Indiana

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Compared to the Gophers, it appears Indiana is getting a lot more love from various out-of-town prognosticators and writers. I guess scoring some points has a way of turning heads more than qualifying for a bowl game. That being said, I do think it will be a tough chore for the Gophers to go into Bloomington and get a wide-margin victory. It will be a chore.

Thoughts on these two teams, which both appear to be on the rise but haven't played in recent years, matching up this year?

They've got the O, and the star power recruiting. I need to see their D and their depth make it through a season without imploding.
I forsee a fast start for them, followed by a rough middle of the season as B1G teams take their toll. They can't run true freshmen and JUCOs out all year and not get worn down.
If we can run the ball in Bloomington and keep their passing attack from exploding we'll win. IMO

Indiana improved last year just as much as the Gophers did. But I'll take our coaching staff and our situation over theirs any day. Maybe it's old fashioned, but I'd rather run the ball and play defense than throw it all day and hope for the best!

IU statistically had the worst B1G defense in 2012. While they do return 7 starters on defense, they lose their two mainstays at tackle. Larry Black Jr. and Adam Replogie. They've 2 of 3 starters returning at LB position, which by most accounts was the worst in the B1G. The best d-back is safety
Greg Heban who was led in team tackles They've to replace a CB and strong safety. They've several top defensive recruits in their freshmen class, which Rivals ranked 4th in the B1G.
Bottom Line: Indiana is a year away from improving defensively. I think the Gophers will have a banner day running the football and will put up 30 plus points on Indiana. Final score: Minnesota 38 Indiana 20.

Reasons why Indiana is getting more attention than us.

*They came close to a big upset of Ohio St
*Wilson came from Oklahoma
*Their offense can put a lot of points up
*They somehow managed a top recruiting class
*They have an easier path to more B1G wins in the Leaders

The elephant in the room is their defense. Will it improve enough to keep them in games? They were blown out a lot last year even with the high powered offense.

I do think it will be a tough chore for the Gophers to go into Bloomington and get a wide-margin victory. It will be a chore.

Considering the Gophers have one win in Bloomington in almost 30 years, I don't know why anyone would even expect a win.

Considering the Gophers have one win in Bloomington in almost 30 years, I don't know why anyone would even expect a win.

I don't know if you are just trying to be sarcastic or funny but your statement will have no bearing on the outcome of this game.:rolleyes:

Reasons why Indiana is getting more attention than us.

*They came close to a big upset of Ohio St
*Wilson came from Oklahoma
*Their offense can put a lot of points up
*They somehow managed a top recruiting class
*They have an easier path to more B1G wins in the Leaders

The elephant in the room is their defense. Will it improve enough to keep them in games? They were blown out a lot last year even with the high powered offense.

Excellent analysis and couldn't agree with you more.

Also, the Media always has their "wise guy" pick for sleeper team(s). Happens every year, in every conference. Last year, it was Purdue.

Buck

I don't know if you are just trying to be sarcastic or funny but your statement will have no bearing on the outcome of this game.:rolleyes:

I guess we should just shut this whole board down then, because nobody's statements have any bearing on the outcome of any game.

Also, I'm not being sarcastic or funny. If you haven't noticed, the Gophers don't win in Bloomington very often, but everyone just assumes this will be a W.

I guess we should just shut this whole board down then, because nobody's statements have any bearing on the outcome of any game.

Also, I'm not being sarcastic or funny. If you haven't noticed, the Gophers don't win in Bloomington very often, but everyone just assumes this will be a W.

What you said was:
which has no bearing on this game. The Gophers certainly could lose this game but not because of the past 30 years. That was my point.

How does Scott Eckers performance in 1994 affect Philip Nelson in 2013? How does Darrel Thompson's 44 rushing yards in 1988 affect Donnell Kirkwood in 2013? How does Adam Bailey's missed kicks in 1998 affect whoever isn't the worst kicker on the roster in 2013? How does the 51 points allowed in 2000 affect the defense in 2013?

P.S. Could you list all the members of Gopherhole that assume a W in Bloomington?

(Trick question since you stated that that would be EVERYONE)

How does Scott Eckers performance in 1994 affect Philip Nelson in 2013? How does Darrel Thompson's 44 rushing yards in 1988 affect Donnell Kirkwood in 2013? How does Adam Bailey's missed kicks in 1998 affect whoever isn't the worst kicker on the roster in 2013? How does the 51 points allowed in 2000 affect the defense in 2013?

P.S. Could you list all the members of Gopherhole that assume a W in Bloomington?

That would be pretty much everyone who thinks we will win 6 or more games. We will absolutely be a better team but we do not play our favorite two conference wins...Illinois and Purdue. This will not be easy. Hoping we win 10 but praying we win 6.

HAHA! Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap: :)

This should be a really good matchup. It's difficult for one let alone two teams to climb up the ranks in this conference. I will be rooting for Indiana to continue to improve and win in every week except when they play the Gophers. They played MSU and OSU very tough last year and if they can get their defense sorted out they might win 8 this year. Nice breakdown Rupert!

Top Bottom