Iverson not rewarded start in 2nd half?

march madness

Reaction score
Great win, great game, well coached game. But, is anyone else suprised that Iverson didnt get rewarded with the start in the second half? Isn't that what happens to others who outlplay the starter in the first half?

I guess my real point is sometimes Iverson struggles with moving his feet on defense; he probably always will. I remember in the second half Howard scored two straight on Iverson and Tubby took him out. Luckily for Sampson they sat Howard right after that. I feel like Iverson gets punished for having slow feet, its not for lack of effort. Yet what Iverson brings to this team(physical presense, rebounding,post scoring) is so important I just hope he doesnt get fustrated getting yanked all the time. I'm not sure he played another minute and we still won. I know his crappy free throw shooting probably factored in at the end of the game. I just would have appreciated a reward for the monster first half. Look, Howard was going to score on whoever was in there.

Iverson doesn't get punished for anything. He has a role on the team like everyone else. You don't bounce guys in and out of the starting lineup based on 1 half of play or even 1 game. A lineup has to be cohesive with all 5 guys and Colt 45 is important to our 2nd line. Then after the first 8 or 9 minutes of the half you see Tubby go with the lineups he likes the best. Colt is still improving and once he develops a bit of touch around the basket he'll be a very good player but right now he's still hit or miss as sometimes he gets clumsy out there

Iverson doesn't get punished for anything. He has a role on the team like everyone else. You don't bounce guys in and out of the starting lineup based on 1 half of play or even 1 game. A lineup has to be cohesive with all 5 guys and Colt 45 is important to our 2nd line. Then after the first 8 or 9 minutes of the half you see Tubby go with the lineups he likes the best. Colt is still improving and once he develops a bit of touch around the basket he'll be a very good player but right now he's still hit or miss as sometimes he gets clumsy out there

Gophers averaging 82 ppg (holding opponents to 54 ppg) and shooting 50% FG and 41% 3-pt FG while using all 10 players between 9 minutes and 26 minutes per game. It's a team effort.

I was a bit surprised he didn't get to play a little more in the second half. I don't know if it necessarily mattered whether or not he started the second half, but the way Sampson was playing I thought the team would've benefited by having Iverson in there a little more. Even if he didn't have nearly as good of a second half as first, he would've at least drawn attention in the post and had a good chance to either get fouled or find an open guy. Sampson was pretty awful on offense last night. I guess Iverson did pick up a number of fouls which partially affected his time as well.

3 games in 4 days is the reason Colt did not play as much in the second half. The announcers mentioned that Tubby was going to sub differently and use players differently to avoid fatigue.

Colt will probably play 17 minutes in the first half tonight. His size and strength will wear down Portland's post players and hopefully get them in foul trouble. Hopefully, this will again open things up in the second half for the shooters and dribble drivers.

Iverson.

Agreed with oleboy. Hey, just be thankful Clem isn't still the coach. If he were Iverson would have been yanked in the middle of his first half hot streak and Clem would have said "he was getting tired, he's just a basketball baby."

oleboy

Did you watch Rodney Williams in game 2. When he played well in the first half, he started over Carter in the second half. And then he got the start from then on.

I will never 2nd guess our Tubby.

In Tubby I trust.

I will never 2nd guess our Tubby.

In Tubby I trust.
I don't know if I agree 100% with that, coaches even 2nd guess themselves.

However, most coaches don't start players in the 2nd half over their first half starters unless there is an injury or a terrible mismatch that wasn't seen earlier (even if someone is playing a great game).

Top Bottom