Iowa coach Fran tossed last night in Madison

You should get a free pass to act like that at the kohl center. Just as Bo Ryan gets a pass at everyone else's arena if he acts the same way

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Iowa was getting screwed and Bo is unwatchable with his whining. I'm amazed the refs put up with his crying. He must have pictures on Delaney.

It's hilarious how Wisconsin fans are calling this classless. Yeah, he went overboard. But they should look at their own coach first. We all know Wisconsin has never committed a foul since Bo Ryan took over.

Way over reaction.

Iowa was getting the same type of calls Minnesota was getting against Purdue at the end, refereeing has been so inconsistent, I understand his anger, but to charge a referee is a bit much.

All too common series of crappy calls, the same as we've seen repeatedly here in just two games. So common that Fran should know to just roll with it, but I'm sure that when you combine it with the close game, the dwindling lead, the fact that it's Bo AGAIN, getting his way with the calls AGAIN - I can understand how it's all he can stands, and he can't stands no more. It adds insult to injury that Ryan often gets away with similar outrageous behavior. Seriously, if he doesn't have pictures, I'm at a loss as to what's going on. The sooner he retires or is publicly assassinated by the other league coaches a la Caesar in the Roman Senate, the better for the conference.

I agree he you should never touch an official, but all of the coaches should follow his suit when visiting Madison. Thats a four point swing with two calls that were wrong. Those officials now know everyone in the country saw their poor performance. Same with the official who called a foul on EE yesterday from 30 feet away when a guard charged right into EE straight up. Games shouldn't be changed by poor officiating. The Big Ten has the worst officiating started by Ed Hightower and the home court advantage the Badgers recieve by the officials.

Hightower could have his own thread!

Bad Gopher; It adds insult to injury that Ryan often gets away with similar outrageous behavior. [/QUOTE said:
At the game. I don't think you can find a clip of Bo doing anything like that. If you weren't at the game -- you didn't see the whole of it. I think Fran wanted to get out and create an excuse for his team crumbling but I don't know what was in his head.

I think fans think that Ryan complains about every call that doesn't go his way but that's what television shows. He argues and sometimes it looks like his head is going to explode but you'll never see him do this. The end of the MSU game a few years back -- he went ape-sh*t crazy but that was to convince the refs to look at the last shot and look at both clocks on a shot that banked in with one clock at zero and another at 0.01.

Understand McCaffery was upset and 1 technical would have been enough, but doesn't he know that the opposing team don't get calls @ Kohl Ctr? I thought that too was part of the B10 rule book...

This isn't the first time McCaffery has done something like this. He's a major league whiner who is in Bo's class, but seems to have zero control of his temper. We'd all like to see games reffed more fairly at Kohl (if not, could we get the same benefit at Williams?), but head coaches have to be able to maintain some control of their emotions.

Way over reaction.

Iowa was getting the same type of calls Minnesota was getting against Purdue at the end, refereeing has been so inconsistent, I understand his anger, but to charge a referee is a bit much.
He didn't even touch him, if anything the ref bumped Fran, that's what I saw

The Big Ten has the worst officiating started by Ed Hightower and the home court advantage the Badgers recieve by the officials.

Hightower gave Bo a technical in Madison two years ago when the Gophers were there.

We all know visiting teams do not get calls at the Kohl Center.

I think I read that McCaffery has been T'd up there every year they play in Madison. I'd probably get ejected from every Minnesota-Wisconsin game at the Kohl Center if I coached the Gophers. It is ridiculous how these refs get intimidated by Bo and let him rant and rave without much push back. I think McCaffery is trying to counter that. He wants to defend his guys and he see Bo working the officials like a single guy works a woman at a bar at closing time. Plus, I think McCaffery has a personal issue with Bo Ryan, where they don't get along at all, going back to the Brust situation and following it up with the Utoff situation when Bo conveniently flip-flopped his position, both to the attempted detriment of Fran's program.

All that led to McCaffery's ill-advised blowing of the stack. He looked like a raging fool. Probably should get a one-game penalty. Nothing more than that, though.

At the game. I don't think you can find a clip of Bo doing anything like that. If you weren't at the game -- you didn't see the whole of it. I think Fran wanted to get out and create an excuse for his team crumbling but I don't know what was in his head.

I think fans think that Ryan complains about every call that doesn't go his way but that's what television shows. He argues and sometimes it looks like his head is going to explode but you'll never see him do this. The end of the MSU game a few years back -- he went ape-sh*t crazy but that was to convince the refs to look at the last shot and look at both clocks on a shot that banked in with one clock at zero and another at 0.01.

How is that any different than this case? Both were upset at the refs. I'm not making an excuse for McCaffery but it seems you are for Ryan.

Understand McCaffery was upset and 1 technical would have been enough, but doesn't he know that the opposing team don't get calls @ Kohl Ctr? I thought that too was part of the B10 rule book...

The sentiment in bold seems to be a common thread here. So do you have any data to support the contention? Is it really the case that the badgers get more of the foul calls at home? BTN did an analysis of the home/away differential in fouls a couple years ago which suggests otherwise. Link Those data show that indeed most teams get more of the calls at home than they do on the road but UW is actually next to last in the league, behind Illini in the foul differential. Minny is also near the bottom.

Team Home FTR Road FTR Difference
Indiana 55.2 35.6 19.6
Michigan 31.3 17.1 14.2
Ohio State 42.7 31.8 10.9
Michigan State 45.8 34.9 10.8
Purdue 40.3 30.6 9.7
Penn State 36.8 29.0 7.8
Northwestern 37.2 31.8 5.4
Iowa 42.5 37.8 4.7
Nebraska 34.0 30.5 3.6
Minnesota 42.6 39.5 3.1
Wisconsin 34.4 31.7 2.7
Illinois 31.8 34.0 -2.2

How is that any different than this case? Both were upset at the refs. I'm not making an excuse for McCaffery but it seems you are for Ryan.

From observation -- at games, not on TV -- Ryan picks his spots. People think he's yelling at the refs on every call but that's just not true. If you think that what McCaffery did was anything like what Bo has ever done, you just didn't see what happened. And the suspension should be proof enough that the Frantrum was not business as usual.

Seriously?

Fran ends up missing one game. He'll have to sit out Northwestern visiting the Hawkeyes. Unfortunate part is that it's scheduled as Fran Bobblehead Night. Darn!

Just curious if anyone commenting on how Iowa was getting the bad calls were even watching the game? There were bad calls made on both sides. Iowa got away with numerous over-the-back calls where a WI defender was in position. (Note, I am one of the biggest anti-WI fans there is).

The two plays leading up to the "Frantrum" (as termed in the this thread) weren't even that bad. On the Iowa side, Hayes went up and made contact on the arm of an Iowa player in the middle of a tip back. These are calls that are very rarely made. On the other side, Hayes caught the Iowa defender with his arm and went up with a shot. There was definitely contact made. Should it have been called? Maybe/Maybe not? How many times this year have we seen defenders in perfect position and still get called for a foul.

This is the 15th game of the season - and all coaches/players should be used to the way games have been called this year. I for one, hate it - but it is what it is at this point. To go off the handle to the magnitude that he did was completely unacceptable - and absolutely warrants a 1 game suspension. The suspension probably served as a "warning" to him to cool it (given his history - for those who don't know he threw a chair last year).

As noted earlier, I am absolutely not a fan of Bo Ryan, and believe he whines way too much and gets the benefit of the refs much too often. But whining and charging a ref are 2 different things. Anyone who watched Fran and really believes that the Ref "initiated" the contact are absolutely crazy. Fran was in a full on charge and chest bump of some sort was definitely going to happen.

I have no problem with Fran's first T - and would hope that Pitino isn't afraid to take one of those from time to time. I just hope that he has a better understanding of when to stop and not put your team at a disadvantage.

You Are Correct

The sentiment in bold seems to be a common thread here. So do you have any data to support the contention? Is it really the case that the badgers get more of the foul calls at home? BTN did an analysis of the home/away differential in fouls a couple years ago which suggests otherwise. Link Those data show that indeed most teams get more of the calls at home than they do on the road but UW is actually next to last in the league, behind Illini in the foul differential. Minny is also near the bottom.

Team Home FTR Road FTR Difference
Indiana 55.2 35.6 19.6
Michigan 31.3 17.1 14.2
Ohio State 42.7 31.8 10.9
Michigan State 45.8 34.9 10.8
Purdue 40.3 30.6 9.7
Penn State 36.8 29.0 7.8
Northwestern 37.2 31.8 5.4
Iowa 42.5 37.8 4.7
Nebraska 34.0 30.5 3.6
Minnesota 42.6 39.5 3.1
Wisconsin 34.4 31.7 2.7
Illinois 31.8 34.0 -2.2

It's life on the road in the B10. You're playing a good team on the road and it's tough to win. The shots just don't go down like they do at home. It's frustrating for coaches, players, and fans but I really don't think home teams are favored by officials. That's not to say there aren't bad B10 officials, because there are.

Anyone who watched Fran and really believes that the Ref "initiated" the contact are absolutely crazy. Fran was in a full on charge and chest bump of some sort was definitely going to happen.

The irony here is that under the newly imposed rules, Fran (being on the offensive) is granted "unimpeded access". That chest bump was clearly a blocking foul.

I've heard McCaffery's wife is quite legendary with the officials, as well. When he was at Siena there were several occasions where the school had to step in because of her behavior. She was getting to be quite the embarrassment.

This is just one example. Not sure, but I think she's a Minnesota native. I think her parents held Gopher season tickets for a long time before Fran took over @ Iowa.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/sports/ncaabasketball/09maac.html?_r=0

TeamHome FTRRoad FTRDifference
Indiana55.235.619.6
Michigan31.317.114.2
Ohio State42.731.810.9
Michigan State45.834.910.8
Purdue40.330.69.7
Penn State36.829.07.8
Northwestern37.231.85.4
Iowa42.537.84.7
Nebraska34.030.53.6
Minnesota42.639.53.1
Wisconsin34.431.72.7
Illinois31.834.0-2.2

If your taking the total amount of fouls called, it would be about even. but its the close calls at critical times in the game is when Bo gets the calls. I don't care about the hand check calls on Wisconsin's 10th man when it's a 10 point game with 20 seconds left

Seriously?

Fran ends up missing one game. He'll have to sit out Northwestern visiting the Hawkeyes. Unfortunate part is that it's scheduled as Fran Bobblehead Night. Darn!

Bobblehead night re-scheduled for the Gopher game (pretty sure I read that somewhere)

Someone needs to copyright Frantrum before it's too late.

From observation -- at games, not on TV -- Ryan picks his spots. People think he's yelling at the refs on every call but that's just not true. If you think that what McCaffery did was anything like what Bo has ever done, you just didn't see what happened. And the suspension should be proof enough that the Frantrum was not business as usual.

Well when you said Ryan "went ape-sh*t crazy", I figured you meant he went ape-sh*t crazy. My mistake.

If your taking the total amount of fouls called, it would be about even. but its the close calls at critical times in the game is when Bo gets the calls. I don't care about the hand check calls on Wisconsin's 10th man when it's a 10 point game with 20 seconds left

Well that type of "bias", if true, will be impossible to quantify.

Well that type of "bias", if true, will be impossible to quantify.

It's what the experienced basketball watcher/fan/player sees. We see it, it's not hard to believe it. The rest of the B1G outside of UW fans agrees with this sentiment. The only other biases that seem to come close are the pro-OSU and especially pro-Indiana ref biases.

You made a decent point with the stats. I hadn't seen that before so it makes me think twice, but I'm sure my eyes don't deceive me. Like another poster said, it's the TIMING of the calls. Like say the Gophers have a 10-point lead in the second half at Kohl Center, suddenly it's ticky-tack this, ticky-tack that, send UW's best FT shooter to the line if someone breathes on him for the better part of an important 5-to-10 minute stretch, while Wisconsin is allowed to murder the opponent. The entire momentum changes on the extremely biased, if perhaps temporary, reffing, and UW gets out of the tank.

That UW has such an amazing home record compared to their record as a whole over many of the past years is the proxy data that you are avoiding. No way UW has such an amazing home record based solely on deserved merit - they are getting a ton of assistance by the referees (and on the road in the B1G, for that matter as well). The refs let UW own them, whatever entity is behind it. The same calls are simply not called on both ends of the court when UW plays a B1G game, home or away. It's obvious.

Top Bottom