'It's not about football:' Ohio State's Gee Scott Jr. pays it forward to homeless man

Gopher417

Reaction score
Nice to give back, but things that make you go Hmmmmm. I wish I had this "extra cash" laying around in college.

'It's not about football:' Ohio State's Gee Scott Jr. pays it forward to homeless man​

Ohio State junior tight end Gee Scott Jr. recently showed the power of giving back.

In a video posted Sunday on his YouTube account, Scott Jr. shared that while he was stopped at a red light in Columbus, Ohio, last Wednesday he was approached by a homeless man named Eugene asking for $10.

Scott told him that he didn't carry cash with him, but would come back in an hour with a surprise for him.

"This is something I've always been interested in doing," Scott told The Columbus Dispatch on Wednesday. "I saw a similar video in sixth grade. I always wanted to do something like this. So I decided to do it last week. And he came to my car and asked for money."

Scott went back to the location and found Eugene and played catch with him, saying he would give him $10.

But when the game of catch was done, Scott had a bigger surprise in store for Eugene.

Scott gave him $500 and a hotel room for two nights.

Scott also offered dinner anywhere in Columbus, and Eugene chose Arby's.

After Scott took him to the hotel, Eugene shared he's never stayed in a hotel and hasn't slept in a bed for two years.

"We do things and get used to it and forget the significance (of what we have compared to others)," Scott said. "You appreciate it."

Scott then offered to take him shopping for clothes the next day.

"You are treating me like a big brother," Eugene said.

The following day started with Scott giving Eugene a haircut.

"I don't think he's been homeless his whole life," Scott said. "I can almost see that sense of joy like when he got his haircut and listened to music and it brought him back to where he was at one point."

Eugene teared up when seeing his haircut and laughed with joy after getting new clothes.

The video ended with Scott buying Eugene lunch at Arby's and praying with him.

Scott said he had a higher purpose for the video.

"I don't think he knows I play football for Ohio State," Scott said. "I didn't tell him. It wasn't about football or Ohio State. It's about genuinely being nice to others."

Scott said his story with Eugene hasn't ended and that he wants to continue to help him.

"I've gone back to try to find him twice in the past week," Scott said. "This is only the beginning of what I want to do to help Eugene. My plan is to eventually get him employed."

Nice to give back, but things that make you go Hmmmmm. I wish I had this "extra cash" laying around in college.

'It's not about football:' Ohio State's Gee Scott Jr. pays it forward to homeless man​

Ohio State junior tight end Gee Scott Jr. recently showed the power of giving back.

In a video posted Sunday on his YouTube account, Scott Jr. shared that while he was stopped at a red light in Columbus, Ohio, last Wednesday he was approached by a homeless man named Eugene asking for $10.

Scott told him that he didn't carry cash with him, but would come back in an hour with a surprise for him.

"This is something I've always been interested in doing," Scott told The Columbus Dispatch on Wednesday. "I saw a similar video in sixth grade. I always wanted to do something like this. So I decided to do it last week. And he came to my car and asked for money."

Scott went back to the location and found Eugene and played catch with him, saying he would give him $10.

But when the game of catch was done, Scott had a bigger surprise in store for Eugene.

Scott gave him $500 and a hotel room for two nights.

Scott also offered dinner anywhere in Columbus, and Eugene chose Arby's.

After Scott took him to the hotel, Eugene shared he's never stayed in a hotel and hasn't slept in a bed for two years.

"We do things and get used to it and forget the significance (of what we have compared to others)," Scott said. "You appreciate it."

Scott then offered to take him shopping for clothes the next day.

"You are treating me like a big brother," Eugene said.

The following day started with Scott giving Eugene a haircut.

"I don't think he's been homeless his whole life," Scott said. "I can almost see that sense of joy like when he got his haircut and listened to music and it brought him back to where he was at one point."

Eugene teared up when seeing his haircut and laughed with joy after getting new clothes.

The video ended with Scott buying Eugene lunch at Arby's and praying with him.

Scott said he had a higher purpose for the video.

"I don't think he knows I play football for Ohio State," Scott said. "I didn't tell him. It wasn't about football or Ohio State. It's about genuinely being nice to others."

Scott said his story with Eugene hasn't ended and that he wants to continue to help him.

"I've gone back to try to find him twice in the past week," Scott said. "This is only the beginning of what I want to do to help Eugene. My plan is to eventually get him employed."
Awesome act of kindness.

Wonder what's this guy story is to end up on the street. No social security? Military man? Hopefully someone can help him figure out how to get off the street permanently and give him the assistance that he needs. Everyone has a story.

Wonder what's this guy story is to end up on the street. No social security? Military man? Hopefully someone can help him figure out how to get off the street permanently and give him the assistance that he needs. Everyone has a story.
This! I am hoping to do some things like this on a much, much smaller scale. I still think about this homeless man I met many years ago. I have to guess that he had a psychological disorder that hit him later in life (late 20's, early 30's) or some great family tragedy? Anyway, he was an Engineer and ended up homeless. I could tell there was truth to his story, because he appeared to know what he was talking about. It was amazing the joy for him to talk about it for a moment.

Life can be cruel sometimes.

Anyway, peace and blessings to this young Buckeye!

Many derogatory comments have been made about the homeless without the person understanding how they became homeless in the first place. Many homeless children right here in Minnesota.

Probably self-medicating mental illness.

Homelessness is a mental health problem and I think it's a really difficult fix. One of the big issues with everything mental health related is that person's right to live how they choose (I'm not talking specifically about people experiencing homelessness). This is an issue with people who are alcoholics and isolated from family or stop talking to their family to be with a controlling partner, etc.

It's difficult for the state to come in and take control over someone's life even when most of us think it's warranted.

This! I am hoping to do some things like this on a much, much smaller scale. I still think about this homeless man I met many years ago. I have to guess that he had a psychological disorder that hit him later in life (late 20's, early 30's) or some great family tragedy? Anyway, he was an Engineer and ended up homeless. I could tell there was truth to his story, because he appeared to know what he was talking about. It was amazing the joy for him to talk about it for a moment.

Life can be cruel sometimes.

Anyway, peace and blessings to this young Buckeye!
Yep, life can be brutal even for people fortunate enough to have their mental health in order. For people who are a bit less fortunate a couple of zigs when you should have zagged can be catastrophic.

Top Bottom