Iverson: ‘It Was Best For Me To Move On’

Blizzard

Reaction score
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse by posting this one:

Colton Iverson is once again a free agent.

Calling it a “gut feeling” and saying that it was the right move, the Yankton native spoke out about his much-publicized exit from the University of Minnesota.

In a lengthy email to the Press & Dakotan on Saturday, Iverson said it was a “tough” decision to leave Minnesota after playing three years for head coach Tubby Smith and the Gophers.

It was made public last Friday that the 6-foot-10 junior was granted a release from his scholarship, effectively allowing him to transfer to another school — where, he hasn’t decided yet.

“The thought of transferring has went through my head before, but my parents and I just got together after our season was over and we agreed that it was best for me to move on,” he wrote in the email.

“It was more of just a gut feeling that it would be best for me, and my parents and I just agreed on it.”

Iverson averaged 5.4 points and 5 rebounds for Minnesota this season, helping the Gophers crack the top-20 for most of the season. Minnesota would finish 17-14 overall — 6-12 in the Big Ten Conference — and miss the post-season.

According to a report in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Iverson sought his release last week but Minnesota didn’t allow him to leave until Wednesday.

“It was very tough, I have built such good relationships with the players and coaches here so it wasn’t easy when the time came to tell them,” Iverson said in his email.

Minnesota also imposed restrictions that will forbid Iverson from transferring to another Big Ten school or to a program that the Gophers are scheduled to face next season.

If Iverson transfers to another Division I school, he will have to redshirt, which means his senior season won’t be played until 2012-13. He is eligible to play for a D-II or lower level school next season.

“I am looking forward to having an exciting senior year,” he said.

Where that final collegiate season will be played is the next question.

Saying it is still “way too early to tell,” Iverson said he has already been contacted by a “few” schools, but would not name any potential suitors.

“I’m just going to take my time and see who’s interested and try to find the best fit for me,” he wrote.

And so, the next few weeks or months will play out much like things did when Iverson was a senior at Yankton High School and was deciding where to sign.

The summer before his senior year at YHS, Iverson received scholarship offers from over 25 Division I schools. Coaches from several major programs sent representatives to Yankton for a private workout that summer.

In the end, Iverson chose Minnesota over such schools as Florida and Nebraska.

Once at Minnesota, Iverson started 27 games as a freshman and averaged 5.4 points and 3.6 rebounds. The Gophers advanced to the NCAA Tournament, losing to Texas in the first round.

Then, as a sophomore, Iverson shifted to more of a reserve role with the Gophers. He still played in all 35 games, and averaged 5 points and 4.4 rebounds. Again, Minnesota lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament — this time to Xavier.

And now, after his junior season with Minnesota, Iverson is headed elsewhere.

“My experience at the U has been great,” he wrote. “It has had its up and downs like every team goes through, but I think I learned a lot here.”

Iverson becomes the fifth Minnesota player to leave the team since February 2010, but as he said, the support of friends and family have eased such a move.

“It has been pretty interesting,” he wrote. “I have a lot of people that are supporting my decision, though, and making it easier for me.”

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2011/03/28/sports/doc4d8ff586cda4d941239264.txt

I haven't whacked that dead horse yet. Colton will be missed. You need two centers, and Ralph is not one, even if he happens to be the designated '5' on the court. I love Mo, but he's coming off a major injury. Eliason - well, I guess we'll see how he looks, but he's an untested freshman.

I've stated previously that Iverson should have been starting last year, particularly later in the season. Way tougher than Sampson and, as stated, the only true center they had after Mo went down. Some of those close losses down the stretch had a lot to do with giving up key offensive rebounds late in games. And, as many have stated, he just didn't get enough playing time to find or re-find his game. He had some brutal stretches offensively, but that was no worse than Ralph's brutal defense at times.

If Iverson truly doesn't have an idea where he's going next year, it's certainly a "get me out of here" situation whether he or anyone wants to admit it.

I think Iverson is the most glaring example of the lack of player development within the program. IMO he could have been a much better player under better circumstances (I know coaching is 100% to blame).

Top Bottom