It's almost official: BadgerBeat has Wisconsin going to the Champs Sports Bowl

monsoongopher

Reaction score
Here is a clip from The BadgerBeat written 12/2/08 by Tom Mulhern which outlines that the Badgers are leaning and expecting to accept a bid to the Champs Sports Bowl:

"It looks like Wisconsin Badgers football fans will have to wait until Sunday night to officially find out the team's bowl destination.

After speaking with Champs Sports Bowl executive director Steve Hogan on Monday, it's looking almost certain the Badgers are headed back to Orlando, Fla., for the third time in four years. They played in the Capital One Bowl there in 2006 and 2007.

I don't think I will book my plane ticket just yet, but I will be extremely surprised if that's not the way it falls together.

Both Hogan and a UW spokesman said no official decision is expected until after the BCS selection show, which will be televised on Fox on Sunday at 7 p.m.

Also, here is another clip from his December 1st article in which he interviews Steve Hogan, Exec Director Champs Bowl, outlining why the Champs is the most logical choice for Wisconsin.

The major unanswered question was if UW officials felt strongly enough about not returning to Florida, that they worked behind the scenes to get to the Insight Bowl in Tempe, Ariz., which has the next selection.
But Hogan said he has heard nothing about UW officials prefering to go to Arizona.
"I think the team would probably tell you, they want to play the best competition they can play," Hogan said. "They want to match up against the best team, with the highest selection level of the bowls.
But the Champs does have some advantages. The game, to be played on Dec. 27, at 3:30 p.m. Madison time, is televised by ESPN. The Insight is played on Dec. 31, at 5 p.m. Madison time, on the NFL Network, which is not available on the major cable companies in this area.
While Big Ten teams share bowl revenue equally, the Champs has a payout of $2.25 million, compared to $1.3 million for the Insight, which shows the bowls are on different levels.
In terms of the opponent, the Champs features the No. 4 choice from the ACC, while the Insight features the No. 6 pick from the Big 12.
One of the ACC teams frequently linked with the Champs is Florida State. Hogan also mentioned North Carolina, the loser of the ACC title game (Boston College or Virginia Tech) and possibly Clemson.
"When you talk about playing in an unopposed window on ESPN, where you're going to do a nice television rating, against that kind of talent and making that kind of payout, it's certainly at a different level (than the Insight)," Hogan said.

So....there you have it. This might bring some clarity to the rumors feverishly floating around that Wisconsin doesn't want to go to Florida again and also a rationale for why they would want to return again. I think the best matchup for the Gophers vs. Kansas in the Insight and give them the best opportunity to win and have the largest draw of fans. Besides, I live in Phoenix.

This would suck. Not only is the Insight Bowl on the NFL Network, it starts at 5 PM on New Years Eve. THE EXACT SAME TIME THAT MICHIGAN STATE ROLLS INTO THE BARN! If we get placed in the Insight, then Maturi better fuck with the hoops tip time.

Clean it up

Zep,

I agree that would be a disappointment. I will be in Florida at that time in a pre-scheduled trip. However, can't you reply without throwing swear words into your thread. Admin should take care of that.

my take is

the Insight loves us but will take Wisconsin for variety. We go to Champs.

The only way we go to Champs is if they & Insight work out a deal.

Champs picks before Insight.

Pretty simple, Ball State must beat Buffalo for the Mac Championship so the BCS, WAC, MAC can create the undefeated game of the year. Boise State/Ball State at the Motor City Bowl. Then Ohio State gets it BCS bid. If Ball State loses, the cart could turn over and Boise State because of the Anti Trust Lawsuits pending could go to the BCS and the Gophers to Detroit.

From what I have observed in my particular group of frequently-traveling Badger fans, it is about evenly divided between desiring Tempe v. Orlando. Some want Tempe for the variety, others point out "I love Orlando....once I recognized it as a suburb of Tampa/Clearwater. Toes in the ocean is (are?) always a good thing."

Another Badger poster pointed out that for the Champs Bowl, it will be a big uptick if even 25% of the usual Badger contingent shows up - and it should be more than that given the large number of Snow birds from Wisconsin in Florida.

Either locale will have only get about half of "our" usual group going, a combination of the economy, location, team record, and me finally meaning it when I tell my kids "I won't take you this year." If it is Florida, we may take in the Outback on 1/1.

My bet is the gophers will be in Detroit. The bowl reps have screwed over the gophers every chance so far. Until I see it happen differently that's what I'll continue to assume.

My bet is the gophers will be in Detroit. The bowl reps have screwed over the gophers every chance so far. Until I see it happen differently that's what I'll continue to assume.

If Ohio State gets a BCS berth - and odds are they will - it will be impossible for the Gophers to go to Detroit.

Brush up on your bowlology guys!

SteveDave23 and Gopherjay need to go back to school regarding their bowlology. First, every major sports webpage clearly shows that the Champs Sports Bowl picks the 4 or 5 seed from the Big Ten and the Insight always picks after them with the 6th seed from the conference. Second, with Ohio St. in a BCS bowl, every BT bowl team slides up one seed/bowl thus the Gophers skip out of going to Detroit. I'm not being harsh....but people need to do their research thoroughly.

v/r

Moonsoongopher

Yes, I understand that we will go to a non-Detroit bowl...but only if that bowl is FORCED to pick the gophers.

Well, the people who make the bowl invites are not as certain as we are that the Big Ten will send two teams to BCS bowls, otherwise they would have started doling out invitations this week (like many ACC bowls have already done because they KNOW the ACC will only have one BCS rep).

I feel 95% certain that tOSU will go to a BCS Bowl, but I think there is a 5% chance that Utah and Boise State get to go the the big bowls.

I feel 95% certain that tOSU will go to a BCS Bowl, but I think there is a 5% chance that Utah and Boise State get to go the the big bowls.

Utah IS going. They earned an automatic berth based on BCS rules. Boise State is not. The reason the Big Ten is waiting is because if UCLA beats USC, then that puts Oregon State in the Rose Bowl and makes USC a top candidate for the at-large BCS spot that Ohio State would get. If USC wins Saturday - and they should - then book your tickets to somewhere other than Detroit for the Gophers.

First you said this:

Then, you said this:

Which is it?

I said I understand that we will be going to a non detroit bowl ONLY IF THAT BOWL IS FORCED TO PICK THE GOPHERS. I also said my money is that we're going to Detroit.

Top Bottom