Iowa fans

Space Gopher

Reaction score
This was my first Iowa game at the dome. I knew there would be a lot of them but their turnout was ridiculous. I guess it helps that there is nothing else to do in Iowa than root for the corn-pigs when the crops are out and the hogs are fed. If I lived in iowa, I'd get the heck out of there every chance I had too.

And what a douchey and delusional lot they are. Greene might be an all-american this year, but he won't get a whiff of the Heisman despite how loud you yell that he has it locked up. Based on the iowa fans around me, I'm pretty sure that "iowa" stands for "inbreed, obese, whiskey-drunk, a$$holes. Thanks for going out of your way to yell in my ear, block my view during a play to dance in front of me on your way to get your 4th beer of the quarter and drop f-bombs in front of 6 year-olds because you can only buy 1 beer at a time and can't smoke indoors. Classy.

Hat's off to thee corn-pigs, you whomped us good. You beat a young, worn out team. You'll go to a better bowl than us and you'd probably beat us 7 out of 10 times. But there is only one way to measure the success of a program - National Titles.

Minnesota 6, iowa 0.

CryingDawson.gif

Gnarls...

LOL nice touch...

I'm sorry that I offended you with the 6-0 comment. But that shouldn't make you cry!

the funny thing about Iowa fans, (or any overly idiotic fans in such regard), is that they think THEY actually had something to do with their team's success.

The fact is that at any college football game, those on the field are 18-22 year old kids, many of whom, especially in cases like Minnesota and Iowa, aren't even from their supposed "home state team."

This is just a natural part of being a fan. They think that just because their university's football team won a football game, it makes them superior. And besides, its Iowa; other than their fabled wrestling program, what else do they have? Answer: not much. As a result, their actions might be a little more extreme.

In any case, sorry you had a bad experience. I know plenty of good hawkeye fans. But, like all fanbases, they have their share of knuckleheads as well.

As an aside,

I did laugh at the post Gnarls...that's some pretty good stuff ;)

I'll have to keep that one on file for later use!!!

I hate the Hawks as much as anyone else but we had some pretty good fans around us and we had a good time, even with this drubbing.

Nice touch there Gnarls :)

I also love the Iowa bashing on this forum. Iowa isn't an different from Minnesota, besides drinking what does anyone do differently on here that strays from the norm? Visit art exhibits?

Every Iowa fan that was around us was great...they could be worse...they could be Badger fans!

The campus bars were crawling with them too. Most were students that grew up in Iowa, at least from those I talked to. :(

It could be worse

You could have to live among them like I do. :(

It's ok, their 23 national championships came in the form of 21 wrestling championships, a men's gymnastics championship in 1969 and a field hockey championship in 1986 :D makes me feel a little bit better.

It's ok, their 23 national championships came in the form of 21 wrestling championships, a men's gymnastics championship in 1969 and a field hockey championship in 1986 :D makes me feel a little bit better.

Well, the fact that the last of your oft-mentioned national championships in football happened in 1960 (the other five from 1934-1941) is probably not a recent memory to most of the fan base of either school,either.

FYI - Wisconsin won seven Boxing Championships (last in 1956), but that isn't very relevant either (other than that my Mom accepted a date to a boxing match with my Dad and pretended to be interested just to go out with him). As previously stated, things that happened so long ago are of very limited interest.

This was my first Iowa game at the dome. I knew there would be a lot of them but their turnout was ridiculous. I guess it helps that there is nothing else to do in Iowa than root for the corn-pigs when the crops are out and the hogs are fed. If I lived in iowa, I'd get the heck out of there every chance I had too.

And what a douchey and delusional lot they are. Greene might be an all-american this year, but he won't get a whiff of the Heisman despite how loud you yell that he has it locked up. Based on the iowa fans around me, I'm pretty sure that "iowa" stands for "inbreed, obese, whiskey-drunk, a$$holes. Thanks for going out of your way to yell in my ear, block my view during a play to dance in front of me on your way to get your 4th beer of the quarter and drop f-bombs in front of 6 year-olds because you can only buy 1 beer at a time and can't smoke indoors. Classy.

Hat's off to thee corn-pigs, you whomped us good. You beat a young, worn out team. You'll go to a better bowl than us and you'd probably beat us 7 out of 10 times. But there is only one way to measure the success of a program - National Titles.

Minnesota 6, iowa 0.
You sir are a complete idiot and I'm surprised you could summon up enough intelligence to get that post of yours on the internet. Sucks to lose in home territory doesn't it? Especially when your team can't even manage to score a single point. By the way, the last national title the Gophers claimed was in 1960. 48 years ago! Thats nearly half a century. If you are measuring the success of the entire program based on that than you clearly need to stop living in the past. I had to register just to reply to this idiocy. The Iowa fans were doing you a favor by blocking your view of the field, you obviously didn't miss much judging by the scoreboard.

Posts like this is what embarasses me about my fellow Minnesotans. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if you were at the same game as I was, but us Iowa fans tended to be younger, better looking and not quite so chubby or old. Hell, I had seats on the 50 yard line and most of the fans around me were either Iowa fans or 70+ in age Gopher fans. The younger ones tended to be soft, phlegmatic and meek Swedes :)

Sal

Tell me you're kidding. You talk about how you are embarrassed by your fellow "Minnesotan's" post and then follow up talking about how old and fat our fan base is? Time to move back to Iowa.

Pot meet Kettle :rolleyes:

Well....it is the truth. The best Gopher fans are of the "older" variety and where I sat this season, there were hardly any fans under age 60 with the exception of little kids with their grandparents. Where were the Gopher fans at yesterday? It was all Iowa fans filling up the bars downtown, providing a bit of an "economic stimulus" for the downtown area. I find it funny how my fellow Minnesotans resort to creating stereotypes and calling opposing fans "fat" and "hicks" in order to make themselves feel better. You do it to Badger fans too. Pathetic if I may say so.

having spent my twenties in the 80's i found the Iowa women quite attractive.

Wrestling is to Iowa as hockey is to Minnesota. Please don't discount the 21 NCAA wrestling championships - they're just as important as every banner that hangs in Mariucci. And the Iowa/Iowa State programs are headed towards domination for the foreseeable future. And it's nice to see the Gophs at #1 in hockey.

Iowa fans are enthusiastic - we would be too if we had their record over the last 10 years. They even brought their unifying cheer to the Metrodome - too bad we don't have anything to counter with. They could have sold the naming rights to their stadium for a ton of money - instead, they took the high road. We sold our souls for a few shekels - that will be the curse at "The Bank".

Well, I guess that excuses what you said then :rolleyes:

Trust me, ALOT of what has been said about Iowa and Wisconsin fans is also true.

Oh, and its great that they contributed some kind of "economic stimulus" or whatever. Clearly, Minneapolis should be relocated to somewhere in Iowa. Oh wait, they already have the booming metropolis of Des Moines. :rolleyes:

Again, time to head back to corn country.

Naming Rights

Minnesota has a lot more chances for naming rights...Target, US Bank, TCF, United Health, Medtronic, 3M, Best Buy, St. Paul Travelers, Ameriprise, Xcel Energy...I can keep going if you want.

Iowa has a few insurance companies that could pay naming rights but the money wouldn't be near as much as Minnesota could bring in.

Minnesota has a lot more chances for naming rights...Target, US Bank, TCF, United Health, Medtronic, 3M, Best Buy, St. Paul Travelers, Ameriprise, Xcel Energy...I can keep going if you want.

Iowa has a few insurance companies that could pay naming rights but the money wouldn't be near as much as Minnesota could bring in.

First of all it isn't about the money. Wouldn't you feel better about seeing a game on Nagurski Field/Memorial Stadium. Put in whatever great Minnesota names you want to.

Was there a bidding war for the naming rights to the stadium? Go to the next board meeting of TCF and ask if they're happy with their decision in light of the current economic downturn - and carefully watch the expression on their faces when they say, "Yes - we're VERY VERY VERY happy." OK yeah right. (Well, at least it wasn't the worst investment they've made.) The best we could do for the stadium club was "Dairy Queen"? You mean 3M, Best Buy et al weren't interested?? Wow, I wonder how much those Blizzards are going to cost at the stadium.

It'll be interesting to see who picks up the rights to the Target Center, now that Target seems to be lukewarn about re-upping. Naming rights are going south - big time.

salaunese - please stop "before" you make yourself look like an IDIOT

Well....it is the truth. The best Gopher fans are of the "older" variety and where I sat this season, there were hardly any fans under age 60 with the exception of little kids with their grandparents. Where were the Gopher fans at yesterday? It was all Iowa fans filling up the bars downtown, providing a bit of an "economic stimulus" for the downtown area. I find it funny how my fellow Minnesotans resort to creating stereotypes and calling opposing fans "fat" and "hicks" in order to make themselves feel better. You do it to Badger fans too. Pathetic if I may say so.

seriously, just shut the hell up AND stop referring to yourself as a "fellow minnesotan". it makes you look even dumber than you already are. you have made it pretty obvious you are a "closet" hogeye grad who was raised in iowa, then moved to minnesota and likes to spend a good portion of their day posting on this website as a "critical" observer of the gopher program. kind of like half your sorry pig dependent state. so please quit with the lectures already bud!

god, there is nothing more pathetic & annoying than most of you hogeye and becky fans (most now living in or near minneapolis/st. paul) who have nothing better to do than register for gopher fan sites so you can make a few posts to try to tell gopher fans how to "behave" and how they need to quit ripping on ia/wi. yet most of you then go right back onto your hogeye/becky fan sites and continue with your minnesota & gopher bashing.

quit being such hypocrites and get off your f-ing pedestals! it is like the pot calling the kettle black. that is all……

Its funny because the seats

in front of mine are not season tickets and oh what a show is put on every home game. The rubes who sit there are always drunk before they arrive. This year it was Northwestern, Michigan, and Iowa. The Michigan fans were the worst but they were all pretty bad. The behavior that I have witnessed is not acceptable especially when you are visiting another teams home field.
I guess I do not understand the getting hammered part. Are these visitors drunk because they hate where they come from and they have to return there soon? Are they depressed because they are stupid? It is obvious that they are fans of the opposing teams but it is also obvious that they never graduated from there. Should I start drinking to have a good time? Oh wait I actually like it here.
The time of opposing teams taking over our home field is over!!!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all it isn't about the money. Wouldn't you feel better about seeing a game on Nagurski Field/Memorial Stadium. Put in whatever great Minnesota names you want to.

Was there a bidding war for the naming rights to the stadium? Go to the next board meeting of TCF and ask if they're happy with their decision in light of the current economic downturn - and carefully watch the expression on their faces when they say, "Yes - we're VERY VERY VERY happy." OK yeah right. (Well, at least it wasn't the worst investment they've made.) The best we could do for the stadium club was "Dairy Queen"? You mean 3M, Best Buy et al weren't interested?? Wow, I wonder how much those Blizzards are going to cost at the stadium.

It'll be interesting to see who picks up the rights to the Target Center, now that Target seems to be lukewarn about re-upping. Naming rights are going south - big time.

best buy made something like a $3-$5 million unrestricted donation to the stadium in the very beginning of the process and asked for nothing tangible (i.e. naming rights) in return. i think they deserve credit for that.

in front of mine are not season tickets and oh what a show is put on every home game. The rubes who sit there are always drunk before they arrive. This year it was Northwestern, Michigan, and Iowa. The Michigan fans were the worst but they were all pretty bad. The behavior that I have witnessed is not acceptable especially when you are visiting another teams home field.
I guess I do not understand the getting hammered part. Are these visitors drunk because they hate where they come from and they have to return there soon? Are they depressed because they are stupid? It is obvious that they are fans of the opposing teams but it is also obvious that they never graduated from there. Should I start drinking to have a good time? Oh wait I actually like it here.
The time of opposing teams taking over our home field is over!!!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, even though you are from the great and mighty state of Minnesota who has a pro team, you dont know that people drink beer at every NFL game or game played in an NFL stadium. At Iowa, we have a real college stadium owned by the University and NCAA rules dont allow alcohol in these stadiums. When Iowa fans go to a game in another city where we play a S&itty program without a real college stadium like Minnesota or Pitt, we like to drink some beer, be social, have fun, and cheer loud for our favorite squad. I know that it must be hard for you to imagine having a fan base that supports your team in a rivalry game at a school 4-5 hours away from campus and brings more enthusiam to your, i mean the Vikings' stadium, than your own crowd does all year.

Keep talking like you are a badass because you are from the chefs hat, the place isnt special. It is like Canada for 9 months a year. I travel up there from Dallas every other month for work and couldnt imagine being exiled the MSP for any longer than a few days. It is a beatiful city and the people are generally friendly but you have insanely stupid Canadian accents and are of no greater intelligence than the average Iowan (that is a compliment:)). The states are very similar with the exception of your true urban area with little to no diversity due to the fact that nobody wants to deal with sub-zero temps for 3 months. Get off your high horse and come back down to earth buddy, we like Iowa. We like the people, we like the state. It is a good place that I would gladly go back to if the weather didnt suck. You are from a place very much like Iowa with a little different scenery and a football program that hasnt done anything besides have a top 25 recruiting class in the last 40 years.

Iowa just dismantled your "up and coming" program in a manner that is both embarrassing and degrading to your entire team. The OP stated that MN is a young team that was worn out and congrats on beating them. Comical, check the two deeps for Iowa, we start and play a healthy amount of underclassmen and like 6 seniors. Face it, you wish you had something like we have with Iowa football, people actually care about it and show up for it. Meanwhile, your state focuses on the ineptitude of the Vikes, T-Wolves, and the oh so popular sport of Hockey (I know, we do it with wrestling too). The new stadium isnt going to do it either fellas. Go ahead and have your grand opening, we will be there in full force as usual in two years. Iowa fans dont mind making a 4 hour trip to party in a decent city for the weekend and watch our Hawkeyes continue dominating this series. So keep talking about how great it is to be from Minnesota, I am Happy where I come from and where I am at. The "great state of Minnesota is looked at in a similar light from a national perspective.

You guys sure talk a lot of S&i+ for having such a broke down program who has only managed to beat IOWA 8 times in the last 25 years. This "Rivalry" is boring, I hope ours with WI heats up to give us some excitement down the road.

Gopher Fans

You want to talk about a classless bunch of fans, how about the Gopher fans yelling "we hate iowa" before the game even started. Must have been forshadowing for the result to come. It was nice to see these die hard gopher fans leaving by the thousands at the start of the third so the real fans dressed in black and gold could show support for their team. The only thing that would have been better was if Iowa had something to play for like in '02 and the goal posts came down again. Have fun in Detroit Gophers!!!!

Minnesota 6, iowa 0.

Which play did they block your view of? Spievey #19 INT return for a touchdown? Or was it the Stanzi to DJK #15 long pass for a touchdown? There are to many plays to mention and since the Gophers only had 6 first downs you couldn't have missed much.

Top Bottom