Iowa olineman breaks foot baling hay

swingman

Reaction score
Schott, leaning on a set of crutches, is the Hawkeye with the second-most starting experience on the offensive line...he discussed the bizarre situation that will force him to miss the initial part of the season.
Schott suffered a broken foot in a fall that happened as he was baling hay on his family’s farm near Coggon, Iowa, just prior to the start of fall camp.

The senior, whose eight career starts are topped only by the 21 made by All-American center Tyler Linderbaum, detailed what happened. Schott was on top of a stack of hay bales and jumped from the top.
"I didn’t land correctly, knew right away that something was wrong," Schott said.

"I can’t tell you when, if it’ll be the second week, third week or fourth week, but we do expect him back during the first portion of the season," Ferentz said.

Despite a desire to get his senior season started, Schott understands that his return will come whenever his foot has healed to the point where he can play effectively.

Ferentz said beyond Linderbaum, it is much too early to determine who will fill starting assignments and who will end up as reserves on the Hawkeye offensive line.

Schott’s situation adds to the number of questions on Iowa’s offensive line the Hawkeyes will work to resolve during fall camp as they work toward a Sept. 4 season opener against Indiana at Kinnick Stadium.

"Both of our lines right now, we have some really good players up front on both sides, but we also have a bunch of guys that haven’t played much," Ferentz said.

Ferentz pointed to two open offensive tackle positions as an example.
Junior Jack Plumb, sophomore Nick DeJong, redshirt freshman Mason Richman and true freshman Connor Colby are in a rotation of players working to earn opportunities on the edge of the Hawkeye offensive line.

"Those guys are all young guys that haven’t played much, and every snap for them is important," Ferentz said. "I don’t want to use the word unsettled, but we really don’t have any idea yet there. I couldn’t tell you who is going to be starting when we get the season going. Right now, it’s wide open."

Ferentz sees the same scenario playing out on the defensive front where he views the lone returning starter, end Zach VanValkenburg, as the only player with a strong hold on a starting spot.

I would have expected him to do it sorting hogs instead

Jumping off bales of hay like an idiot isn't the same as "breaks foot baling hay" Machines do one, fools do the other.

I thought the "Purdue WR bites a paramedic" was a weird title. If I would have been asked to guess which team would have a lineman injured baling hay, it would have been Iowa. Life is weird.

A D1 OL carrying >300# on his frame should not be jumping off a curb on a whim, much less a stack of hay bales 😟

A D1 OL carrying >300# on his frame should not be jumping off a curb on a whim, much less a stack of hay bales 😟
Really? Sounds like he is a hard working farm boy working the land probably doing what he has done since his childhood. Many of us did it without hesitation because that was part our job.

Be careful crossing the street!

Top Bottom