It was refreshing last night to see a Gopher team

Reaction score
A.That was well coached and disciplined (aside from Hoffarber's ill-advised trey attempt towards the end)

B.Used time outs and player substitutions wisely

C.Beat a higher ranked opponent (although Butler may be overrated)

D.Won despite having several contributors out of the lineup

E.Had highly touted young players make key contributions

F.Won in the face of Hightoweresque reffing (my favorite thing about these preseason tourneys is no BT refs)

it was a nice contrast to what we've been watching these past 3 months. Granted, basketball and football are two entirely different games, but I don't think anyone would disagree that Tubby inherited a bigger mess than Brewster 3 years ago. Maturi hit one out of the park with the basketball hire. For football, not so much. I think Brewster deserves one more year, UNLESS Maturi can pull off another Tubby. That took months of delicate negotiations through 3rd parties. At a minimum I hope our AD is working that angle. If not for this year, certainly for next. If Brewster does turn it around next year as many on this board profess he will do, fine, us fans never need to know about it. But if we're in the same boat next year, pull the trigger.

Tubby is a magnificent hire. That said, basketball is a much easier fix and Gophers basketball has a strong local talent base (compared to football).

Think about this though. If Maturi had hired a "tubby" type coach for football, there likely woundn't have been money for Tubby.

PS 6-6 with only one cupcake and missing out on 10 and 11 in the Big Ten is not a bad season.

Tubby is a magnificent hire. That said, basketball is a much easier fix and Gophers basketball has a strong local talent base (compared to football).

Think about this though. If Maturi had hired a "tubby" type coach for football, there likely woundn't have been money for Tubby.

PS 6-6 with only one cupcake and missing out on 10 and 11 in the Big Ten is not a bad season.

Good points. Tubby is one of the Top 10-15 coaches in Div I. Few programs have football AND basketball coaches that are considered 10-15 range. Texas might be one. Florida another.

Maybe the only way to resolve the football programs problems is to hire a big name coach like Tubby, somebody who is tired of the national media exposure but still an excellent coach. The last above avg coach we had was Holtz. I know easier said than done but what we are doing is not working and if we want to play with the big boys than we need to pay the money. Tubby is the exact type of coach we need-disciplined, steady, calm, X's/O's guy, player developer who can recruit. Brewster has not turned out to be that. He is a good recruiter but everything else is subpar and I for one am tired of waiting. I think one can tell pretty quickly if someone can coach.

A.That was well coached and disciplined (aside from Hoffarber's ill-advised trey attempt towards the end)

Umm, didn't Nolen get a technical for punching the ball out of bounds? If so, that isn't disciplined play, is it? I really don't care that he got the technical, he shouldn't have done it, but he did. We/he got over it and the team went on to win. But comparing bball to fball, plain silly.

Go Gophers (all sports)!!
SK Gopher

Umm, didn't Nolen get a technical for punching the ball out of bounds? If so, that isn't disciplined play, is it? I really don't care that he got the technical, he shouldn't have done it, but he did. We/he got over it and the team went on to win. But comparing bball to fball, plain silly.

SK Gopher

Beat me to it. If we're going to be successful, Tubby can't have this team be so undisciplined.

Yeah...and Tubby only has 20 plus years of head coaching experience over Brewster...give Brew time...

So we're supposed to wait until the 2020's for Brewster to mature? I agree that Brewster (or damn nearly any coach) deserves 4 years, but we're a big 10 school, not an OJT program. That's what the FBS schools are for.

That's a good point about the money constraints. Certainly the wheels were already turning for the Tubby hire while Maturi was interviewing football candidates. That said, there were a number of guys with head coaching (or even coordinating) experience who would have jumped at the job, even at the price range that Maturi was looking to spend.

As I acknowledged, basketball and football are apples and oranges. And I agree that one or two all-Americans can turn around a moribund basketball program a lot faster than a couple of 4/5 star recruits can impact a football team. While Brewster has recruited players with a lot of upside and "his" guys are only sophomores, I've yet to see one of his players make the impact that Joseph or Iverson had last night.

I agree with Loki that a Tubbyesque hire is possibly the only fix. The people on this board are all in the top 1-2% of being hardcore Gopher fans, and at best we're evenly divided on whether Brewster is the answer. Its the apathy developing in the other 99% that worries me. That's what was happening with the basketball program four years ago, and another season or two like this one you'll see the same thing occurring at TCF. While I like the idea of being able to upgrade my seats (currently section 105) I don't think the program can afford that. All I know is that last night I was jumping off the sofa when Hoffarber and Joseph were hitting those treys. There hasn't been much to cheer about in Gopher football these past two months, other than Halloween night. And even that was painful at times (remember the penalties?).

With a three year starter at QB and nine seniors starting on defense and finishing 6-6 with a three point win against a bad SDSU team and a loss to a horrific Illinois team while fielding the 114th ranked offense is a bad season.

Minnesota hired a tight ends coach.

SK Gopher

the gophers also shot 63% from the free throw stripe. that is the kind of lack of fundamentals for which brewster would be ripped.

the gophers also shot 63% from the free throw stripe. that is the kind of lack of fundamentals for which brewster would be ripped.

ummm, Weber's completion percentage is 51.6% for the season, for which Brewster (and Fisch) are justifiably being ripped. I agree though, that the FT shooting was pisspoor last night. Especially when Ralph III bricked those 2 FT's towards the end. Lets take a look at the FT percentage for the team over a longer period, though.

F.Won in the face of Hightoweresque reffing (my favorite thing about these preseason tourneys is no BT refs)

it was a nice contrast to what we've been watching these past 3 months. Granted, basketball and football are two entirely different games, but I don't think anyone would disagree that Tubby inherited a bigger mess than Brewster 3 years ago. Maturi hit one out of the park with the basketball hire. For football, not so much. I think Brewster deserves one more year, UNLESS Maturi can pull off another Tubby. That took months of delicate negotiations through 3rd parties. At a minimum I hope our AD is working that angle. If not for this year, certainly for next. If Brewster does turn it around next year as many on this board profess he will do, fine, us fans never need to know about it. But if we're in the same boat next year, pull the trigger.

Proving the point, once again, that you have to spend money to MAKE money. Tubby was a GREAT hire and he has paid for himself many times over. This is not a school for on the job training. If Maturi had wanted to turn the football program around in a hurry, he needed to hire a big name, someone who is a natural draw for recruits around the country, spend the money, and they will come!

Brewster isn't to blame for that....Too Long in the Wastland...that was Maturis doing.

Now if you were calling for Maturi to be fired...your point would make more sense.

GM

This is a pretty lame thread as these two things can't really be compared. What's interesting, though, is that you could have said the majority of these things about Brewster and the football team after the Michigan State game. Brewster needs to get better. Tubby is already a great coach. But there will be nights in the Big Ten this year when people are complaining about him too. He'll have an off night.

I could have told you before last night that Tubby was a better basketball coach than Brewster is a football coach.

In regards to discipline, its not about one or two players or plays even. Its about how the coaches handle the players and situations. Overall, Brewsters teams especially on the offensive side are often scrambling to get the right personnel out there, calling dumb time outs, being penalized often at will, and not getting the job done. Tubby's team had some problems last night but they righted the ship and mostly played disciplined, aggressive but in control basketball. There is no comparison. Brewster teams are not disciplined and often lose and Tubby teams are in control for the most part, clutch, focused and often win. Can't compare sports but can compare coaching in general.

In regards to discipline, its not about one or two players or plays even. Its about how the coaches handle the players and situations. Overall, Brewsters teams especially on the offensive side are often scrambling to get the right personnel out there, calling dumb time outs, being penalized often at will, and not getting the job done. Tubby's team had some problems last night but they righted the ship and mostly played disciplined, aggressive but in control basketball. There is no comparison. Brewster teams are not disciplined and often lose and Tubby teams are in control for the most part, clutch, focused and often win. Can't compare sports but can compare coaching in general.

stop talking

(we could also talk about the way that tubby's teams seem to underperform when the conference schedule rolls around.)

That wasn't very nice! I tell you what I will let you have your opinion if you let me have mine!

Interesting thread. Somehow, it might look a little different after the unfortunate play of the Gophers tonight.:eek:

And Now they've Turned into Dumba$$ World...

...so much for this whole thread. Undisciplined defense and offense, terrible use of time-outs...

I was thinking the same thing. It takes talent, good coaching and experience to win consistently. If you're lacking in one you better be way better somewhere else.

Top Bottom