Is Maturi pressuring Brewster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAGopher

Reaction score
I sure hope not because I don't believe an AD should try to direct the Head Coach. But the talk about Cosgrove has me wondering, and a little worried, that Maturi is trying to influence Brewster's picks. Here's what we've heard:

1. Sid says Maturi is recommending Cosgrove and at the same time Maturi told Sid that Brewster didn't like Roof leaving. It sure sounds like Maturi spoke to Sid and leaked Cosgrove's name. Why would Maturi do that if it wasn't to influence the hiring decision.

2. Word from GI is that Cosgrove is nearly a done deal. I'm sure they have their connections over there, so the information is coming from somewhere, maybe Maturi?

3. Now GI is reporting that Cosgrove may come in as the co-defensive coordinator. It sure sounds like someone is pushing Cosgrove hard and since he's slipped from the DC to the co-DC, maybe Maturi is leaking scenarios for his old friend.

I hope I'm wrong because I like the direction Brewster is taking our program. Every move and hire looks to be better than the last and given time I think he'll have us competing for championships. Brewster seems like a guy that wants to run his own show, and if Maturi starts to dictate job hires, he just might move on to another opportunity. Something I don't want to happen unless Brew proves he can't be our HC and we're still 2 years away from knowing.

I sure hope not because I don't believe an AD should try to direct the Head Coach. But the talk about Cosgrove has me wondering, and a little worried, that Maturi is trying to influence Brewster's picks. Here's what we've heard:

1. Sid says Maturi is recommending Cosgrove and at the same time Maturi told Sid that Brewster didn't like Roof leaving. It sure sounds like Maturi spoke to Sid and leaked Cosgrove's name. Why would Maturi do that if it wasn't to influence the hiring decision.

2. Word from GI is that Cosgrove is nearly a done deal. I'm sure they have their connections over there, so the information is coming from somewhere, maybe Maturi?

3. Now GI is reporting that Cosgrove may come in as the co-offensive coordinator. It sure sounds like someone is pushing Cosgrove hard and since he's slipped from the OC to the co-OC, maybe Maturi is leaking scenarios for his old friend.

I hope I'm wrong because I like the direction Brewster is taking our program. Every move and hire looks to be better than the last and given time I think he'll have us competing for championships. Brewster seems like a guy that wants to run his own show, and if Maturi starts to dictate job hires, he just might move on to another opportunity. Something I don't want to happen unless Brew proves he can't be our HC and we're still 2 years away from knowing.

We all know that Maturi wants to get as many guys here from his dream school(Wisconsin) as possible. I think Brewster however wants Cosgrove just as much as Maturi in regards to this decision and I am concerned that they will hire this terrible coach. His defensive rankings speak for themselves and I went back and looked at all the athletes at Nebraska that he was listed as the recruiter on during his time in there and there were a grand total of 2 players in 4 years that he recruited that had any significance to that program. He may not be as great a recruiter as people think.

correction

Cosgrove is Defense not Offense. Although I see how you could get confused because Cosgrove will be responsible for a LOT of points being scored.

One of my biggest issues with Maturi is that anytime we have a situation where we are looking to hire a coach, he seems to go back to his love of all things Wisconsin. He supposedly did that when we were looking for a new football coach three years ago and he's apparently doing it again.

Personally, I don't really care about how great things were when Maturi was in Wisconsin. And I look at the hiring of Cosgrove as more of a nod to the good ole days in Madison than what is best for the program. Now, I might be completely off on this, but I don't really want to see Badger re-treads coaching the maroon and gold.

I want fresh blood with fresh ideas and a new approach, not somebody that Maturi can share old war-time stories with about how great things were in Wisconsin back in the day.

Again, I could be completely wrong on this and what I just said might not be what's really happening in this case. But this whole thing about Cosgrove being the best choice is just fishy to me for some reason.

Cosgrove is Defense not Offense. Although I see how you could get confused because Cosgrove will be responsible for a LOT of points being scored.

Thank you for the correction. I knew that and maybe I should proof read!

One of my biggest issues with Maturi is that anytime we have a situation where we are looking to hire a coach, he seems to go back to his love of all things Wisconsin. He supposedly did that when we were looking for a new football coach three years ago and he's apparently is doing it again.

Personally, I don't really care about how great things were when Maturi was in Wisconsin. And I look at the hiring of Cosgrove as more of a nod to the good ole days in Madison than what is best for the program. Now, I might be completely off on this, but I don't really want to see Badger re-treads coaching the maroon and gold.

I want fresh blood with fresh ideas and a new approach, not somebody that Maturi can share old war-time stories with about how great things were in Wisconsin back in the day.

Again, I could be completely wrong on this and what I just said might not be what's really happening in this case. But this whole thing about Cosgrove being the best choice is just fishy to me for some reason.

I cannot agree more, we all know that if Wisconsin called today and offered him the A.D. job there would be skids marks out of his parking sport here as he could not get there soon enough.

Cosgrove and Brewster have a long-standing relationship dating back to the 80s. Maturi would have no impact on this hire.

Besides everyone is freakin' out about the hire, but Cosgrove will not have full authority over the defense...take it for what it's worth.

Cosgrove and Brewster have a long-standing relationship dating back to the 80s. Maturi would have no impact on this hire.

Besides everyone is freakin' out about the hire, but Cosgrove will not have full authority over the defense...take it for what it's worth.

Why would we hire a new DC if they wouldn't have full authority over the defense? Since day one, Brewster has said that he wants the coordinators to run their part of the team. Has that now changed?

Cosgrove is great at taking good defenses and making them TERRIBLE. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE NEED NOW. IT WOULD BE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that Brewster and Cosgrove have a relationship together but don't think that if you boss recommends someone that it won't have any influence. Red Flag: not the right candidate to hire if you cannot trust him and grant him full authority over the defense.

3. Now GI is reporting that Cosgrove may come in as the co-defensive coordinator. It sure sounds like someone is pushing Cosgrove hard and since he's slipped from the DC to the co-DC, maybe Maturi is leaking scenarios for his old friend.

I don't believe Maturi would pressure Brewster (or any of his coaches) to make any specific hire. I'm not an insider and have no specific knowledge, but everything I have heard Maturi say over the years about any of our teams makes it pretty clear (his public stance at least) that the coaches run their own programs. In this case, it sounds like Brewster's relationship with Cosgrove is as close as Maturi's.

Just out of curiosity, how many former University of Wisconsin coaches have been hired since Maturi took over as AD?

I don't believe Maturi would pressure Brewster (or any of his coaches) to make any specific hire. I'm not an insider and have no specific knowledge, but everything I have heard Maturi say over the years about any of our teams makes it pretty clear (his public stance at least) that the coaches run their own programs. In this case, it sounds like Brewster's relationship with Cosgrove is as close as Maturi's.

Just out of curiosity, how many former University of Wisconsin coaches have been hired since Maturi took over as AD?

That certainly seems to be his track record. But why would he tell Sid that Cosgrove is a likely hire? That's the mystery here. Maturi could now be feeling the pressure to get the football team on track and he thinks Cosgrove would be a good fit. Yes, Brewster has a history with Cosgrove, but you'd think he would have hired him last year if he really wanted him.

That certainly seems to be his track record. But why would he tell Sid that Cosgrove is a likely hire? That's the mystery here.

The mystery is how you go from "One reason that Kevin Cosgrove is likely to replace departed Ted Roof as the Gophers defensive coordinator is that he received a very good recommendation from Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi," - to - Maturi telling Sid that Cosgrove was the likely hire.

Sid said he was the likely hire, not Maturi. Maturi gave Brew a recommendation....just as probably hundreds of other people gave Brew recommendations. Brew and Cosgrove have known each other for 25 years!

Maturi

If he loves Madison so much maybe the Edgewood HS AD job will be open soon.....Cuz Barry is not leaving that job anytime soon.

The mystery is how you go from "One reason that Kevin Cosgrove is likely to replace departed Ted Roof as the Gophers defensive coordinator is that he received a very good recommendation from Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi," - to - Maturi telling Sid that Cosgrove was the likely hire.

Sid said he was the likely hire, not Maturi. Maturi gave Brew a recommendation....just as probably hundreds of other people gave Brew recommendations. Brew and Cosgrove have known each other for 25 years!

The way it was reported by Sid, it sure seemed like he got the information straight from Maturi. And I didn't say Maturi was pressuring Brewster, I said it looked like he may be. Maturi could have said he recommended Cosgrove and Sid reported it as a likely hire, or he could have just told Sid that Cosgrove is the likely hire. In any event, Maturi should not be laying names out there because it never helps in either the selection process or the salary negotiations.

The way it was reported by Sid, it sure seemed like he got the information straight from Maturi. And I didn't say Maturi was pressuring Brewster, I said it looked like he may be. Maturi could have said he recommended Cosgrove and Sid reported it as a likely hire, or he could have just told Sid that Cosgrove is the likely hire. In any event, Maturi should not be laying names out there because it never helps in either the selection process or the salary negotiations.

Your life will be a lot easier if you stop taking Sid's words as the bible or try to interpret their meaning. The Cosgrove talk began pretty early yesterday so it's pretty easy to say he's the likely choice. In the same column it said Georgia Tech was Auburn's SEC rival in reference to Roof.

We still don't know if Maturi and Sid even talked or if it came from a third party.

Sid hasn't written his own column in many, many years...he just hands off his tapes.

I cannot agree more, we all know that if Wisconsin called today and offered him the A.D. job there would be skids marks out of his parking sport here as he could not get there soon enough.

It would make more sense that he would go back to Notre Dame if had the chance and he DIDN'T.

Time to give Maturi some slack as you are reacting with emotions and not hard facts. IMHO

It would make more sense that he would go back to Notre Dame if had the chance and he DIDN'T.

Time to give Maturi some slack as you are reacting with emotions and not hard facts. IMHO

What do you mean? Maturi is to blame for all of our problems. Nevermind he gave enough money to Roof to make him the highest paid defensive coordinator in the conference?

Why isn't Paul Chryst our head football coach...can someone tell me?

Your life will be a lot easier if you stop taking Sid's words as the bible or try to interpret their meaning. The Cosgrove talk began pretty early yesterday so it's pretty easy to say he's the likely choice. In the same column it said Georgia Tech was Auburn's SEC rival in reference to Roof.

We still don't know if Maturi and Sid even talked or if it came from a third party.

Sid hasn't written his own column in many, many years...he just hands off his tapes.

Look Max, your life would be easier if you quit judging people. I just had a thought today that maybe Maturi is pressuring Brew to hire Cosgrove. Sid was just one of the references I made. I never said I believed it, but it is a possibility. Maturi has a spotty record and this action wouldn't surprise me. (I think Maturi has made some excellant decisions, but a few have been poor). If you don't think this scenario is correct, just say so and why.

Regarding Sid, Although he may not remember things correctly, he doesn't just make stuff up.

Sure because the 4 years he spent as a undergrad at Notre Dame 40 years ago over had more influence than the 30 years in wisconsin. Also was Maturi offered the job at Notre Dame to begin with, knew he was mentioned. I wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole, unrealistic fans, difficult academic restrictions for athletics, and a overpaid lame duck coach.

Sure because the 4 years he spent as a undergrad at Notre Dame 40 years ago over had more influence than the 30 years in wisconsin.

Why didn't he hire Paul Chryst or Kevin Cosgrove for the Minnesota job two years ago? Why didn't he hire Tony Bennett for the basketball job?

Please list all the times he's shown he's pro-Wisconsin, anti-Gopher. Thanks in advance.

The UW athletic departments books were recently audited and there was a very strange entry. There was a check each quarter for 25k mailed to a PO Box in Minneapolis. It is unclear who is getting the check, but there is reason to believe that Maturi is on the Badgers payroll and was planted at the "U" only to screw up the Gophers athletic department.

This was told to me by someone very close to the UW athletic department.

Why didn't he hire Paul Chryst or Kevin Cosgrove for the Minnesota job two years ago? Why didn't he hire Tony Bennett for the basketball job?

Please list all the times he's shown he's pro-Wisconsin, anti-Gopher. Thanks in advance.

I never said he was anti-gopher on anything, merely stating that I believe he still has a strong allegiance to his time at Wisconsin. As far as not hiring Cosgrove two years ago, maybe because Cosgrove was already employed then at Nebraska. In regards to not hiring Tony Bennett, maybe because he wasn't looking to leave Washington State and maybe because he had a hall of fame coach in Tubby show interest.

I never said he was anti-gopher on anything, merely stating that I believe he still has a strong allegiance to his time at Wisconsin. As far as not hiring Cosgrove two years ago, maybe because Cosgrove was already employed then at Nebraska. In regards to not hiring Tony Bennett, maybe because he wasn't looking to leave Washington State and maybe because he had a hall of fame coach in Tubby show interest.

You argued quite strongly that Maturi was madly in love with Wisconsin, but I think Maximus was just asking if you had any evidence to back that up.

I never said he was anti-gopher on anything, merely stating that I believe he still has a strong allegiance to his time at Wisconsin.

So he hopes Minnesota reaches the Final Four as long as Wisconsin wins it? He hopes Gophers make it to the Rose Bowl as long as the Badgers reach the title game? I had a job that I was at for five years before leaving on good terms....should I hope they now rot in hell? He probably has *gasp* friends in the athletic department at Wisconsin. Please list one time when his experience at Wisconsin has hurt the Gophers. I'm personally thrilled Maturi had the experience of seeing that football program turn from a dreg to a back-to-back Rose Bowl participant and what it did for the university. Call me crazy.

As far as not hiring Cosgrove two years ago, maybe because Cosgrove was already employed then at Nebraska.

Tim Brewster had a job.

So he hopes Minnesota reaches the Final Four as long as Wisconsin wins it? He hopes Gophers make it to the Rose Bowl as long as the Badgers reach the title game? I had a job that I was at for five years before leaving on good terms....should I hope they now rot in hell? He probably has *gasp* friends in the athletic department at Wisconsin. Please list one time when his experience at Wisconsin has hurt the Gophers. I'm personally thrilled Maturi had the experience of seeing that football program turn from a dreg to a back-to-back Rose Bowl participant and what it did for the university. Call me crazy.

Tim Brewster had a job.

Wow are you reaching far on your conclusions. I have never once stated he did anything to hurt the gophers based on his wisconsin experiences, just merely stated imo that he would leave for that job in a second if he could. Yes Tim Brewster did have a job but the job at Minnesota was a promotion which is why he came here. Cosgrove didn't leave Nebraska to come here because it would not be a promotion. He was making more at Nebraska than he probably could have made here and was able to work with one of his best friends and college roommates(bill callahan).

Brewster was friends with Withers too........look at how that turned out.......

Business>Personal

I have never once stated he did anything to hurt the gophers based on his wisconsin experiences, just merely stated imo that he would leave for that job in a second if he could.

So who cares?

Brewster was friends with Withers too........look at how that turned out.......

Business>Personal

Luckily Butch Davis wasn't friends with Withers so he was able to have a better defense at UNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom