I've shied away from statements like this in the past

calminnfan

Reaction score
because I felt like they were not a fair assessment of the game/season, but for some reason, I think tonights game with Illinois is a pivotal game and will be a solid indicator of the type of team this years group is. If they do not either get a win or at least show they belong on the same court, the will have a pretty rough time from this point on.

I know they are young and developing, and have probably overacheived this year a little and I hope I am wrong, but for some reason, I just think as tonight goes, so goes the rest of the season.

I think that's a fair assessment of tonight's game. At some point this season the Gophers need to beat one of the upper-echelon teams, which at this point appear to be MSU, Purdue & Illinois. It's all about breathing room. Win tonight & the Gophers increase their margin of error for the remainder of the season. 6-3 at the halfway point means pretty much all they'd have to do the rest of the way is go 4-5 to secure a NCAA bid & probably a bye at the BTT.

Lose tonight & with the remaining schedule I think it's no shoo-in the Gophers get to 9-9, let alone 10-8. Have to find a way to get at least two more top-50 wins, and tonight is yet another great opportunity at home.

Rumor put to rest!

Tubby Smith is NOT going to apply for the JV position at Hackensack. He withdrew from consideration after Ted Haggard applied.

We lose by 20+, and lose the rebound battle by an even larger margin.

Not trying to be negative. Just the cold, hard, facts.

another lock coming on you soon, Jshow. Keep it up, you won't last long.

vnjiqb.png

Can't understand why?

And here I thought the "We" meant you were a Gopher "Fan". I get it you are an Illinois Fan. In that case you were 100% correct. Nice call!

And here I thought the "We" meant you were a Gopher "Fan". I get it you are an Illinois Fan. In that case you were 100% correct. Nice call!

Good call GO4Fan, the irony of the situation is truly amazing isn't it!!!!;):p

This is a great win for us. Win 3 of these next 5 and we are in great shape. That would put us at 9-5 with three more home games left.

If we can somehow manage 3 of the next 5 games, I think we'd have a legit shot at seeing a 4 seed in the NCAA.

because I felt like they were not a fair assessment of the game/season, but for some reason, I think tonights game with Illinois is a pivotal game and will be a solid indicator of the type of team this years group is. If they do not either get a win or at least show they belong on the same court, the will have a pretty rough time from this point on.

I know they are young and developing, and have probably overacheived this year a little and I hope I am wrong, but for some reason, I just think as tonight goes, so goes the rest of the season.

I hope you are right!

BINGO, SS.. hit the nail on the head

>>"Win tonight & the Gophers increase their margin of error for the remainder of the season."

This is exactly what I was thinking prior to the game. Been thinking all week that a win tonight would almost make the Rodents a lock for the tournament, barring a collapse down the stretch.

I think the team is growing up!

Hopefully, Sampson III will resist the call to the pros for a couple of years and not leave early! He would be well served to wait at least until after his junior year. A early entry players (sophs and freshmen) get drafted early, bust or only have marginal careers.

I thought this game would answer the question of if we were a very good team who managed to win a few games during a time we were not playing well (against Indiana, Wisconsin) or if that team that was not playing well was simply us now up against the BT.
What is really exciting from my perspective is now that very thing: we found away to win those road games, even when we weren't playing very well or hitting shots. The old adage fits here: Good teams find a way to win, and while I'm particularly fond of the way they did it last night, we can expect this team will hang in there in any contest and will look for, and find, ways to win.

Top Bottom