Is the RB Kirkwood coming back?...............

froggopher

Reaction score
That kid was not eligible for his freshman year at the U. My understanding was that he was to attend a JC in Texas and then scoot on up to the U., as soon as grades were made up. Maybe he never did anything of that sort. Anyway, Go Gophers in 2011!!!!:drink:

I assume you're talking about Lipscomb. And if so, chances are slightly greater than 0% that he ever plays for the Gophers.

Man, now u had me worried for a seconf when I read that thread title!!!!!!!!!!! Now we need him big time. Yeah, Lipscomb is never coming :)

We need Kirkwood to be that quick to the hole back we saw for a short bit last year.

Lipscomb!!!!!

Sorry, my mistake. Had the wrong player. Anyway, it's still too bad LIPSCOMB will never be a Gopher. He had very high expectations as a quick RB. Again, sorry. Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Lipscomb is running track this year at Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas.

For those looking for a history lesson on Sul Ross State Football, check out this video about 59 year old linebacker Mike Flynt.

blocking.bmp

Sorry, my mistake. Had the wrong player. Anyway, it's still too bad LIPSCOMB will never be a Gopher. He had very high expectations as a quick RB. Again, sorry. Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to keep all of our RB/RB recruits straight. They all sort of have strange eligibility issues (Wright- Prop 48, Kirkwood - Medical RS, Lipscomb - JuCo). It will be nice to see Kirkwood back, he was impressive in his couple games last year. I'm also pumped to see Wright play. I'm not sure if he'll end up a WR or a RB but he was a highley touted kid who had to sit out a season.

Wright had offers from:
Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin, Rutgers and Boston College
3 star from Rivals
3 star from ESPN (highest 3 star...79 (Hayes is a 4 star (80)).
Broward County (football hotbed in FL) Player of the Year

This is a pretty fast and exciting playmaker (supposedly and according to scouts), and we desperately need a kid like this. So I hope he keeps himself eligible and shows off all of that ability that had programs across the country offer him.

PS: My "Kirkland" joke was ripping on an announcer from BTN that kept referring to Kirkwood as Kirkland.

Speaking of Wright, does anyone think he can make an impact this fall? I know he hasn't been able to participate in practice, but I thought maybe some of you who are closer to the program might have heard something. It would be nice if his purported speed turned out to be real.

It's hard to keep all of our RB/RB recruits straight. They all sort of have strange eligibility issues (Wright- Prop 48, Kirkwood - Medical RS, Lipscomb - JuCo). It will be nice to see Kirkwood back, he was impressive in his couple games last year. I'm also pumped to see Wright play. I'm not sure if he'll end up a WR or a RB but he was a highley touted kid who had to sit out a season.

Wright had offers from:
3 star from Rivals

This is a pretty fast and exciting playmaker (supposedly and according to scouts), and we desperately need a kid like this. So I hope he keeps himself eligible and shows off all of that ability that had programs across the country offer him.

PS: My "Kirkland" joke was ripping on an announcer from BTN that kept referring to Kirkwood as Kirkland.

I got the joke.. But I thought it was Dave Lee who kept fudgin' up.

I got the joke.. But I thought it was Dave Lee who kept fudgin' up.

It might have been. I was watching it on TV but I might have been watching it and listening to it on the radio like 1/2 and 1/2 Either way wouldn't have surprised me.

Speaking of Wright, does anyone think he can make an impact this fall? I know he hasn't been able to participate in practice, but I thought maybe some of you who are closer to the program might have heard something. It would be nice if his purported speed turned out to be real.

I have not heard anything...

However, i'd assume if he is on this team in the fall (I only say that because of his earlier eligibility issues), i'd be shocked if he doesn't play some role.

I know in the post-Hayo era of Gopherfootball recruit talk this is the kiss of death, but he supposedly has legitimate speed.

He really could play either RB or WR and both positions, there is time to be had.

At RB, Bennett is the clear cut starter now and after him, Wright, Kirkwood and Edwards are all FR. Wright would be a different kind of RB than any of these other guys as he is more of a speed player. Edwards is still sort of an enigma as far as position (to me at least) and Kirkwood is coming off an injury. I think there are certainly some spots for carries.

If he gets moved to WR (possible, considering there are already two RBs in his class and his skill set translates over to WR), there could certainly be some areas.

The game was on ESPNU, not BTN. The Play-By-Play announcer was Anish Shroff. Before ESPN, he was the sports director at a TV station in Yakima, WA. Perhaps that is the reason he kept wanting to use Kirkland - a city in Washington - instead of Kirkwood.

Wright had offers from:
3 star from Rivals

the U required wright to sit-out from the team last season because either the U of M or the big ten conference does not allow prop 48/partial-qualifiers to participate in sports until they are FULLY eligible (i.e. both a qualifying high school G.P.A. AND a qualifying sat/act score) correct?

if i am not mistaken, wasn't it nebby that basically made their football program while osborne was coaching by taking extreme advantage of the prop 48/partial-qualifiers rule? to the point of abusing it? was basically how they built their roster depth and football power for a couple decades. taking in a ton of guys immediately who were really talented football-wise, but had academic issues. were able to get them into u of nebby right away using prop 48/partial-qualifiers ncaa clause. i believe one of the stipulations that schools like texas had when the big 12 was formed in the 90's was that nebby could no longer use (more like abuse) the prop 48/partial-qualifier loophole any longer to get these "ton of talent/but not a lot between the ears" kind of kids into their school and onto their football program.

for more background on this nebby & prop 48/partial-qualifiers deal, read this line from a 7/26/10 cbssports.com article by dennis dodd talking about nebraska leaving the big 12 with plenty of ill will towards the conference and other schools...most notably texas:

"Nebraska was used to having its way in the old Big Eight. It usually played Oklahoma for the Orange Bowl berth each year and that was that. Everything else was details.

But things changed when Texas came in the room back in the mid-1990s and declared that the new Big 12 would not allow partial qualifiers. That's where it started for Nebraska. Osborne had built part of his empire on Prop 48/partial-qualifiers. They didn't have either the minimum grade-point average or high enough SAT test score. They could achieve initial eligibility with one or other but they were labeled. Prop 48s they called them, a nickname derived from the NCAA legislation.

"I was on the [Big 12] task force," said former Iowa State AD Gene Smith, now with Ohio State. "I'll never forget when [Texas] came in the room.

"Texas would not come into the league unless we eliminated the Prop 48 deal. Nebraska lived on it. Oh my God, it was like heat across the board. The animosity started back then."

so my question is what is the big ten's stance towards the use (or in nebraska's case for a long-time, the abuse) of the prop 48/partial-qualifiers ncaa clause? is there a big ten conference stance towards it or is it up to each individual school whether or not it is allowed to immediately get academically ineligible (high school g.p.a. or sat/act score-wise) kids into school and onto the playing field, basketball court, baseball diamond, hockey rink, etc like nebraska used to?

personally, i hope the big ten frowns upon the use (again in nebraska's past history...abuse) of prop 48/partial-qualifiers. don't want to see nebraska come into the big ten and start up that old b.s. recruiting practice again now that they are no longer in the big 12 with texas.

I may have some of this wrong, so anyone can feel free to correct me:

The Big 10 doesn't allow partial qualifiers to play until they are full qualified. So the old Prop 48 stuff that Nebraska was doing is eliminated from college athletics. It is really astounding the amount of players on those Nebraska teams who were never really fully qualified student athletes. Everyone pretty much followed suit after the establishment of the Big 12.

That brings us to Devon Wright....i'm not so sure what happened with him. I thought the MAC and the Big East were the only two FBS schools who allowed a partial qualifier to come to school for a year, get eligible academically and then play. I had thought that with the BCS schools a player either was qualified or they could go JuCo. So maybe my labeling of Devon Wright as a prop48 player isn't very accurate.

My guess is that it was a clearing house issue (kind of like Gray), but it was labeled as prop48 because he had to get his test scores up (like the old prop48 guys) before he qualified. He wasn't a partial qualifier, he was a non-qualifier and now that he got his scores up (or whatever he had to do) he is a full qualifier.

I could certainly be wrong, but I am almost 100% sure the days of partial qualifiers are over.

The game was on ESPNU, not BTN. The Play-By-Play announcer was Anish Shroff. Before ESPN, he was the sports director at a TV station in Yakima, WA. Perhaps that is the reason he kept wanting to use Kirkland - a city in Washington - instead of Kirkwood.

Gee, I though that he went shopping at Costco earlier in the day:clap:

That kid was not eligible for his freshman year at the U. My understanding was that he was to attend a JC in Texas and then scoot on up to the U., as soon as grades were made up. Maybe he never did anything of that sort. Anyway, Go Gophers in 2011!!!!:drink:

please.

let's change the name of this thread Frog. Click on edit, click on Go Advanced. Do it now.

let's change the name of this thread Frog. Click on edit, click on Go Advanced. Do it now.

I am pretty sure that only the moderators can change thread titles.

I may have some of this wrong, so anyone can feel free to correct me:

The Big 10 doesn't allow partial qualifiers to play until they are full qualified. So the old Prop 48 stuff that Nebraska was doing is eliminated from college athletics. It is really astounding the amount of players on those Nebraska teams who were never really fully qualified student athletes. Everyone pretty much followed suit after the establishment of the Big 12.

That brings us to Devon Wright....i'm not so sure what happened with him. I thought the MAC and the Big East were the only two FBS schools who allowed a partial qualifier to come to school for a year, get eligible academically and then play. I had thought that with the BCS schools a player either was qualified or they could go JuCo. So maybe my labeling of Devon Wright as a prop48 player isn't very accurate.

My guess is that it was a clearing house issue (kind of like Gray), but it was labeled as prop48 because he had to get his test scores up (like the old prop48 guys) before he qualified. He wasn't a partial qualifier, he was a non-qualifier and now that he got his scores up (or whatever he had to do) he is a full qualifier.

I could certainly be wrong, but I am almost 100% sure the days of partial qualifiers are over.

i certainly hope so. think it was pretty cheap the way nebraska built their program for a number of years under osborne. most other schools wouldn't let a lot of those guys in that nebraska allowed for a long time.

Looks like Lipscomb is running track this year at Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas.

For those looking for a history lesson on Sul Ross State Football, check out this video about 59 year old linebacker Mike Flynt.

blocking.bmp

Thats crazy. Four star signee to the Big Ten to no scholarship Division III.

When Wright arrived he showed good quickness, but didn't have the B1G body yet. I've been told he has gotten a lot bigger from a year plus in the weight room. I predict Kirkwood and Wright will be a productive duo over the next few years.

Nebraska Prop 48 Info........

So that's how Big Red had all those great years under Osborne. I am certainly NOT taking anything away from TO's coaching ability and his staff,etc. but it looks like he did it legally (at that time in the 70's & 80's). Did not know about the old prop 48 specifics. Go Gophers!!!:pig:

Top Bottom