Iowa fans

salzie

Reaction score
I've generally been on Iowa fans get bad rep here. I've been to kinnick, several home Games and have found Iowa fans pleasant. Today was another story. From kick off just obnoxious. I've never gotten into it with another fan base so much. .. made me hate Iowa more

Anyone know what that incident in 4th quarter first few rows gophers side that drew 4 cops was about?

What do you want them to do? They're freakin passionate about their team. That Gopher crowd today was a joke. Student section was a joke. The Gopher football experience - a joke. Soo tired of hearing about all the excuses and reasons why things suck. Nobody's making you root for the Gophers.

If they are obnoxious, be more obnoxious. Defend your turf!!!! We basically allow them to take over our field and then complain when 10-15k of them show up and are excited when they keep Floyd.

Novel concept. Maybe this fan base should do more than be very successful at apathy.

What do you want us to do? We're freakin passionate aboutour team. That Gopher crowd today was a joke. Student section was a joke. The Gopher football experience - a joke. Soo tired of hearing about all the excuses and reasons why things suck. Nobody's making you root for the Gophers.

If they are obnoxious, be more obnoxious. Defend your turf!!!! We basically allow them to take over our field and then complain when 10-15k of them show up and are excited when they keep Floyd.

Novel concept. Maybe this fan base should do more than be very successful at apathy.

:rolleyes:

I've generally been on Iowa fans get bad rep here. I've been to kinnick, several home Games and have found Iowa fans pleasant. Today was another story. From kick off just obnoxious. I've never gotten into it with another fan base so much. .. made me hate Iowa more

My seats are in Section 215. My view of the game was blocked a good percentage of he game by Iowa fans bumpling up and down the stairs oblivious to the game going on and not concerned in the least about blocking the view of other fans... taking photos, rubbernecking, waving at their pals, lost, or whatever. Horribly inconsiderate. Ushers at the stair entrances need to do a better job, like they do at Twins games.

Fan's the go over the top cheering are usually seeking some sort of validation.

If they get the opposing fan base to react, they feel validated that their passion for their team, and their team winning matters.

In the end, none of it REALLY matters. We watch football for sport. For fun. Mortgages are seldom paid with college football wins, except for the coaches.

Every fan base has crazy fans who really feel they are part of the win. But some people come from areas where their football team is literally all they have to validate their lives as having much meaning. I know of "fans" to the east who are now MLB baseball fans because their team made the playoffs, but to this point, they wouldn't know if the Yankees and Red Sox played in the same division or not. But now, since "their" team is in the playoffs, they are now baseball fans where previously they never watch a game.

If you really start to think about it, why are you letting someone's passion for a football team bother you? It might mean you care too much about your own team and not enough about other things in life to have a good balance.

The Iowa fans were fairly sparse and quiet in '16, '14, '11 and '10. No where near the size and obnoxiousness that they were in the Dome years. Doubt they ever had more than 10,000 fans yet at TCF. Damn near invisible in '14.

At least by the 4th Quarter that is.

Last edited:

The Iowa fans were fairly sparse and quiet in '16, '14, '12 and '10. No where near the size and obnoxiousness that they were in the Dome years. Doubt they ever had more than 10,000 fans yet at TCF. Damn near invisible in '14.

At least by the 4th Quarter that is.

‘12 game was @ Iowa.

If they get the opposing fan base to react, they feel validated that their passion for their team, and their team winning matters.

In the end, none of it REALLY matters. We watch football for sport. For fun. Mortgages are seldom paid with college football wins, except for the coaches.

Every fan base has crazy fans who really feel they are part of the win. But some people come from areas where their football team is literally all they have to validate their lives as having much meaning. I know of "fans" to the east who are now MLB baseball fans because their team made the playoffs, but to this point, they wouldn't know if the Yankees and Red Sox played in the same division or not. But now, since "their" team is in the playoffs, they are now baseball fans where previously they never watch a game.

If you really start to think about it, why are you letting someone's passion for a football team bother you? It might mean you care too much about your own team and not enough about other things in life to have a good balance.

While the crux of that makes sense it's a whole lot easier to do when you watch the majority of the games on TV rather than at TCF.

Last edited:

What do you want them to do? They're freakin passionate about their team. That Gopher crowd today was a joke. Student section was a joke. The Gopher football experience - a joke. Soo tired of hearing about all the excuses and reasons why things suck. Nobody's making you root for the Gophers.

Don’t you have a date with your mom tonight, phawk?

Generally obnoxious today. There was an Iowa fan in front of us that was being incredibly obnoxious to the point where it was obvious he was intentionally doing it to try and get into an altercation with the Gopher fans that were telling him to STFU.

My wife saw a female Iowa fan spew puke all over the bathroom before she could reach a toilet.

As we left at the end of the game, outside the gate there were a group of 6 Iowa fans in their 50’s that were rolling around on the ground in the prairie grass.

I just don’t get it. I was at the Iowa game last year in IA City, and everybody was generally fine. Why do we get the *hitty fans at TCF?

We get a lot of visitors in 212 and 211.

Today there were a lot of Hawks but even more empty seats.

They were more obnoxious than the past few visits and we were glad when they left during the 4th quarter.

Still, if the Gophers had it to shut them down on the field it would shut them up in the stands.

Till then ready to leave this one behind...

0 issue with cheering. There were other fans around cheering not being obnoxious. We initially tried being nice to them, but wasn't in the cards.

They wanted to rub it in our faces, insult us, and take out their hatred of who hates Iowa chant on people around them

We get a lot of visitors in 212 and 211.

Today there were a lot of Hawks but even more empty seats.

They were more obnoxious than the past few visits and we were glad when they left during the 4th quarter.

Still, if the Gophers had it to shut them down on the field it would shut them up in the stands.

Till then ready to leave this one behind...

Visiting fans rarely get under my skin.

Would have been nice if the team could have shut them up (though it is worth noting they didn't really get going until they were sure they had the game in the bag). We had one pretty cool Iowa fan near us, but had had a really sloppy drunk one in tow that he had to keep apologizing for.

As we left at the end of the game, outside the gate there were a group of 6 Iowa fans in their 50’s that were rolling around on the ground in the prairie grass.

You'd be that giddy as well if you finally got to see what civilization looks/feels like.

Two ways to deal with opposing fans.

1. Have a home fan-base that will buy up all available tickets, and not dump their tickets to visiting fans for a profit.

2. win the freakin' game.

Two ways to deal with opposing fans.

1. Have a home fan-base that will buy up all available tickets, and not dump their tickets to visiting fans for a profit.

2. win the freakin' game.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually the Iowa fans in Section 205 were very congenital.

The ones around us were more interested in drinking than watching the actual game. The group right behind me wasted $38 by spilling 4 different beers throughout the game. Overall they were fine though. Not overly in your face. They were just having a good time...as I would be doing if the Gophers were at Kinnick and winning their 4th consecutive in the series.

I didn't really have any problems with them this last game.

I see more issues with Wisc fans than any other fanbase, usually that's just drunk'n stoopids than much else.

Wonder what Iowa fans say about us?

I heard a lot of ..."where are they?". If you saw all the empty seats at TCF (on Homecoming no less) you'd have to agree.

Last edited:

Most post-game remarks seem to be "Why weren't there more fans there?"

and
"Ticket prices were jacked up too high for Minn and Iowa fans"

They buy tickets they spend money....good for them

"They buy tickets they spend money....good for them"

Dude, this is one of the biggest problems with our program. We can't fill the seats...recruits notice that stuff. TCF is a great venue...where are the peeps? My theory....going to the Dome killed the fan base. People go to college football games for a college football vibe. The Metrodump lost that completely. The students were into it Saturday, but not much of anybody else.

And the Iowa fans that sat next to us were pretty friendly. Recognized that we were a really young team and will only get better. Said TCF was a nice stadium.

Last edited:

Dude, this is one of the biggest problems with our program. We can't fill the seats...recruits notice that stuff. TCF is a great venue...where are the peeps? My theory....going to the Dome killed the fan base. People go to college football games for a college football vibe. The Metrodump lost that completely.
I paid $50 per seat to sit in the 2nd deck and watch a non entertaining game last season against Maryland. Add parking and food and you have $400 dropped on something that was not worth it.
People b!tching and moaning about no one in the seats need to realize that others have made the decision to spend their limited cash supply elsewhere.
Drop ticket prices to match the value of the entertainment and more people will show up. Until then, people like myself will watch the Gophers on TV for a much lower cost.
You, who choose to spend the money on over priced tickets, I do not begrudge you. That's your choice and that's fine. It's obvious from watching on TV that you are a minority. This will remain the case until the Gophers start winning marquis matchups or until the University drops ticket prices.

Top Bottom