Insight Bowl, here we come, again?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
In its "way too early to predict" bowl predictions, CollegeFootballNews is picking the Gophers to go to the Valley of the Sun again:

Insight Bowl
Dec. 31 / 6 ET Tempe, Ariz. NFL Network
Tie-Ins: Big Ten No. 6 vs. Big 12 No. 6
Way Too Early Projection: Minnesota vs. Missouri
Top 5 Others Considered: 1) Kansas, 2) Illinois, 3) Northwestern, 4) Michigan, 5) Texas Tech

They also have us listed as one of the "Top 5 Others Considered" for the Motor City Bowl.

Here is the link:
http://cfn.scout.com/2/862394.html

Given our schedule this year, I think that any bowl will be a great acheivement (and a great stepping stone to our best bowl in 50 years in 2010).

Go Gophers!

If we make a return trip to the Insight Bowl, I can almost assure people we will have a better chance of winning it than this past time.

In its "way too early to predict" bowl predictions, CollegeFootballNews is picking the Gophers to go to the Valley of the Sun again:

Insight Bowl
Dec. 31 / 6 ET Tempe, Ariz. NFL Network
Tie-Ins: Big Ten No. 6 vs. Big 12 No. 6
Way Too Early Projection: Minnesota vs. Missouri
Top 5 Others Considered: 1) Kansas, 2) Illinois, 3) Northwestern, 4) Michigan, 5) Texas Tech

They also have us listed as one of the "Top 5 Others Considered" for the Motor City Bowl.

Here is the link:
http://cfn.scout.com/2/862394.html

Given our schedule this year, I think that any bowl will be a great acheivement (and a great stepping stone to our best bowl in 50 years in 2010).

Go Gophers!

I understand what you're saying but I think you're selling us short. This team is more talented and has more experience than one that should settle for "any bowl." If we're playing in the Music City Bowl I will be disappointed.

CFN has Wisconsin picked ahead of us and I for one don't see that happening. They have a lot more questions heading in to this season than we do.

Maybe it's a schedule issue? WI's hardest OOC team is Fresno State who comes to Madison, and the hardest conference game for the badgers by far is at Ohio State. I believe the badgers don't play Penn State, and get Iowa and MSU at home. Maybe they were looking more at that than anything else.

While I do not want to go to the Insight Bowl, personally I had a blast in Tempe and I would definately go back... Hopefully for the Fiesta Bowl!

According to their predictions, they are estimating a Big Ten finish as such:

Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan State
Iowa
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan
(non-bowl teams)

That said, I agree -- must be a schedule thing. I'm sure we're better than a 7th place team.

According to their predictions, they are estimating a Big Ten finish as such:

Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan State
Iowa
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan
(non-bowl teams)

That said, I agree -- must be a schedule thing. I'm sure we're better than a 7th place team.

Here is my synopsis on the teams that they have listed as bowl eligible.

Everybody has gotten used to OSU just reloading and there is no reason to expect anything different this season. Their fans expect that 2010 is going to be the year they make another run at the BCS Championship but they should still be very good in 2009. Their biggest question is a very young OL that has not gelled yet. Without Beanie, Pryor will have to carry the load and it remains to be seen whether he can do it.

Just my opinion but I don't see Penn State going to a BCS bowl this year. They have failed to sustain success in the Big Ten and have constantly been up and down. Even though they return their QB/RB they lose 3 OL (at least 2 were all conference) and 3 WR (1 or 2 was all conference & 2 were drafted). They also lose their entire secondary and DE's. Their defense will still be good (that LB corp is the best in the Big Ten) but it probably won't be as good as last year.

MSU may have finished 3rd last year but the separation between 2 & 3 was huge and 3 and 7 was much smaller. They won every close game last year and they relied on a senior QB & a senior RB to carry the load. If their turnover margin declines with a new backfield I think they could go from 9-3 to 7-5 very quickly. They have a solid D which will keep them in most games.

Iowa has a good OL, a capable QB, above average receivers, and a question at RB but Hampton looked good last year. On D the strength is going to be LB's, they return most of it not all of their secondary, and their biggest question mark is on DL as they try to replace 2 4-year starters at DT. They probably won't be as good against the run in 2009 but they were very good at it in 2008. Their biggest problem is going to be road games @ PSU, @ OSU, @ MSU & @ Wisc.

Illinois is a total wild card to me. Their talent at the skill positions is probably the best in the Big Ten but the OL left something to be desired last year and they lost their 2 best players (Brit Miller & Vontae Davis) from a mediocre defense.

Wisconsin enters the season with huge question marks. They lost experience from the OL but they usually have pretty good depth there. The RB situation should be strong and while the WR's under achieved last year they were young and seemed to come on as the season progressed and this spring. The huge question on offense is at QB where it looks like Sherrer will remain the starter. Defensively this is a team that could have problems because they lost a lot of starters.

Minnesota returns 37 players (38 if Brock is back) out of 44 from their 2008 2-deep depth chart. The team also adds 2 new OL with Carufel & Wills, a new WR with Hayo, and S Kim Royston that are all expected to take jobs away from returning starters. The biggest questions for Minnesota are how players respond to a new offensive and defensive coordinator, replacing K & P on special teams (seems to have been answered this spring), and how much can the same players improve in an off season,

After one year in RR's system Michigan appears to have found their QB with Tate Forcier. He will be challenged by So Nick Sherridan and Fr Denard Robinson. If Forcier wins the job expect a more fluid offense with a threat to run from the QB spot but also growing pains of having a freshman QB. Around Forcier they return Brandon Minor, one of the best two or three returning RB's (Royster-PSU, Clay-Wisc) and a young but now somewhat experienced receiving corps. Defensively they return their only all conference player at DE Brandon Graham and what was otherwise a very disappointing defense. Greg Robinson (formerly DC at Texas and HC at Syracuse) is the new coordinator and I have no idea what to expect from Michigan's D. I feel like with the talent they recruited in the past they should have been much better last year.

Not listed: Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana (NU could challenge for a bowl but Purdue & Indiana will have very difficult seasons).

there was another site that had minnesota playing lsu in the capital one bowl

someone posted a link to the website on here a few days back. don't have time to search for it right now. basically these prediction websites are always fun to read and argue about, but i don't put too much into them either way.

someone posted a link to the website on here a few days back. don't have time to search for it right now. basically these prediction websites are always fun to read and argue about, but i don't put too much into them either way.

Andre Ware had us finishing #2 in the conference which would put us in either the Capital One bowl or in a BCS bowl. As Bronko said, it is fun to read and debate but I'll just point out that it is still May and not a game has been played.

What If's

Even though I was the original poster, I agree with those who say that it is WAY too premature to start making predictions. There are way too many "What If's," such as:

What if:
Gray becomes this year's Tyrelle Pryor?
Weber has his best season yet due to great WR's?
The offense or defense (or both) don't "click" with the new coordinators?
Duane Bennett remains healthy for 12 (13?) games?
(Insert the most irreplacable player(s) here) gets hurt?
Pittman, Weber and Gray all find productive ways to line up on offense (simultaneously - is that too much to ask)?

These are just a handful of our what if's. We could probably list a hundred or more and each team in the conference will have that many.

But, that's what makes this stuff fun too.

Given what we KNOW, I think we will go 6-6 or 7-5 and have at least one signature victory (I'm betting on Wisconsin and our Bowl Game to be the most memorable victories).

Go Gophers!

Andre Ware had us finishing #2 in the conference which would put us in either the Capital One bowl or in a BCS bowl. As Bronko said, it is fun to read and debate but I'll just point out that it is still May and not a game has been played.

If we finish #2 in the conference I will name my first-born child Goldy Gopher.

Even though I was the original poster, I agree with those who say that it is WAY too premature to start making predictions. There are way too many "What If's," such as:

What if:
Gray becomes this year's Tyrelle Pryor?
Weber has his best season yet due to great WR's?
The offense or defense (or both) don't "click" with the new coordinators?
Duane Bennett remains healthy for 12 (13?) games?
(Insert the most irreplacable player(s) here) gets hurt?
Pittman, Weber and Gray all find productive ways to line up on offense (simultaneously - is that too much to ask)?

These are just a handful of our what if's. We could probably list a hundred or more and each team in the conference will have that many.

But, that's what makes this stuff fun too.

Given what we KNOW, I think we will go 6-6 or 7-5 and have at least one signature victory (I'm betting on Wisconsin and our Bowl Game to be the most memorable victories).

Go Gophers!

I don't see us losing to Wisconsin this year which is why I made my initial comment that I don't see Wisconsin finishing ahead of us this year. However, beating Wisconsin and finishing 7-5 in the Insight Bowl seems completely possible. For instance, replace Wiscy with NU on the predictions and that is accomplished and I don't know anybody that would say that seems like an unlikely scenario.

:D - This killed me! As much as I want to believe it, this sums up my feelings pretty well about this year.

this is what is killing me...

What will the predictions be for 2022 season? I am guessing about the same accuracy of the 2009 season.

You should name your first born child Goldy Gopher. What a terriffic way to assure that he/she doesn't become one of Madison's standard issue pot-head alchoholics.

I wonder how many "Buster Bronco"s are walking around as a result of Boise State beating Oklahoma...

I wouldn't see a return to the Insight Bowl as a successful season. We return all but one key player from a team that vastly underachieved towards the end of last season. I understand the schedule is more difficult on paper, but nobody would have predicted the Gophers going in to Illinois and winning last year at this time.

If (and it sounds like a very big IF right now) Brock gets back in school, I think we've got a chance to be good defensively. The offense adds Carufel, Carpenter, a healthy Bennett, and is directed by a QB that now has 2 years under his belt.

I think most would agree the biggest question mark for the 2009 Gophers is the Offensive Line. We have to hope some of the guys struggled due to to youth, not lack of ability to play at the Big Ten level.

I can't call the Insight Bowl a complete "success", necessarily, but I sure wouldn't call it a bad season. If we go 7-5 (probably 8-5 cause I think we'd win that bowl game in this case), I'd call that a decent year considering to get 8 wins with our schedule, it will have to include at the very least a couple very quality wins, something we didn't really have any of last season.

I can't call the Insight Bowl a complete "success", necessarily, but I sure wouldn't call it a bad season. If we go 7-5 (probably 8-5 cause I think we'd win that bowl game in this case), I'd call that a decent year considering to get 8 wins with our schedule, it will have to include at the very least a couple very quality wins, something we didn't really have any of last season.

I think anyone who follows the Gophers/college FB more closely would agree that 7-5 isn't a bad season given our significantly harder schedule. But I think the "avg fan" would need to see us reach 8-4 with a trophy W and at least 1 other quality win otherwise they'd see us as having peaked. Just getting to a different bowl game would be enough to stir some more excitement. Lets face it, another Insight Bowl trip means that it is the new Music City Bowl for us. The Champs Sports bowl would be a small improvement, but I'd like to see us reach the Alamo Bowl (partly 'cause I've been in San Antonio for bball during Alamo bowl week and have seen what a great atmosphere it is).

Top Bottom