Iowa v. Georgia Tech

MBAGuy

Needs something to cheer about
Reaction score
Iowa held GT to 16 yards of offense in the first quarter.

Now, I'm not denying our offense was bad this year; but I'm starting to feel moderately better about the fact that we got shut out by them.

I'm not...

...I agree with you often MBAGuy....not on this.

We should have had 2 TDs against those sqwaks....or at least 3-4 field goals.

That said....do you find yourself conflicted in watching the game??

My head says cheer for Iowa...Big Ten team winning is good for the Gophers.

But my heart cheered when GT got that pick 6.

Go Gophers!

GM

...I agree with you often MBAGuy....not on this.

We should have had 2 TDs against those sqwaks....or at least 3-4 field goals.

That said....do you find yourself conflicted in watching the game??

My head says cheer for Iowa...Big Ten team winning is good for the Gophers.

But my heart cheered when GT got that pick 6.

Go Gophers!

GM

Word. I'm not saying I feel good about losing to the Stinkeyes by any means. Just that after watching them shut down one of the better offenses in the country, I'm cutting back on the bourbon intake a little as there's slightly less need to numb the pain. Agree with you, though; we should have scored and could have won that game.

Totally conflicted, btw. I tell people that I'm rooting for Iowa for the sake of the Big Ten. But, like you, I may have pumped my fist a little when they returned that interception for a TD.

This Bowl season has at least proved that the Big Ten and SEC are head and shoulders above everyone else. The Pac-Ten was embarrassed, the ACC is weak as we guessed, and the Big 12 drops off a cliff after Nebraska/Texas (The Big East should not even get an automatic bid). It's just too bad Gray fumbled away the Gophers chances of joining the Big Ten victory party.

Despite the fact that the Big Ten has by far the hardest bowl slate it was an inexcusable fumble and missed fg from going 6-1, and even with the losses managed 4-0 record against ranked teams

Word. I'm not saying I feel good about losing to the Stinkeyes by any means. Just that after watching them shut down one of the better offenses in the country, I'm cutting back on the bourbon intake a little as there's slightly less need to numb the pain. Agree with you, though; we should have scored and could have won that game.

Totally conflicted, btw. I tell people that I'm rooting for Iowa for the sake of the Big Ten. But, like you, I may have pumped my fist a little when they returned that interception for a TD.

We agree. Not unusual.

Good to see the Big Ten show well...it just means more when we do well in conf...as to where we match up against the rest of the country.

Why is GT running to the side of Claybourn? He is dominating.

I like Ferentz and the Iowa team, the Iowa fans

unfortunately make it harder to root for Iowa.

I liked watching iowa under Fry, and I started to like this team when I saw their defense will the team to victory at Penn State.

Iowa would have been great this year with one more big play receiver and a Shonn Greene or Marion Barber running back.

Unlike our team, Iowa actually improves throughout the year as they spend more time with the coaching staff.

On the other hand, our team might have fared better at the Insight Bowl with zero contact with our coaching staff after the Iowa game; Murray Warmath, Darrell Thompson (with Dave Lee) and Eric Decker could have coached the team with better results.

I could have won the game by having Gray run about 8 simple plays over and over again.

Iowa completely shut down GT in this game. They only gave up 156 yards of total offense and nearly half of that came on one drive (71 yards). After watching this, I agree with others that our game becomes a little easier to take (still disappointing). Overall a very good end to a solid Bowl season for the Big Ten.

Congrats Hawkeyes. Nice win. Hawkeyes are a fine, fine team.

I'm not much on Georgia Tech's offense as, stick with the analogy, I think it's like a fastball hitter in baseball. Throw Johnson's teams a curve and it's a lot harder for them to hit. Against vanilla squads, Paul Johnson's teams mop the field with the defense. Go against a team like Iowa that is both good on defense and had time to prepare and the novelty doesn't net them much.

Quick rules question. On the fake FG, isn't the ball down at the spot where the holder was on his knee? I thought the ball could only be kicked and not advanced in that situation.

The bowls also make our wins over Air Force, Northwestern and Michigan State look better and our losses to Penn State, Iowa and Ohio State not as bad.

The Big 10 defenses were impressive.

Wisconsin absolutely shut down Miami, Penn St. shut down LSU, Ohio St. slowed down a very good ORegon offense and Iowa dominated GT's offense.

I'm not much on Georgia Tech's offense as, stick with the analogy, I think it's like a fastball hitter in baseball. Throw Johnson's teams a curve and it's a lot harder for them to hit. Against vanilla squads, Paul Johnson's teams mop the field with the defense. Go against a team like Iowa that is both good on defense and had time to prepare and the novelty doesn't net them much.

The problem wasn't Paul Johnson's option offense. Remember Navy and Air Force both dominated their bowl games with variations on the same offense. Tech made halftime adjustments to switch from a straight veer option to more lead option plays in order to get more blocker on Iowa's talented D-line and linebackers. They also used some nice pitch plays and misdirection passes. The truth is that the Iowa Defensive line is more talented than the Tech offensive line. Gopher fans know that there is no overcoming an inferior O-line

The big 10 needed this big time. We have been a laughing stock for years

The big win was OSU as most fans across america think of the buckeyes as the team in the big game from the big 10. They have been brutal lately. The buckeye win was huge

I have to admit I like how Iowa plays the game with a lot of confidence. Solid D, big play capability, decent running game, a QB who makes good decisions, is a decent passer and is able to run the ball when needed.

The one thing I don't like is seeing three MN boys out there.

I have to admit I like how Iowa plays the game with a lot of confidence. Solid D, big play capability, decent running game, a QB who makes good decisions, is a decent passer and is able to run the ball when needed.

The one thing I don't like is seeing three MN boys out there.

With all the stress on match-up football these days, the game still boils down to knocking down more of their players than the other way around. Ferentz understands that.

One thing I also like about Coach Ferentz. He underpromises and overdelivers. I wish our coaching staff would take a lesson from this......

Congrats to Iowa. They got themselves (and the Big 10) a giant win last night. I was very happy to see it and to know that the Big 10 won TWO BCS bowls, plus stacked up even, if not better than the SEC again, in head to head action. It is a dirty shame the Gophers didn't hold up their end, and it equally sucked that Northwestern couldn't find a way to win that game in overtime after statistically dominating it. Even Michigan State had a great chance, even leading deep into the 4th quarter, despite being undermanned with all the suspensions.

I personally don't feel the Big 10 ever "left" but it is nice to know the SEC bobos at ESPN can't help but notice given this year's success.

I was pretty impressed with how the d-line handled the fullback dive, a huge key in stopping option.

One thing I also like about Coach Ferentz. He underpromises and overdelivers. I wish our coaching staff would take a lesson from this......
So you'd be happy if Brewster said that this team had no chance to go to a bowl, then took them to the Insight?

Quick rules question. On the fake FG, isn't the ball down at the spot where the holder was on his knee? I thought the ball could only be kicked and not advanced in that situation.

Could you do us a favor? Could you cut and paste this over on one of the Hawkeye boards please. It would make a certain Hawkeye visitor feel a whole lot better about him or herself. ;)

Top Bottom