Is there a way to start an "Oust" AD Maturi movement

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
If for no other reason than we just do not want him to make the next football coach hire. It really is that simple not wanting Joel to have final say on the next coach. I am of the opinion that we just in good conscious, as Gopher football fans, have to speak out and voice our opionions that Joel does not get to make this choice this time.

Listen to the man and all of the public statements he is making to the media about the next coach. There are an awful lot of pre-conditions and characteristics being spouted off by Joel as being qualities required for the next coach. He seems like he is really out there on this and is really being knee jerk about it, unless all of this understanding Minnesota stuff is just PR speak. I think he knows people see through BS artist and smoke blowers pretty well.

I would hope most, do not want a Joel telling the next coach who and what type of coach he should be. Certainly not the type of system they should have. The next football coach at the University of Minnesota need's to be his own "Man" and not be hampered by or interfered with and meddled with by the current AD. Would really seem it behooves the U to hire a coach that sticks to his guns and is confident to the nth degree it will work here.
The coach clearly needs to get winning and have had some success. If you look at the last coach Mason and now Brewster there was an awful lot of instability in the coaching staff and changes made that seemed like the AD was indeed meddling, pushing for and preaching his philosophy and asking for changes. I know Joel is the boss but he seems to really be almost far to hands on when it comes to football, get up in the business of the football coach at the U unlike other programs. It is almost like Joel wants to clone himself as football coach and then indeed be the football coach at the U.

Most big time football coaches and coaches with egos would not be able to work with Joel because of these tendancies. We do not need a coach that is bigger than the whole program but if you want to elevate the program you do need a coach that thinks his own bleep doesn't stink and that he is the boss in football. I for one really think the next coach has to come in with his plan, stick to it and do not be meddled with by his boss or even held back to much.

If Joel Maturi makes this final decision and hires the next football coach, I have great fear we are going to end up in the same boat we did after Coach Mason was fired and now coach Brewster. Lot's of staff turnover and lot's of constant change and rig a ma roll and again not enough winning or building the program. We really do need some stability in this program from the constant change.

But what if he hires our "Ferentz" or "Alvarez"??

What if he just slipped up with Brewster? Nobody's perfect. His track record on hiring guys is actually pretty good, the one exception being Brewster. It just looks really bad because football is way more important to any athletic dept than any other sport. And brew was just really really bad.

He didn't get the job because he is dumb. He got the job because he is actually smarter than we give him credit for. Smart people learn from their mistakes.

If I hear that he is really hiring Trestman, though, then Maturi should be fired before Trestman can sign the contract.

Sadly it's not possible. Our only hope is if he somehow is incapacitated before he can hire someone.

If for no other reason than we just do not want him to make the next football coach hire. It really is that simple not wanting Joel to have final say on the next coach. I am of the opinion that we just in good conscious, as Gopher football fans, have to speak out and voice our opionions that Joel does not get to make this choice this time.

Listen to the man and all of the public statements he is making to the media about the next coach. There are an awful lot of pre-conditions and characteristics being spouted off by Joel as being qualities required for the next coach. He seems like he is really out there on this and is really being knee jerk about it, unless all of this understanding Minnesota stuff is just PR speak. I think he knows people see through BS artist and smoke blowers pretty well.

I would hope most, do not want a Joel telling the next coach who and what type of coach he should be. Certainly not the type of system they should have. The next football coach at the University of Minnesota need's to be his own "Man" and not be hampered by or interfered with and meddled with by the current AD. Would really seem it behooves the U to hire a coach that sticks to his guns and is confident to the nth degree it will work here.
The coach clearly needs to get winning and have had some success. If you look at the last coach Mason and now Brewster there was an awful lot of instability in the coaching staff and changes made that seemed like the AD was indeed meddling, pushing for and preaching his philosophy and asking for changes. I know Joel is the boss but he seems to really be almost far to hands on when it comes to football, get up in the business of the football coach at the U unlike other programs. It is almost like Joel wants to clone himself as football coach and then indeed be the football coach at the U.

Most big time football coaches and coaches with egos would not be able to work with Joel because of these tendancies. We do not need a coach that is bigger than the whole program but if you want to elevate the program you do need a coach that thinks his own bleep doesn't stink and that he is the boss in football. I for one really think the next coach has to come in with his plan, stick to it and do not be meddled with by his boss or even held back to much.

If Joel Maturi makes this final decision and hires the next football coach, I have great fear we are going to end up in the same boat we did after Coach Mason was fired and now coach Brewster. Lot's of staff turnover and lot's of constant change and rig a ma roll and again not enough winning or building the program. We really do need some stability in this program from the constant change.

Stop this nonsense already and see what happens. Lets say he was able to convince Dungy to coach and he went 500 for 5 years. people like you would blame Maturi for that.

Sadly it's not possible. Our only hope is if he somehow is incapacitated before he can hire someone.

I don't want him making the hire, but I'm going to hope that he has a stroke either.

"What if he just slipped up with Brewster? Nobody's perfect."

Because when he made the Brewster hire he said his neck was on the line with that decision. To me that says he didn't get the job done. Just as Brewster didn't get the job done, unfortunately neither did Joel and I wish he would resign, admit his mistake and live up to his word. The thing that makes this tough is that I think he is a pretty solid AD with all the other sports.

I'm not down on him entirely as an AD

Just do not like all of the public statements he is making about the coaching search right now.
He has been a decent AD for all other sports but football. When he took over as AD he started meddling in the head football coaches affairs pushing for a certain style of position coach and recruiting types with the coach he inherited. He was highly involved with the last coach in trying to make decisions and push his point of view. For some reason, I cannot put my finger on it but I think he will give us another coach in the mold of the last coach or a safe hire like his pal at NDSU or Wisconsin. Just don't trust the guy this time he has already had a shot at taking a gamble and making this call. He pretty much made the total call on coach Brewster and now say's he was the only good candidate at the time.

The handling of this firing and the "leak" all of this mess should bother us. It is hard to trust this AD and keep buying tickets without fearing he is going to burn us again. There are already a lot of empty seats and we have just started in the new place. A lot of that has to be put on Joel.

This thread is completely assinine. He made one hire that didn't work out. Get over it. Doesn't mean its going to happen again.

You should make the hire. Fans know best!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7TxIMAwc1k

Having a major upheaval in the athletic department right now might be the worst thing that could happen. Right now we have a President and AD that are determined to make amends and make a big name hire and put money behind it. If we fire the AD then we have to do an AD search, go through that hiring process and in the meantime freeze the coaching search and lose the competitive advantage we've given ourselves by axing Brewster early.

I feel good about the prospects right now and I'm not going to lose my mind over some dumb Pioneer Press chatter about Trestman that I don't believe for a second. Maturi's not going anywhere, this process will play itself out and I think when all is said and done we're going to get a damn good football coach.

Praise Allah.

It's funny that anyone would defend Maturi by saying that he's made only one bad hire. The one bad hire he made was for the biggest coaching position on campus. The coaching position in charge of not only winning football games but putting large amounts of cash into the U's athletic coffers. When he put the keys to the Cadillac into an untested coach's hands, he should be held accountable now. When he, Macturi, was given an opportunity to put Gopher football on the national map again he pissed it down his leg. Sorry, don't mean to agitate but he failed miserably on that choice and set up back potentially another several years. If I were Prez B, I'd be watching Macturi very carefully this time around.

Getting rid of the AD will help? Hasn't there been enough turnover? The last thing this program needs is getting rid of Maturi.

This thread is completely assinine. He made one hire that didn't work out. Get over it. Doesn't mean its going to happen again.

Yes!
He of course is going to want to fix the biggest blemish on his resume, a football coach that didn't work out, so he is exactly who I want to make the hire. He is going to be motivated by fear of a somewhat tarnished name to hit a home run. That is done by throwing a bunch of money at the biggest name he can get. If it is not a stud, it's because they all turned him down then. tBut.. I think it will be good.

Top Bottom