Interesting Nugget on BTN Journey re: Petteway

fryguy22

Maroon and Gold from birth
Reaction score
Up late after watching the Gophers great win over Iowa (twice), and have the BTN on in the background. It is episode 4 from this season, and one of the players featured is Terran Petteway.

Anyway, he talked about his situation transferring to Nebraska, and mentioned Ben Johnson as a huge factor in his development during his transfer year last year. I think the exact quote was something like "assistant coach Ben Johnson, who is now at Minnesota, really worked with me and helped me take my game to the next level". I just thought that was a tidbit worth sharing, and encouraging for our stuff given how Petteway has really blown up this year.

Up late after watching the Gophers great win over Iowa (twice), and have the BTN on in the background. It is episode 4 from this season, and one of the players featured is Terran Petteway.

Anyway, he talked about his situation transferring to Nebraska, and mentioned Ben Johnson as a huge factor in his development during his transfer year last year. I think the exact quote was something like "assistant coach Ben Johnson, who is now at Minnesota, really worked with me and helped me take my game to the next level". I just thought that was a tidbit worth sharing, and encouraging for our stuff given how Petteway has really blown up this year.

Seems like a humble hardworking kid. Not surprising to see his success and it's always good to see a player give credit to those who helped him in his success.

Maybe it was just a coincidence last night but it seemed the one assistant most in Pitino's ear was Johnson. Looked like Rich really values his advice.

Thanks for the free recruiting nugget Petteway!

Maybe it was just a coincidence last night but it seemed the one assistant most in Pitino's ear was Johnson. Looked like Rich really values his advice.

I've also seen what looks like friction between the two. I'm guessing that they have a relationship of mutual respect but that they spar sometimes as well.

Johnson was a great get for the program. He came here with a reputation as an up and comer, and Petteway's quote reinforces that. He'll be a head coach some day.

McHale is the guy Pitino leans on the most. He's the sharpest dude of the three assistants. Not a shot and Johnson and Young.

McHale is the guy Pitino leans on the most. He's the sharpest dude of the three assistants. Not a shot and Johnson and Young.

Yep, McHale certainly seems like the lead assistant to me. A lot of times he's controlling the huddle with Pitino talking to a ref or chiming in every once in a while.

McHale is the experienced guy, Young is the recruiter, and Johnson is the up and comer. At least that's how it seems (and I know McHale isn't all that old). I've coached a little bit in youth sports and HS and while its obviously a ton different, if the assistants and the HC never clash then you're having an issue. The assistants have opinions and ideas and a second set of eyes while the HC has his own thoughts and opinions. Good HC's let their assistants challenge them at times and take their thoughts into consideration. Pitino always tells the story about harassing his dad about switching to zone in that tourney game

McHale is the experienced guy, Young is the recruiter, and Johnson is the up and comer. At least that's how it seems (and I know McHale isn't all that old). I've coached a little bit in youth sports and HS and while its obviously a ton different, if the assistants and the HC never clash then you're having an issue. The assistants have opinions and ideas and a second set of eyes while the HC has his own thoughts and opinions. Good HC's let their assistants challenge them at times and take their thoughts into consideration. Pitino always tells the story about harassing his dad about switching to zone in that tourney game

My thoughts exactly. It's a lot healthier than having a bunch of yes men, ahem.

Top Bottom