engineering, and now he's a stock market and options trading whiz. He's well-liked and very well-regarded and respected, and he really knows his stuff.

That would be my idea of an excellent out of the box type candidate. Now whether he'd ever be interested in such a job, who knows.

Why recruit when the AD can just genetically engineer better players?

I the idea of someone with a football background for Athletic Director such as Mike Wright (CEO Supervalue) or Bob Stein ( Attorney).

If neither of those have interest maybe David Mona. He may not have interest but he certainly has qualities that could be very beneficial to the University. He could be a top notch fund raiser, terrific speaker / spokesman for university of Minnesota Sports, and possibly has been its # 1 Fan. He was very instrumental in getting football back on campus.He is forward thinking and shares the optimism we will achieve a competitive program that most on Gopherhole desire. I would trust his decision making on coaches. He may not have interest but I would like to see him considered if he does.

I don't necessarily think it is a good idea to try and lock in to a internal or homegrown candidate. If they have the perfect skillset for the job, great. However I would want to try and fit a square peg into a round hole strictly because they are Minnesota guy. What tends to happen then is because people are emotionally attached to the local boy done good then they may tend to overlook problems or shortcomings until it is to late.

That would be my idea of an excellent out of the box type candidate. Now whether he'd ever be interested in such a job, who knows.[/QUOT

After the way the U treated his Dad!??!?!!?!? are you kidding?? where were u when the hung Dr N out to dry after al he did for the place?????

How about this guy:

Phil Esten
President and Chief Executive Officer
[email protected]
Graduation Year/Degree: '03, PhD
Career: Chief Executive Officer of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association and Associate Vice President of University Relations since March 15, 2010.
Prior to that served as associate athletics director, including leading the TCF Bank Stadium project
Interest and Hobbies: Spending time with my family, golfing, and playing the guitar
Favorite U of M Memory: Standing at the 50 yard line during the Opening Day Ceremonies at the TCF Bank Stadium on September 12, 2009. I was very proud of a great collaborative success and was very proud to be a Gopher.

Tubby

Dave Winfield or Paul Molitor would do it for the love of the Alma Mater. After all Minnesota gave them the opportunity to succeed. Too much glad handing for them I suppose though.

J Robinson would be worse than Maturi...well maybe not that bad but not a good choice.
John Anderson doesn't have enough fight. he can't even get a baseball stadium built.

Tubby? Why not? He could be AD and Taylor could be coach. He would groom Saul and everybody wins. And he would give the Basketball Practice Facility the priority it needs.

By the way how did Maturi get this job in the first place?

Dave Winfield or Paul Molitor would do it for the love of the Alma Mater. After all Minnesota gave them the opportunity to succeed. Too much glad handing for them I suppose though.

J Robinson would be worse than Maturi...well maybe not that bad but not a good choice.
John Anderson doesn't have enough fight. he can't even get a baseball stadium built.

Tubby? Why not? He could be AD and Taylor could be coach. He would groom Saul and everybody wins. And he would give the Basketball Practice Facility the priority it needs.

By the way how did Maturi get this job in the first place?

I guess I'm just not sure why Dave Winfield or Paul Molitor would be qualified to be AD. I may be ignorant about what being an AD entails but it would seem to me that you would want someone with more qualifications on the business side of things. I don't think that being a popular former athlete without proper experience would be enough to get it done.

Bob Stein's tenure with the Timberwolves didn't exactly go great. That executive experience could scare a selection committee.

Phil Esten is a good candidate in 2020. He's not experienced enough yet.

I would be tempted to make a run at Iowa's current AD Gary Barta (he's a Twin Cities native), Kentucky's Deputy AD Mark Coyle (was at MN before), current New Mexico AD Paul Krebs (Big Ten roots), among others. There will be willing candidates out there when the time comes.

Say what you want about Joel Maturi, but he will leave the athletic department in infinitely better shape when he leaves than what it was when he arrived. When he took the job, there weren't a lot of people who thought it was a good job. Now, it is a good job and there will be good candidates.

Top Bottom