Its Friday, and nothing. Please Dave Mona followup

husker70

Reaction score
I heard Coach Claeys said that they would be sending film to the Big 10 for review of the offensive interference call. That was either Sunday or Monday. I know Dave Mona mentioned it on the Huddle. To this point nothing. Nothing from the Big 10. Nothing. The thing that really gets me is the officials used to have their number on there sleeves. Not anymore. They used to have a list of Big 10 officials, not anymore. They used to print the officials for the game in the box score, not anymore. I don't think they are in the programs anymore. I can understand not being noticed, but this like a witness protection program. Who is in charge of the Big 10 Officials? Who reviews the film, disciplines crews? This was just one bad call. But it was only one game. I warned without follow up this film would go down a black hole. Please Dave ask Claeys what happened, did he hear back?

More pressing....has the Big Ten responded to the 2006 Penn State game?

Claeys was asked about it yesterday on KFAN's weekly show. He said the big ten doesn't have to say much in their response. I don't know if that's actually true or if Claeys just didn't want to get into it. He did say that every call that is sent in is then sent to every official in the big ten with an explanation as to why the call was right or wrong. So at least every big ten official got to see the plays from last weekend and are aware we got screwed. As far as discipline, who knows.

Claeys was asked about it yesterday on KFAN's weekly show. He said the big ten doesn't have to say much in their response. I don't know if that's actually true or if Claeys just didn't want to get into it. He did say that every call that is sent in is then sent to every official in the big ten with an explanation as to why the call was right or wrong. So at least every big ten official got to see the plays from last weekend and are aware we got screwed. As far as discipline, who knows.

It happens from time to time but it is pretty rare when the conference comes out and makes any sort of public statement about a call that may or may not have been missed in a game. As jaymil laid out it all takes place behind the scenes, and is handled out of the public eye as well. As to the point of not publishing the names of refs and what there is an obvious reason for that and that is the crazy fans that send out death threats and other nasty messages any time there is a bad call in a game.

I am not going to sit here and pretend the refs do a great job all the time, we see missed calls every game but it is way harder than fans ever give them credit for. Refs don't have the advantage of seeing every play from multiple angles, they get to see it one time, live, moving at a 100 miles an hour with lots of other stuff going on at the same time. Refs can get it right 99 out of 100 times but all anyone ever talks about or hears about is the 1 blown call.

I had the good fortune to get to know a Big Ten ref, he has since moved on to a different conference but during the time he lived out here we spent a lot of time talking about how they do things. The refs watch film of every call they make as a group after the game. They review all their calls and grade themselves on if it was a good call or a bad call. The Big Ten office then also reviews every call that was made and grades it. The grades determine what assignments the refs get in future games as well as bowl games and what not. Enough bad grades and you don't have a job next year.

The one point he made to me is that as a group these guys take their job very seriously and the last thing any of them wants is to be the reason a team wins or loses a game on a blown call. He was personally haunted by some of the calls he had missed over the years and said it was really amazing the difference in perspective you get seeing the call from above on video as compared to down on the field live.

As for calls that get sent in by coaches they are all reviewed by the league office and the league refs. There won't be a public statement but it is communicated if a mistake was made, make enough mistakes and you lose your job. The thing that bugged him the most was this idea that the refs are instructed on how to call the game in order to favor one team over another, it just isn't true.

Fans are always going to complain about the officials and they are always going to think the refs are out to get there favorite team. It is a shame that more people don't grasp just how hard this job is or understand just how seriously the people that do it take it.

Instead have Dave ask him why the D-Backs won't try and look for the damn ball..

I am not going to sit here and pretend the refs do a great job all the time, we see missed calls every game but it is way harder than fans ever give them credit for.

While I agree with this statement and can apply it to the terrible PI called on Murray on 4th down, the pick called on Wolitarski that took away Fruechte's TD was a 100% misinterpretation of the rule. Drew blocked that play perfectly and the Gophers executed it perfectly. I find it hard to rationalize how that call was made (I'm not implying you did).

While I agree with this statement and can apply it to the terrible PI called on Murray on 4th down, the pick called on Wolitarski that took away Fruechte's TD was a 100% misinterpretation of the rule. Drew blocked that play perfectly and the Gophers executed it perfectly. I find it hard to rationalize how that call was made (I'm not implying you did).

That particular play might be a perfect case for the difference in perspective from the field and from above. Will never know for sure because the Big Ten won't issue a statement and neither will the ref.

My main point is that while it certainly was a blown call there was no devious intention behind it like some fans seem to think there was. And again I get that hating on the refs is just part of sports, you see it at all levels, it is a main reason why I would never volunteer to be a referee because they take so much abuse from parents and fans that it just would not be worth it. You have to really love that profession to get involved with it at any level.

That particular play might be a perfect case for the difference in perspective from the field and from above. Will never know for sure because the Big Ten won't issue a statement and neither will the ref.

My main point is that while it certainly was a blown call there was no devious intention behind it like some fans seem to think there was. And again I get that hating on the refs is just part of sports, you see it at all levels, it is a main reason why I would never volunteer to be a referee because they take so much abuse from parents and fans that it just would not be worth it. You have to really love that profession to get involved with it at any level.

I'm not sure if to many people think there is anything more to it than him just missing the call. It appears to me he never really saw the play. It just "looked" like it could be PI. The guy threw the flag very late.

As for being a ref/official, you're right that they receive a lot of grief. It's ridiculous when it is at the youth level for sure. I can't speak for football, but I know that in baseball, umpires at the higher level get paid pretty well for about four hours of work. I used to work in a league similar to the Northwoods League and the umps got paid pretty dang well. I won't say how much they made but it was enough that if they umped a game every single day for an entire year, they could make a good living on that money alone.

Yelling and screaming at refs at the youth level is ridiculous. I've been yelled at before in a JV basketball summer league. At the higher levels, I think it's a little more fair game to a point. They get paid good money so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect more out of them. Obviously yelling obscenities or going even further is too much.

Top Bottom