Interesting perspective on the Gophers

denguegopher

Reaction score
last trip to Tempe. I read it quickly and the only real clarification that I can make is that when they say "faculty" were a part of the travel party, believe me, they mean "administrative faculty" which is VP's and dean's, etc. I strongly doubt that regular faculty were given a free trip. It also makes the bowl executives appear to be greedy bast@rds. http://www.seattleweekly.com/2011-12-14/news/bowling-for-chumps/

wow. fascinating and eye opening article. The BCS has to be the biggest sham on the planet. football is not gymnastics where judges (a computer in this case) pick who wins, the games should be played, and played in tournament fashion like everything else. I really feel for boise state in this situation, how long can they be kept at the kids table on thanksgiving when they are clearly a raging ball of testosterone about to break their playskool chairs? I'm so sick of the insider rubbish that is polluting everything everywhere!

great post, thanks for the read.

The Seattle Weekly - that's where I like to go for my Gopher football news. Agreed that it is a good article though.

The Seattle Weekly is owned by the same company as the City Pages. I think the same article was in the City Pages last month.

Wow, is right. What a read, thanks for posting it.

By the time the 2009 football season rolled around, the University of Minnesota hadn't won a Big 10 title in 42 years. The Gophers largely spent those decades serving as target practice for the conference's higher powers, yet they weren't without occasional bursts of second-string glory. One arrived two years ago. Minnesota finished 6-6, achieving the minimum wins needed to earn a slot in the Insight Bowl in Tempe, Arizona.

The article gives the impression that the 6-6 season in 2009 was some sort of pinnacle of glory for the Gophers. We haven't won the conference since 1967, but it isn't the case that the Gophers have been truly awful the entire time.

Sure, we could have a bowl game in Minneapolis, nothing stops anyone from having the Metrobowl at the Metrodome. Until someone steps up and does that, then it can't be said that the game could have been played in Minneapolis. And if there was a Metrobowl, it might not between two schools in as close proximity as Minnesota and Iowa State.

the point of the story is to do away with bowls, not add another one. nobody wants a metrobowl, we want a playoff game.

wow. fascinating and eye opening article. The BCS has to be the biggest sham on the planet. football is not gymnastics where judges (a computer in this case) pick who wins, the games should be played, and played in tournament fashion like everything else. I really feel for boise state in this situation, how long can they be kept at the kids table on thanksgiving when they are clearly a raging ball of testosterone about to break their playskool chairs? I'm so sick of the insider rubbish that is polluting everything everywhere!

great post, thanks for the read.

When you play an inferior schedule, you need to go undefeated. If you're going to feel bad for anyone, feel bad for Okie St. I can think of about 10 times more deserving than Boise St.

Top Bottom