Iowa Volleyball and NCAA Agree to Blame Former Hawkeye Head Coach Bond Shymansky

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Iowa and the NCAA reach agreement on Bond Shymansky:

Iowa's women's volleyball program has been placed on probation for one year as part of a negotiated resolution with the NCAA over rules violations by former coach Bond Shymansky.

The NCAA agreed that the violations occurred even though the athletics department had "appropriate institutional control and monitoring of its athletics program," according to a release by the university.

The NCAA's report, released Wednesday, also indicated that the athletics department "promptly acknowledged the violation, accepted responsibility, and imposed meaningful corrective measures," according to the release.

The one-year probation period begins Wednesday.

The athletic department was fined $5,000 as part of the resolution. The volleyball program must vacate 33 wins during the 2017 and 2018 seasons, and faces recruiting penalties during the one-year probation period. The program also will be permitted 77 evaluation days for recruiting during the 2020-21 season, a penalty of 3.75 percent.

Shymansky is also subject to a two-year show-cause order by the NCAA that runs through May 19, 2022.

According to the NCAA's report, Shymansky, who was 78-83 in his career at Iowa, gave $2,000 in cash — $1,500 in one payment and $500 in another — to an unnamed player to help with her living expenses after she transferred to Iowa in the summer of 2017. The player was ineligible for athletics aid because of "academic deficiencies that would require summer course work."

Shymansky reported that the money was originally intended to be an advance for the player working at Shymansky's volleyball camp later in the summer, but the player was also played for working the camp and the advance was not paid back.

“While we are disappointed in the isolated events, we appreciate the quick action of the NCAA in reaching this resolution," athletics director Gary Barta said. "We accept these findings and will move forward under head coach Vicki Brown and her staff.”

Brown was named interim head coach after Shymansky was fired, and and was named permanent head coach on Sept. 26. Brown joined the Iowa staff as associate head coach in April, 2017.

So basically, the coach gave a new recruit $2k for summer living expenses, and then decided to "forget" that he gave her that money.

I wonder, how did it get caught??? The player wouldn't report that, and obviously the coach wouldn't have reported it.

So basically, the coach gave a new recruit $2k for summer living expenses, and then decided to "forget" that he gave her that money.

I wonder, how did it get caught??? The player wouldn't report that, and obviously the coach wouldn't have reported it.

I'm certainly not up to date on how this all went down, but I think the recruit came forward herself. Could be wrong on that, but I thought that's what I read.

Surprised at that, but I believe you.

Maybe the player’s eligibility was up and it was a retaliatory move? Wild guessing

This is what Iowa's Gary Barta said at the time:

Iowa put women's volleyball coach Bond Shymansky on paid administrative leave Monday after reporting what its athletic director called serious rules violations to the NCAA.

Athletic director Gary Barta said he took those steps after a two-week investigation by an outside law firm into allegations raised by a former athlete.

Barta declined to elaborate on the nature of the allegations at a news conference, citing the pending NCAA investigation. But he said they were likely to be considered Level 1 or Level 2 violations, meaning they gave at least a minimal recruiting, competitive or other advantage to the Hawkeyes.

"I won't talk specifically about what it was, but I am comfortable enough to say that everyone who works in college athletics is very familiar with this line that can't be crossed," he said, adding that the violations were not criminal in nature.

Top Bottom