Indiana State Postgame Notes and Quotes

Reaction score
Tracey Claeys:
It’s been a long time since we’ve had that good of an offensive start. Didn’t plan on having that many penalties. We were pretty good after the first quarter on that. Mitch threw the ball well. Few guys scored their first TD today. Played well on third down on O, poorly on D. Have to get better and get off the field.

On Kobe McCrary: He’s run like that in practice. Now that he has a game under his belt. He’ll have a lot bigger role. It’s a good problem to have that many backs [when Shannon Brooks gets back].

On leaving the starters in that long: I think you need play three quarters this early in the season. More so for conditioning but also because we have new people on offense and are doing new things. They needed the snaps. Can’t simulate the atmosphere of a game in practice.

I thought we blocked a lot better up front than we did last week.

First time in a while we scored on the first drive.

I was upset after the third quarter. We weren’t playing with enough energy. It’s disrespectful to go out there on the field and not play as hard as you can. Sometimes they need to be reminded of that.

We get around the 30-yard line, you feel pretty good about scoring points. Carpenter has done a great job getting us points. Has to improve his kickoffs. Can’t give them a short field.

“Worried a little bit” after Lingen limped off the field.

Vincent Calhoun could have returned after being injured. He’ll be ok.

On Kamal Martin and Carter Coughlin: They were around the ball a lot but missed a couple tackles. They have the skills to help us out. Looking forward to their continued growth. Those two kids can make us better on the field.

Even though there were some suspensions going into the game, the inability of the secondary to make a play on the ball, even in tight coverage may be a concern.... A number of, albeit, nice passes completed against us in tight coverage, due to lack of ball awareness. All that was needed was a hand or finger.... In B1G play, this would not play well.

And..... even though the game was over, if you are going to put Connor Rhoda in for the 4th quarter, treat it like a real game situation, and let him throw the ball.

Curious as to what others think on these 2 matters.

Even though there were some suspensions going into the game, the inability of the secondary to make a play on the ball, even in tight coverage may be a concern.... A number of, albeit, nice passes completed against us in tight coverage, due to lack of ball awareness. All that was needed was a hand or finger.... In B1G play, this would not play well.

And..... even though the game was over, if you are going to put Connor Rhoda in for the 4th quarter, treat it like a real game situation, and let him throw the ball.

Curious as to what others think on these 2 matters.

Rhoda won't throw to any of these players if called upon in meaningful football.

#4 is going to need to step up in future games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Rhoda should have been allowed to practice his reads vs a real defense. Wierd IMO but its a small issue. They just wanted to get it over with.

The secondary will get better. I thought their QB had some skills.

I also think more than poor coverage that #18 is very good at using his body to shield the defender...plus the passes were nicely thrown away from the defender. #18 also snatched one where we did our back to the ball thing. #18 played well more than we were bad I'd say. jmo #4 was tough too.

Offensively, our receivers are better than they have been. Wolitarsky had a career day to date but Johnson is good. Smith got better and looks good too. Those two just need a few more games to get comfortable hopefully and we have a couple receivers better than we have had lately.

Shenault and Craighton are not as good as Hardin yet, or maybe Buford as well, but they should get better with more snaps. Craighton was about a step from making plays 3 or 4 times this afternoon.
Indiana State did a good job with some adjustments right after half time to take advantage of our outside rushes. QB draws and inside runs, and we were out of position and not playing hard.
A freshman LB lost outside contain at least once if not more times in the second half. That should be correctable.
The defense was asleep the first 10 minutes of the third quarter. That was the only disappointing thing to me.

Top Bottom