Interested to see what happens

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
I was looking through some recruiting information to see about instate recruiting. It will be very interesting to see what happens in Ohio. Cincinnati has 12 kids from Ohio committing and Ohio State has 6. One team is on the rise and the other came back to the pack this year. OSU also has the national stigma of losing big games.

Knowing that OSU obviously concerns itself more with National recruiting, will Cincinnati keep building toward a consistant national power? Kelly could be the guy to do it. Ultimately does OSU have to play dirty pool and try to hire Kelly?

By the way Penn State has the #3 class right now and not one kid from Ohio committed.

I was looking through some recruiting information to see about instate recruiting. It will be very interesting to see what happens in Ohio. Cincinnati has 12 kids from Ohio committing and Ohio State has 6. One team is on the rise and the other came back to the pack this year. OSU also has the national stigma of losing big games.

Knowing that OSU obviously concerns itself more with National recruiting, will Cincinnati keep building toward a consistant national power? Kelly could be the guy to do it. Ultimately does OSU have to play dirty pool and try to hire Kelly?

By the way Penn State has the #3 class right now and not one kid from Ohio committed.

I would not take it as some sort of referendum on a power shift in the state. Of the 16 guys who have committed to Cincinnati, zero have Ohio St. offers. (Three of them have Minnesota offers, but I digress.) Meanwhile, 3 of Ohio St.'s 13 commitments have Cincinnati offers. Thus far, Ohio St. is 3-0 in the head-to-head recruiting battle.

Whatever the reasons for Cincinnati's success, it's certainly not because they're a recruiting powerhouse. They signed their first-ever Rivals four-star in 2009 (ended up with two of them), and only have one so far this year. I think there are two overwhelming factors. Not only is Brian Kelly a great coach, but Cincinnati plays in what is by far the weakest BCS conference. For that reason, I would stay at Cincinnati if I were him. They will be conference contenders every year, and for that reason alone, they could sneak into the national title picture in years with a lot of 1- and 2-loss teams.

Having said that, the lure of Notre Dame's prestige and money will probably prove too much. I personally think that odds dictate Cincinnati's success will die with Kelly's departure. They've struck gold with two straight coaches, and I don't know if it's realistic to ask for three straight successful hires in today's coaching market.

Top Bottom