Is Tim Brewster the Gophers' long-term solution?

It was a very well written article i thought. I think the writer lays out the issue quite well. I think the important point that is made by both maturi and mcnamara is that at this point it's about growth in the program and not about wins and losses. But I think we all know that maybe not this year, or even the year after, but wins and losses will start becoming more and more important as a criteria.

My guess is that he'll satisfy the bosses this year and they'll be forced to extend him at least two years. After that it'll be all about just winning baby.

There is a certain reality in big-time sports. Just ask Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson of the Minnesota Vikings.:D

Joel Maturi has a 6-9 month window to either extend Brewster's contract, or to take the football program in another direction.

Any athletic director worth his salt has a "list" in the top drawer of his desk.
Depending on how this season goes, Maturi will have a decision to make.

The bottom line is if Maturi can upgrade his head football coaching position at year end (i.e. grab a Tony Dungy, if available...or a Phil Fulmer type guy), then he has to at least take a look--clandestinely, of course-- especially if the Gophers are 5-7, or worse, and home for the holidays.

AD Martin over in Ann Arbor may have a similar decision to make, as might Barry Alvarez in Madison?? It will be an interesting season.

P.S. It is very possible that Brewster's successor(s) will look back at the non-conference scheduling that was put together way back in 2009, and decide that someone was off his rocker.

Joel Maturi has a 6-9 month window to either extend Brewster's contract, or to take the football program in another direction.

Actually, his contract expires long after the 6-9 month timeframe you just pulled out of you @ss.

Assuming he'd have to make a decision at the end of November and given each of the possibilities, if I'm Maturi I would...

Give him an honorary doctorate and anything else he wants if we win 10+ games
Sign him for another long term (5 or 6 years) if we win 8 or more games
Sign him up for a a medium-term (an additional 2 to 4 years) if we win 5-7 games and are respectable in most losses
Let it play out until Oct/Nov of the 2010 season before renegotiating if we win 4 or fewer games

I have no insight into how the process works, so these might not be realistic scenarios (thats why I'm not an AD)

3 things would get him an extension in my book:
1. Win at least one trophy
2. .500 or better in the Big Ten
3. Signature win, preferably on the road at PSU or OSU, but I'd give credit for beating Cal.

Top Bottom