Indy Star: It was the hottest basketball sectional. Then attendees started dying of coronavirus.

The most recent ebola outbreak was the result of a young boy venturing into a hollowed out tree where he contacted infected bat guano. Covid could have escaped from a virology lab in Wuhan. Or it could have been someone who had the misfortune of contacting an infected animal (bat?). Another theory is that its been in humans for months or years but acquired a mutation that allowed it to more efficiently transmit from person to person. We will likely never know.
The strain of covid the current out break most closely matches is found in a bat known to inhabit an area 600 miles away from wuhan. It is a consensus the outbreak originated in wuhan. They knowingly test covid strains in a lab in wuhan. This lab has been warned previously of less than adequate safety standards.

The strain of covid the current out break most closely matches is found in a bat known to inhabit an area 600 miles away from wuhan. It is a consensus the outbreak originated in wuhan. They knowingly test covid strains in a lab in wuhan. This lab has been warned previously of less than adequate safety standards.
Last statement for me on this. What about bats spreading to pangolins. Pangolins then infecting humans in wuhan. Pangolins are the most traded mammal in the animal trading market. Just what I read about the theory about pangolins spreading the virus.

Ask Trump, I'm sure he knows.

Ask Trump, I'm sure he knows.
I dont understand what this has to do with Trump. This would not even be the first time this has happened in china, example sars on multiple occassions. They also downplayed the severity of the virus and lied to the world health organization. Also not the first time a major communist party has tried to cover up a catastrophe they created to avoid appearing weak.

Last statement for me on this. What about bats spreading to pangolins. Pangolins then infecting humans in wuhan. Pangolins are the most traded mammal in the animal trading market. Just what I read about the theory about pangolins spreading the virus.
Plausible scenario, i had not read that. It would depend where they were importing the pangloins from.

Your right I missed it. Poor reading comprehension. But to your point. If my kid was playing in that game and I knew it was a 2 out of 1000 with the 2 being weighted towards elderly people with compromised health, the wife and I are going, but grandma's are staying home.

BUT YOU, YOUR WIFE, AND YOUR CHILD CAN GIVE IT TO GRANDMA (OR TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO ISN'T RELATED). HAS THAT STILL NOT SUNK IN FOR YOU?

BUT YOU, YOUR WIFE, AND YOUR CHILD CAN GIVE IT TO GRANDMA (OR TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO ISN'T RELATED). HAS THAT STILL NOT SUNK IN FOR YOU?

You can't paralyze yourself with every possible bad outcome that exists. Yes that's a possibility. My mother in law has emphysema and we have suspended visits to her based on not wanting to infect her. But for the last few years we had already been taking that precaution whenever we were sick, because any cold or virus would be just as likely lethal to her. That doesn't mean that I will accept that with the flip of a switch we have all signed off on never hugging our parents again indefinitely. It's about measuring the risk and taking appropriate action. There will come a point where the risk is small enough I'm not going to obsess about it. In the Section 10 scenario if you went to the game and waited 2 weeks before visiting someone at risk you've gotten outside the reasonable window where you could transfer something you picked up at that game to someone else. Depending on your level of interaction in that 2 weeks with other people, you might decide your in the clear. We've all taken 4 weeks now of isolation, that's two cycles of the generally accepted life of the virus. Those of us on day 1 that were carriers and asymptomatic should now be safe from spreading this by community contact. We've been through 2 life cycles of this bug, we are accepting another life cycle in isolation. All I'm saying is that we should be expecting in May a structured back to work plan based on where we are at.

I dont understand what this has to do with Trump. This would not even be the first time this has happened in china, example sars on multiple occassions. They also downplayed the severity of the virus and lied to the world health organization. Also not the first time a major communist party has tried to cover up a catastrophe they created to avoid appearing weak.

Of course China downplayed the severity of the outbreak--its China for crying out loud! Thats almost besides the point. The main issues are a complete lack of US preparedness; an unwillingness to acknowledge the problem and vigorously prepare in January/February when there was an opportunity to do so; and the disgraceful antics from the president's lectern. A million cases by this time next week. Simply unacceptable.

You can't paralyze yourself with every possible bad outcome that exists. Yes that's a possibility. My mother in law has emphysema and we have suspended visits to her based on not wanting to infect her. But for the last few years we had already been taking that precaution whenever we were sick, because any cold or virus would be just as likely lethal to her. That doesn't mean that I will accept that with the flip of a switch we have all signed off on never hugging our parents again indefinitely. It's about measuring the risk and taking appropriate action. There will come a point where the risk is small enough I'm not going to obsess about it. In the Section 10 scenario if you went to the game and waited 2 weeks before visiting someone at risk you've gotten outside the reasonable window where you could transfer something you picked up at that game to someone else. Depending on your level of interaction in that 2 weeks with other people, you might decide your in the clear. We've all taken 4 weeks now of isolation, that's two cycles of the generally accepted life of the virus. Those of us on day 1 that were carriers and asymptomatic should now be safe from spreading this by community contact. We've been through 2 life cycles of this bug, we are accepting another life cycle in isolation. All I'm saying is that we should be expecting in May a structured back to work plan based on where we are at.

I agree with you. There is going to be a risk/benefit calculation in play for at least the next 18 months. I hope/think the calculus tips toward reopening in mid-May in a structured manner. Stay safe.

Of course China downplayed the severity of the outbreak--its China for crying out loud! Thats almost besides the point. The main issues are a complete lack of US preparedness; an unwillingness to acknowledge the problem and vigorously prepare in January/February when there was an opportunity to do so; and the disgraceful antics from the president's lectern. A million cases by this time next week. Simply unacceptable.
I did not deny the US response could have obviously been better. My point was that this should not be a reoccurring outbreak as a lot of evidence supports it escaped out of a lab that tests strains of Coronavirus.

I did not deny the US response could have obviously been better. My point was that this should not be a reoccurring outbreak as a lot of evidence supports it escaped out of a lab that tests strains of Coronavirus.

Regardless of where SARS-CoV2 came from, another viral outbreak is coming. What if its next year?

SARS coronavirus: 2003
MERS coronavirus: 2012
EBOLA: 2014
SARS-CoV2 coronavirus: 2019
SARS-CoV3: ???

Regardless of where SARS-CoV2 came from, another viral outbreak is coming. What if its next year?

SARS coronavirus: 2003
MERS coronavirus: 2012
EBOLA: 2014
SARS-CoV2 coronavirus: 2019
SARS-CoV3: ???
Isnt where it came from one of the most important details? Why are you so sure there will be another viral outbreak?

Isnt where it came from one of the most important details? Why are you so sure there will be another viral outbreak?

There are hundreds if not thousands of coronaviruses in nature just waiting for us to awaken them. SARS-CoV2 did not come from a lab--the sequence analysis is pretty definitive. It likely jumped to humans more than once, possibly through a pangolin intermediate. These led to short chain infections--never detected, never reported--until the virus picked up a new mutation in a human host that allowed it to transmit more efficiently. This mutation likely occurred in Wuhan.

There are hundreds if not thousands of coronaviruses in nature just waiting for us to awaken them. SARS-CoV2 did not come from a lab--the sequence analysis is pretty definitive. It likely jumped to humans more than once, possibly through a pangolin intermediate. These led to short chain infections--never detected, never reported--until the virus picked up a new mutation in a human host that allowed it to transmit more efficiently. This mutation likely occurred in Wuhan.
Then the real question has to be why now?

Your right I missed it. Poor reading comprehension. But to your point. If my kid was playing in that game and I knew it was a 2 out of 1000 with the 2 being weighted towards elderly people with compromised health, the wife and I are going, but grandma's are staying home.

Extremely selfish sentiment. What about the grandma’s you would walk past in the grocery store the 10-14 days after attending? What would you say to their families?

Also because you mentioned getting educated perhaps you would like reading about the irreversible lung damage (pulmonary fibrosis) that would reduce your lung capacity for the remainder of your life.

Top Bottom