Iverson narrows list...

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if this is on the board yet but Iverson is looking at Colorado State, Northern Iowa and Minnesota State. To me MSU makes the most sense. He wouldn't have to sit out a season and I think he would do alright in the NSIC. He certainly wouldn't dominate, but I could see 14 ppg and 7 boards a game.

Considering he got about 5 boards a game in limited minutes for the Gophers, I would think he'd grab more than 7 a game for Minnesota State.

I believe his AAU coach said something about Iverson wanting to play pro ball (that does not mean just the NBA), so I would assume that he'd want to use a redshirt year to get better and then play for one of the two D1 teams.

Considering he got about 5 boards a game in limited minutes for the Gophers, I would think he'd grab more than 7 a game for Minnesota State.

I believe his AAU coach said something about Iverson wanting to play pro ball (that does not mean just the NBA), so I would assume that he'd want to use a redshirt year to get better and then play for one of the two D1 teams.

He would be the centerpiece of a Mavericks team that loses a ton of talent, making it easier for him to shine for scouts. But who knows, I've never seen a more awkward looking lug than Colton Iverson. How many times did he miss wide open lay ups or trip over his own feet? Answer: Too many.

Miles recruited Iverson heavily when he was coaching at NDSU, I believe he was the first coach on him and Colton even made a few visits to Fargo before his recruiting took off and he ended up at Minnesota. He really liked our staff from what I can remember hearing, especially Miles. I think he definitely ends up at CSU.

When's the ESPN special with Colton announcing his choice?

From Shama:

Iverson’s Dad Supportive of U Program

The father of former Gopher Colton Iverson was supportive of coach Tubby Smith during an interview with Sports Headliners this week.

Iverson was granted permission by Minnesota last week to transfer to another school, although according to media reports the program can’t be in the Big Ten Conference or on the Gophers’ schedule next season. Chuck Iverson, speaking by telephone from Yankton, South Dakota where he is the athletics director at Mount Marty College, was asked if his son thought he received fair treatment at Minnesota.

He said Colton never expressed criticism of coaches or teammates. “He’s never expressed any regrets that way,” Chuck said. “I don’t think it (transferring) has anything to do with coaching staff or teammates. I just feel like he felt like it was something he needed to do. No, I don’t think there’s any issues that way.”

The older Iverson, a former player at the University of South Dakota and NBA draft choice, said his son’s decision was from the “gut.” Leaving the Gophers after three seasons came down to Colton feeling his basketball experience would be better elsewhere.

“There really wasn’t one specific thing,” Chuck said. “Sometimes you just go on a gut feeling. He just felt like he needed to make a change at this point.”

Chuck said Colton deliberated on his decision and made lists of “pros and cons” about leaving or staying. “It was a real tough decision for him,” Chuck said. “He didn’t do it lightly. I think he spent a lot of time thinking about it. …”

Iverson, a part-time starter during his Gophers career, was coming off the bench more as a junior this season than he did as a freshman (11 starts versus 27). The 6-10 forward-center had the lowest field goal percentage of his college career, .446 versus .603 as a freshman. Even some of his close-in shots were off target.

Chuck said his son "lost confidence” this season. “I think he’d take as much blame for that as anybody,” his father said. “Coaches make tough decisions (on playing time). He lost some confidence. Some shots that were going for him earlier. The mind is a very powerful tool.”

Options Probably Don’t Include Iowa State

Chuck said his son talked to one potential college last Friday and will have several possible places to transfer. If Colton chooses a Division II school he can play next fall, but a Division I choice means sitting out a season.

There will be “tough decisions” deciding on that issue and also landing somewhere Colton believes he can contribute. “He’s had some really good offers that he likes,” Chuck said. “Some quality schools, some quality basketball programs that certainly have piqued his interest.”

The older Iverson wouldn’t detail much about potential options, although he did say his alma mater of South Dakota will likely be considered. Asked about Iowa State which has been loading up with transfers including former Gopher Royce White, Chuck said he’s not “aware” of the Cyclones being in contact.

The younger Iverson wants to play pro basketball after college, perhaps in Europe. His dad described the NBA, at least for now, as a “stretch.” In three years with the Gophers, Colton averaged between 5 and 5.4 points per game and never more than 5 rebounds. He was an aggressive defender ready to block shots or muscle opponents out of the way.

“He loves playing basketball,” Chuck said. “I don’t think he’s ready to give that up at this point of his life.”

Including Iverson, the Gophers have had five players transfer out within about 12 months. Chuck said he understands transfers can sometimes happen in large numbers in a short period of time.

“I think you look at almost any program, there’s going to be changes,” he said. “…It goes in cycles. I don’t read anything into it.”

Go Gophers!!

What a refreshing change to hear a parent speak like that. Certainly not the norm nowadays. It sounds like Colton & his folks thought things over through & through.

dont worry Mankato has some big guys on the team that would make Coltons athleticism look like Trevors

There will be “tough decisions” deciding on that issue and also landing somewhere Colton believes he can contribute. “He’s had some really good offers that he likes,” Chuck said. “Some quality schools, some quality basketball programs that certainly have piqued his interest.”

“I think you look at almost any program, there’s going to be changes,” he said. “…It goes in cycles. I don’t read anything into it.”

What a refreshing change to hear a parent speak like that. Certainly not the norm nowadays. It sounds like Colton & his folks thought things over through & through.

+1

Many parents would say their kid didn't get a fair shake and complain about the coach not giving their son the playing time need to succeed, blau, blau, blau… Even if he believed that he wouldn't ever say it.

I'm interested to see where he lands and how he performs as the #1 center with 28+ minutes per game.

We have a watch list over the next couple of years-
Devoe in Oregon
Royce at Iowa State next year
Cobbs at Cal
& Colt?

Devoe

We have a watch list over the next couple of years-
Devoe in Oregon
Royce at Iowa State next year
Cobbs at Cal
& Colt?

I'm especially curious to see if Devoe decides to sit out all of next year (meaning he'd have sat out 1.5 years) so that he'll have a full season of eligibility remaining in 2012-13, or if he just wants to finish up as quickly as possible and only play a half season (2011-12) with the Ducks. I know patience isn't usually a priority on a young person's list, but I would think Devoe would want to play the full season (2012-13).

I'm especially curious to see if Devoe decides to sit out all of next year (meaning he'd have sat out 1.5 years) so that he'll have a full season of eligibility remaining in 2012-13, or if he just wants to finish up as quickly as possible and only play a half season (2011-12) with the Ducks. I know patience isn't usually a priority on a young person's list, but I would think Devoe would want to play the full season (2012-13).

I predict the partial season based on reports that one of the reasons he chose the Ducks was the quarter system which ends the term in early December and would make him eligible sooner. If the calendar is correct, he may miss only a few games, maybe even fewer than this year.

Depends on how their particular schedule for 2011-12 comes together, but Devoe would miss only 8 games or so this coming season. That said, I'd expect him to start playing in December for Oregon.

Well, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar...

The Iverson's are still scouting a team for Colton--what do you expect them to say? I suspect there's more to the story, but the most important thing right now is that Iverson lands with a team that is a good fit. He needs a red-shirt year to build chemistry with his teammates and unlearn some bad habits picked up after three years at the U of MN. Will watch for him wherever he lands 'cause the kid has more talent than was developed in this program.

Well, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar...

The Iverson's are still scouting a team for Colton--what do you expect them to say? I suspect there's more to the story, but the most important thing right now is that Iverson lands with a team that is a good fit. He needs a red-shirt year to build chemistry with his teammates and unlearn some bad habits picked up after three years at the U of MN. Will watch for him wherever he lands 'cause the kid has more talent than was developed in this program.

I don't hang in the inner circles of basketball and have no desire to, but the only player's family I ever met was Iverson's. I sat across the aisle from his dad on a plane two years ago, and found him to be a basic, straight shooting, nice guy. Nothing he said here deviates from that, and there is no reason to doubt his sincerity. I don't think he is blowing smoke. He was honest and direct about him "losing confidence." That was painfully obvious this year.

I agree with you that he was/is a better player than he showed (certainly this year), but there is no reason for any of us to believe he is holding back some dark secret about the program. People make decisions. There doesn't have to be a smoking gun behind them. I am grateful the family was respectful and polite. It shows some class. I wish them well, and I will not be surprised to see Colt get paid to play the game in the future.

Top Bottom