Interim VCU AD David Benedict to Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet:

"@marcdavissports: Sources tell NBC12 that interim #VCU AD David Benedict will leave and head to the Univ. of Minn, joining Norwood Teague"

Here is his bio:

On the strategic plan measurement boards located in the administration and coaches offices within VCU Athletics there are several fund raising and facility construction goals listed to be completed in the upcoming years. David Benedict is in charge of accomplishing those goals.

Tapped by Norwood Teague in January 2010 to be VCU’s Executive Associate Athletic Director for Development, David Benedict brings a long history of successful fundraising campaigns to the Rams athletic department. As a lead developer for businesses and universities in Arizona and California, Benedict has overseen well over $5million worth of donations.

Following a standout football career at Southern Utah, and a short stint as a college football coach in New Mexico, Benedict entered the fund raising world at Arizona State where he would spend the next ten years of his career.

While at ASU, Benedict climbed from an intern in the athletic department to an Associate Athletic Director of Development and the Executive Director of ASU’s fund raising arm, the Sun Angel Foundation.

“When I first met David, he was at the beginning of his career at Arizona State,” says Teague, “and even then you could tell that he was going to be a successful fund raiser. That market is not an easy sports market to navigate with the likes of four professional sports teams and the University of Arizona 60 miles away. But David is a natural fund raiser and each time he was tapped for a new position within their department, he excelled.”

While at Arizona State, Benedict assisted in a one million dollar gift matching campaign. Originally slated to last for 12 months, Benedict and his staff reached their goal in only four short months.

Following a decade of work and millions of dollars in gifts, Benedict left the education field and entered the private sector as the Senior Vice President for the Scottsdale Health Care Foundation. While there he helped their foundation raise a record $17million through annual, major and planned gifts.

Benedict’s passion for college athletics runs so deep, however, that he could only stay away from its fund raising fields for one year. After a year in the private sector, Benedict went back to school as the Senior Associate Athletic Director for External Relations at Long Beach State University. He picked up where he left off at Arizona State by immediately making an impact on the giving levels for the 49ers. When Benedict got to The Beach in 2007 he increased donations by $700,000. He followed that up in 2008 by increasing the level by almost $6million, a staggering figure for the Big West school.

At VCU, Benedict will oversee a Development staff of five as well as the ticket office and the baseball and golf programs.

“We have some auspicious goals to obtain in the upcoming years at VCU, goals that you can’t just assume are going to happen because we put them down on paper,” says Teague. “I don’t think there’s any fund raiser in the country I would rather have on my staff to lead us to these accomplishments other than David Benedict.”

Benedict and his wife Lisa have twin boys, Jake and Sam and live in the West End. Lisa was an All-American gymnast at Arizona State. She is a member of the Sun Devil Athletic Hall of Fame and was recently inducted into the New York State Athletic Hall of Fame.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/information/directory/bios/Benedict_David

Go Gophers!!

z-rollindude.gif

Sounds like a nice hire.

I'm guessing the VCU fans aren't too happy. From the thread when Teague was hired, Benedict seemed like the one other guy they really didn't want to lose.

DrunkGopher said:
I'm guessing the VCU fans aren't too happy. From the thread when Teague was hired, Benedict seemed like the one other guy they really didn't want to lose.

Oh well. How do you think Gopher fans felt when Lou Holtz took all his coaches and recruits to Notre Dame - we take AD's.

Pretty sure it just means that Benedict didn't get the VCU AD job.

Seems to have a very impressive fundraising background. Sounds good to me.

Actually, from what I can recall, he left one behind, unfortunately.

I had forgotten just how bad Deion Sanders was as an artist until just now....

Get your check books out Gopher Fans!!!!

DavidBenedict-InsideBio.jpg

This is a picture from his VCU bio. Whatever he's drinkin he's clearly got his swag on like a million.

Winning is the only thing that matters, so he better do his job.

I don't think this is a bad hire, he did some good things at VCU.

Actually, from what I can recall, he left one behind, unfortunately.

I think it would have still worked with that coach if the snake oil salesman hadn't left us on probation. Holtz = good coach, lousy person.

I think one of the best trends going on with our leaders (Kill & Teague) is that they are hiring people that they have worked with. Clearly, Teague and Benedict are on the same page. From all accounts, we are noticing the benefits in football with Kill keeping all his assistants around. I like the hire.

Love it...we need some swagger to raise funds...better that bucking fadger joel maturi!

Pants on the ground, pants on the ground...lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!

how the heck does that kid walk or even run for that matter???

Top Bottom