Is David Cobb our best RB?

I would trade 3 of our running backs for one top-shelf back.

We've had 4-5 plays this year where a better back would've housed it.

What is worse, Rodney will sometimes turn a 7 yard gain into a 3 yard gain because he wants to his somebody.

We also have had many plays where a smaller, faster running back would have gotten stopped short of the first down or goal line. I agree it would be nice to have a faster guy (hopefully Edwards can be that guy) but there are positives of big backs too.

We also have had many plays where a smaller, faster running back would have gotten stopped short of the first down or goal line. I agree it would be nice to have a faster guy (hopefully Edwards can be that guy) but there are positives of big backs too.

i think he means not neccesarily a faster back but just an all around better back, an "A" back

So, who are the "A" running backs in the B10?

Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah, Northwestern's Venerick Mark, Wisconsin's James White and Melvin Gordon, OSU has a lot of very talented backs like Carlos Hyde, Jordan Hall and Dontre Wilson, Michigan's Fitzgerald Touscant is also pretty good, he rushed for over 1,000 yards 2 years ago, overall i want to say Melvin Gordon is the most talented back in the conference right now

I like David Cobb and I hope we continue to make sure he gets touches, but I think he is our third best back. He is more patient than Williams and that really helped yesterday when our OL was dominating their front 7/8.

Rodrick ran well today too, he just got less touches. He had a great game against NMSU.

All in all, I think Kirkwood is our best back. I don't think a healthy Kirkwood would have been any less productive today than Cobb.

I define an "A" back as a guy who can put points on the board when provided a big opportunity or a big mistake.

We've had maybe 4 chances this year where a better back could've taken it to the house.

The kid from Michigan had a great run last night from about 35 yards out in the 4th quarter. Put 6 on the board all by himself. That's what I'm talking about.

It would be nice to have a home run guy. There are a couple in the conference.

Could be because of the HR threat. Williams and Kirkwood are what they are. Bruising backs. I think there is a place for both. Williams has been key in wearing down these smaller teams D.

Exactly.

Both have a place on this team. It's easy to identify the guy who could run back a 80 yard TD every once and a while........also easy to forget the guy who simply powers forward for a five yard gain.

Thunder (williams, kirkwood) Lightning (cobb)

Cobb is good at feeling out the hole and has the agility and patience to bounce to other holes.

Williams and Kirkwood just flat out hurt people by bowling ball their way through the designated hole.

Ha....I hope you are not banking on Jones coming here. Based on his talk i'd say there is a high probability he does not end up in Gophers uniform.

Have you ever written anything even close to being positive? Just curious.

Cobb looked very good Saturday and had more impressive numbers than Williams. But overall this year they have very similar numbers:

Cobb is averaging 6.4 yards/carry (341 yards on 53 carries) and Williams is averaging 6.2 (277 yards on 45 carries).

Kirkwood only averaged 3.1 yards but that was only early in the UNLV game so not a fair comparison. Also Williams didn't play the first half of the UNLV game so tough to say what that might have meant for him.

I think a lot depends on the team they're going against. Some teams will bottle up one and not the other depending on their scheme. As long as both keep getting chances and Kirkwood, hopefully they'll keep feeding the hot hand and they'll continue getting some solid rushing numbers!

Top Bottom