Is vacant Minnesota job a sort of last stand for Les Miles to coach?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Gridiron Now:

So, how badly does Les Miles want to coach again?

That answer should be evident in whether he pursues the vacant Minnesota job. It may be Miles’ last shot to lead a program again, a glimmer of light through a rapidly closing window.

Miles was fired in September – four games into his 12th season in Baton Rouge – and later told ESPN he “wants to win championships.” Seventeen jobs opened since then, and 17 athletic directors passed on a coach who won a national title and 77 percent of his games in the nation’s toughest conference.

Number 18 might be his final swing at being a head coach.

Miles would bring instant national attention to the program. As a native of Elyria, Ohio, who played at Michigan, Miles’ Big Ten roots would serve him well in recruiting. It is also a safe bet that his inroads in the south would help lead talented players to Minnesota.

Minnesota resides in the Big Ten West, an immensely winnable division with Wisconsin currently holding the title of “bully on the block.” If Miles wants to win a championship, a division title at Minnesota would cement his legacy as an all-time great, like how Steve Spurrier made South Carolina nationally relevant.

The only real question that remains is if Miles would humble himself and take a job like Minnesota. Perhaps he thought he would be holding court this December, choosing among many suitors – suitors that never came.

http://gridironnow.com/les-miles-minnesota-coach/

Go Gophers!!

Sitting out a year and waiting isn't uncommon for a bigger name.

Frankly, I can't picture a better fit. The type of offense and defense he runs, his general attitude toward life, he belongs here. I would be ecstatic to have him.
I don't think we'll have have a shot at a coach with a pedigree like his again in my lifetime.

This is the man who I want. Pedigree ✔️ Name✔️ Champion✔️ Instant relevancy for the program✔️ Stops the bleeding instantly✔️

Enough with the mid major guys. It's time to play big boy football and stop with the gimmick guys and the hokey pokey awww shucks guys.

JK & TC should be a lesson that we do not repeat.

He would definitely be an upgrade. Great defense, archaic offense plus good recruiting is better than great defense, archaic offense plus terrible recruiting.

I hope it's Les Miles. No on the job training at a Power 5 program for him. Instant credibility.

Not going to happen folks

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Coyle is looking for an explosive offense to fill the stands. Miles would fill the stands with his name alone. And we wouldn't have to completely rebuild our team for a new play-style. If Coyle is smart, this is what he will do.

You'd think of Les really wanted in at MN (and I doubt it) his agent would have put his name out there in some way (leak) so there is some pressure to pursue him....

I really wish I had a million dollars floating around that I could tease Coyle with and get these answers...

Coyle is looking for an explosive offense to fill the stands. Miles would fill the stands with his name alone. And we wouldn't have to completely rebuild our team for a new play-style. If Coyle is smart, this is what he will do.

If THIS is what we're after, we have the Wacker years all over again. Nothing quite like exciting, losing football. 49-28 losses by the brickload!

We play outdoors in a cold weather environment. That is our advantage. The more we cute things up, the more we give that away.

If THIS is what we're after, we have the Wacker years all over again. Nothing quite like exciting, losing football. 49-28 losses by the brickload!

We play outdoors in a cold weather environment. That is our advantage. The more we cute things up, the more we give that away.

Have you looked at his candidates? Yes, that's what he's trying to do.

This is the man who I want. Pedigree ✔️ Name✔️ Champion✔️ Instant relevancy for the program✔️ Stops the bleeding instantly✔️

Enough with the mid major guys. It's time to play big boy football and stop with the gimmick guys and the hokey pokey awww shucks guys.

You are asking for Tubby Smith.

Tubby took us to the NCAA playoffs 3 times in 6 years. If Miles made it to the B1G championship one time then this would be a worthwhile investment.

He would definitely be an upgrade. Great defense, archaic offense plus good recruiting is better than great defense, archaic offense plus terrible recruiting.

What developing a good QB? One of the areas that got Miles fired at LSU.

If Coyle was serious about setting a high social standard, he can't hire Miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm, sorry I just fell off my chair. Did you just compare Les Miles to Jim Wacker? Yea, it's cold up here. Something tells me Les(Jim Wacker) Miles can get solid recruits lining up to play under his regime, he'll get an offensive coordinator that can develop a cold weather gameplan and we'll easily win nine games a year even if we have to wear ice skates. And we might even have a sell out or two.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If this isn't real you're about to experience a Taken movie from the other perspective.

It's definitely a real tweet, 120Sports retweeted and they have north of 50,000 followers. I don't know if they have real sources or not.

Is anybody here to meet with him?

That would be just like us. I can see him waiting outside the AD office while secretaries nervously whisper because they don't have the heart to tell him coyle is out of state.

Tubby took us to the NCAA playoffs 3 times in 6 years. If Miles made it to the B1G championship one time then this would be a worthwhile investment.

He never got over.500 in the Big Ten- that won't get you to a Big Ten Championship. The NCAA basketball tournament is arranged a bit differently...

Miles would be a hell of a plan B. He would be way better than Harsin. Still think I prefer Fleck just because of his age.

Actually sounds more like....yep...Kevin Sumlin.

Top Bottom