Iowa in the top 25?

froggopher

Reaction score
Howdy Holers, I still cannot believe that the squawkeyes are in the preseason top 25. I thought they were losing many O and D linemen, plus Shonn Green?
What the word on those guys?:pig:

Anyone with Tom Brady at quarterback definately deserves a top 25 ranking.

They return what should be the best OL in the conference. They lost their starting C but their backup started two years prior to losing the job last year. I think they may have one other loss on the OL but their best lineman-OT Bryan Baluga-returns and overall they have 90+ starts at OL which is top 5 in the country. Hampton isn't Shonn Greene but he was a pretty productive RB last year and IMO RB is the most overrated position in football--a good OL is a lot more important than RB.

They lose two 4-year starters at DT and they have one ready replacement but the other DT is more of a question mark. It will definitely hurt losing their DT's but outside of that their D is mostly intact and it was a top 10 defense last year. If you consider their DE's solid, their LB's top 2-3 (w/ PSU & MSU) in the conference & probably top 10 in the country, and their DB's top 2-3 (w/OSU & NU) in the conference they should still have a pretty stout defense.

Considering the way they played at the end of the season I think they should be ranked in the top 25. Hopefully they start out slow as usual and their fans quiet down.

Isn't/wasn't Hampton injured? If so, doesn't matter how good their D is, if the offense can't move the ball they're gonna get tired. Stanzi has a lot to prove now that Greene's gone.

They will be tough. A not-so-dark horse for the Big 10 title (but, a dark horse none-the-less). They SHOULD be top 25 IMO.

Stanzi does need to improve a lot for them to stay in the top 25 for the season, but I think it's a solid ranking at the moment.

Iowa is absolutely a pre-season Top 25 team. They lose Shonn Green, the two defensive tackles (King and Kroul), and a couple of very replaceable O-linemen. In fact, they replace their guard with an all-Big Ten tackle from two seasons ago who missed last year due to injury (Dace Richardson). And, they replace the center with former Cretin standout Rafael Eubanks, who started at center two and three seasons ago there, and they have some other guys in the mix there, too. Bulaga and Calloway are bookend future NFL tackles for them. If the new D-linemen step up, they could easily contend for a share of the Big Ten title. They have a tough schedule with road games at OSU, PSU, MSU, and Wis. If they split those four (possible), and sweep at Kinnick (possible), then 6-2 could get them a share of the Big Ten title.

In reality, Iowa has fewer question marks than Michigan State, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan. If there's a third Big Ten team in the Top 25, it should be them. Minnesota returns a lot, but we failed down the stretch last year while the Hawkeyes rolled. That keeps us off of anyone's radar.

Iowa

Thanks for your posts fellow holers. Sorry I did not know the Hawks were that deep in the O-line.
Hope the Gophers at least score some points against them in Iowa City this season.:cool:

Go Gophers!!

Maybe Iowa will be 15 points worse and the Gophers will be 15 points better and they will only beat you by 25 this year.

Would that be a big enough improvement for Punky to get an extension?

Hey Badger!

I think you clowns in Wisconsin should just worry about firing your dork coach.
He'll be gone by mid-season in Madison.
Hey, I hear you guys need a new band director!!!!:rockon:

GVbecky

ANOTHER asshole becky girl that can't find work in cheese ville. Feels so inferior living amongst the Minnesota people that he has to spout off when not spoken to. You should just worry about what butt belimic is doing to Barry's program and keep your mouth shut.

Wisconsin is gonna bomb this season and you will have a new coach in 2010.......

ANOTHER asshole becky girl that can't find work in cheese ville. Feels so inferior living amongst the Minnesota people that he has to spout off when not spoken to. You should just worry about what butt belimic is doing to Barry's program and keep your mouth shut.

That is pretty funny since I have lived here for 35 of my 42 years on this earth. I guess I am inferior when rooting for the Badgers but not when rooting for the Twins, Vikings or Wild.

Yeah, that must be it.

What is with the Becky thing I always read. I don't get it.

Bielema is doing just fine with the program. He is 28-11. Not bad. Also 3-0 against the Gophers and 2-0 against Punky. If past results are any indication of future performance, it will be 3-0 against Punky very shortly.

He is 28-11. Not bad.

Record when not coaching a team handed him on a silver platter: 16-10. Not bad. Also not great.

And you don't like Becky, but Punky is ok? Got it.

And furthermore, you've lived here practically your whole life and you voluntarily root for the Fadgers? That's even worse than someone from Wisconsin! At least they're too stupid to know better!

If past results are any indication of future performance, it will be 3-0 against Punky very shortly.

Past results are NOT any indication of future performance. That is proven every year in almost every sport. In fact, if that were the case, you wouldn't have had a worse record each successive year BB has been coach. Definitely looking forward to a beat down on Becky and BB at our Big 10 home opener.

Why would you want us to have a new coach if everyone thinks the one we have is so bad?

I'll feed you some more. I'm confused how believing you'll have a new coach means the poster is rooting for it. I'm sure most posters here would say that if BB sucks it up they'd be happy to let him stay. Doesn't mean we expect BA to hold on to him though.

Why would you want us to have a new coach if everyone thinks the one we have is so bad?

Hey dipsh*t, what are you even doing on this board?

Btw, I think you're going to see very quickly that the WI program is reverting to how it was in it's first century of existence: BAD.

Top Bottom