Is this the calm before the storm?

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I stop in often on Gopherhole to see how things are going. Every year the number of hits to Gopherhole has to hit a peak the closer we get to National Signing Day. However, I don't think I have ever seen a more less eventful or at least "quiet" weekend before National Signing Day. Not sure if that is on purpose or not. Are we going to be pleasantly surprised , status quo or deeply disappointed? I guess we will know in a few days..................

"You ain't seen nothin' yet".

A good move by Fleck. With he impeccable timing of the hearings on one of the biggest weekends in recruiting for Fleck, keeping any recruiting news out of the press was a pretty smart move, if he in fact is driving this. He is and will not get any help from the administration of the U, so it's all on him to keep it together. If he is not able to, you can't really blame just him.

Let's be honest. Every year, when the recruits are announced, 95% of the people on this board come out and rave about all the great recruits the U has signed. And it's all bull.

I don't know what type of college players these kids will become - and neither do you. It's all speculation.

Some of the recruits will turn out to be good players in college. Some of them will fall short of expectations. A few kids who were not highly-regarded will turn out to become key contributors. It's that way every year. Doesn't matter who the coach is.

You can't really assess the quality of a recruiting class for 2 or three years, until all the redshirts are used up and everyone has had a chance to play. stuff happens, and careers don't always go the way we thought. Phillip Nelson was supposed to be a big-time QB at the U of MN. He wound up at Eastern Carolina - anyone predict that?

Not trying to be a wet blanket here - just stating an opinion. I don't get excited for Signing Day. I get excited for Game Day.

Let's be honest. Every year, when the recruits are announced, 95% of the people on this board come out and rave about all the great recruits the U has signed. And it's all bull.

I don't know what type of college players these kids will become - and neither do you. It's all speculation.

Some of the recruits will turn out to be good players in college. Some of them will fall short of expectations. A few kids who were not highly-regarded will turn out to become key contributors. It's that way every year. Doesn't matter who the coach is.

You can't really assess the quality of a recruiting class for 2 or three years, until all the redshirts are used up and everyone has had a chance to play. stuff happens, and careers don't always go the way we thought. Phillip Nelson was supposed to be a big-time QB at the U of MN. He wound up at Eastern Carolina - anyone predict that?

Not trying to be a wet blanket here - just stating an opinion. I don't get excited for Signing Day. I get excited for Game Day.

This is the most Minnesotan response ever. You live up to that username with every post. People are fans because it's fun. We have hope because it makes us feel good. Who hurt you?

There is some solid historical data that shows highly ranked recruiting classes often result in success on the field. Is it guarantees? No, but highly ranked recruits definitely help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the most Minnesotan response ever. You live up to that username with every post. People are fans because it's fun. We have hope because it makes us feel good. Who hurt you?

Read the last line of my post - just stating an opinion. Look, I would be very happy if every one of the Gopher Recruits turned out to be a great player. But, I'm also a realist. The odds are that some of the recruits will not turn out to be great players. I just find it funny how people gush over high school players who have not played a single game in college. And we go through the same thing every year. You can hope every recruit turns into a star. You can also hope that you win the lottery - just don't plan your budget based on the idea that you're going to win the lottery. And don't plan for the FB season based on the idea that your team is going to win the recruiting lottery.

You tell me - is this statement true or false: Two or three years from now, we will have more information to judge the quality of this recruiting class. I believe that is a true statement. If that somehow diminishes your enjoyment of Signing Day hype, that's your problem, not mine.

There are all types of people in this world. there are all types of fans in the sporting world. There's room for everyone.

I vehemently disagree with people who think they have the right to judge whether some people are better fans than others. It's like judging whether certain Americans are more patriotic than others. If I don't put on face paint for Game Day and jump up and down, that doesn't mean I'm a worse fan than you. I'm just a different type of fan.

You would look good in face paint!! ------(just kidding)

I think the recruiting stuff is just an extension of the on- field competition for many people. Beating Iowa for 3 recruits in a row is a feather in our hat. Also, recruiting is somewhat of an affirmation of a program's status and standing in the CFB world and that's important to some people. Other fans relish the underdog role. If recruiting is trending up fans feel good about the coach and the future, if it's trending down that's not so good. In reality SON is absolutely right we have no idea how good these guys will be individually or more importantly as a team. If the game results follow the uptick in recruiting, the coaches prove they can develop, then we can all start to get very excited.

Read the last line of my post - just stating an opinion. Look, I would be very happy if every one of the Gopher Recruits turned out to be a great player. But, I'm also a realist. The odds are that some of the recruits will not turn out to be great players.
I'm a realist too. You're right that some of the recruits won't end up as great players.

Doesn't mean I'm not excited about the class though! The two are not mutually exclusive.

I wouldn't call it the calm before the storm...two recruits committed this weekend...a DT and a CB...also a highly regarded OC PWO committed...all areas of need. We have 6 PWOs that we know about so far. Fleck kept every Minnesota commit and separated with all but one of Claey's out-state commits (and McLaurin). He has had ZERO current players announce a transfer...as a matter of fact, got Conor Rhoda to change his transfer plans and stay. He already has 3 players enrolled. He hired his entire staff, some of whom are well respected for their recruiting acumen. He has 25 guys committed with at the most 3 spots remaining. He has addressed our biggest needs: DTs in the pipeline, CBs and safeties now, QBs and centers. And he just got hired this month! Where's the calm you are talking about?

Love this part

Thanks for checking in Sid

I wouldn't call it the calm before the storm...two recruits committed this weekend...a DT and a CB...also a highly regarded OC PWO committed...all areas of need. We have 6 PWOs that we know about so far. Fleck kept every Minnesota commit and separated with all but one of Claey's out-state commits (and McLaurin). He has had ZERO current players announce a transfer...as a matter of fact, got Conor Rhoda to change his transfer plans and stay. He already has 3 players enrolled. He hired his entire staff, some of whom are well respected for their recruiting acumen. He has 25 guys committed with at the most 3 spots remaining. He has addressed our biggest needs: DTs in the pipeline, CBs and safeties now, QBs and centers. And he just got hired this month! Where's the calm you are talking about?

I predict that Maurice Linguist is going to be the best recruiter of the staff. Warriner seems to be lacking passion. Just impressions from their videos, that's all

Does anybody NOT consider themselves a 'realist?'

Anyways, based on Fleck's personality and flair, I kind of have to assume we will get at least some surprises on signing day. He just seems like the kind of guy that would enjoy the theatrics.

I predict that Maurice Linguist is going to be the best recruiter of the staff. Warriner seems to be lacking passion. Just impressions from their videos, that's all

Warriner has been doing a lot of work in ohio. He's been in the mix on basically every recruit we've offered schollies to from there. But linguist is going to quickly become a fan favorite. He was instrumental in us landing Beck and Handy-Holly and he's been really engaging on social media.

Warriner has been doing a lot of work in ohio. He's been in the mix on basically every recruit we've offered schollies to from there. But linguist is going to quickly become a fan favorite. He was instrumental in us landing Beck and Handy-Holly and he's been really engaging on social media.

I feel like Warriner is the calm to offset the high energy. He seems like the guy to come to the house and talk to ma and pa, while some of the other staff are pumping up the recruit. If every recruiter came to the house with the RTB, ELITE, Champion on and off the field schtick, it would raise an eyebrow for the parents as to what they can trust.

This comes from one that has absolutely no concept as to what an in-home visit actually entails.

Top Bottom