Indiana Hire

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Looks like they went the Coordinator route with the interview process. LINK

What? No Leach?

Curious to see if Leach gets the Miami job (or the Mississippi State job if Mullen gets the Miami job). I just think there's a lot more to the Leach story than any of us really know.

What? No Leach?

Curious to see if Leach gets the Miami job (or the Mississippi State job if Mullen gets the Miami job). I just think there's a lot more to the Leach story than any of us really know.

He didn't get along with the administration at Texas Tech which scares off Presidents and ADs because they know he commands attention and power and becomes the highest or one of the highest paid public employees in any state. I don't think the Leach formula is that complicated its the fact that he is a fan favorite nationwide but likely an administrator's nightmare and administrations are worried that Leach's message will trump theirs and win out every time.

I wonder if IU made public statements that their goal was a Tubby Smith or, more relevant, a Bobby Knight type hire?

No one likes to hire an insubordinte subordinate. The only way to deal with an alpha wolf is to show him that YOU are the real alpha wolf.

I wonder if IU made public statements that their goal was a Tubby Smith or, more relevant, a Bobby Knight type hire?

This is why Leach didn't even show interest. Bobby Knight burned the bridge in Bloomington for Leach years ago.

Wilson gets 7 yrs. at 1.2M per.

A seven year deal, wowsahs. Good for him and good for them. Seems like a pretty solid hire, so hopefully he can get that sorry situation turned around in Bloomington. We think we've had it bad with coaches and we certainly did with Brewster and Wacker, but this is IU's sixth coach in the past 14 years, so I feel a strong sense of empathy for those fans, cause they've had it much, much worse than us.

A seven year deal, wowsahs. Good for him and good for them. Seems like a pretty solid hire, so hopefully he can get that sorry situation turned around in Bloomington. We think we've had it bad with coaches and we certainly did with Brewster and Wacker, but this is IU's sixth coach in the past 14 years, so I feel a strong sense of empathy for those fans, cause they've had it much, much worse than us.

Oh, ya? Last Rose Bowl appearance.

1968 Rose Bowl USC vs. Indiana
1962 Rose Bowl UCLA vs. Minnesota

But, yes, I do have empathy for them. The death of Coach Hoeppner was, most of all, sad on a personal level, but it also looked like he might have been the coach they had been looking for.

But, yes, I do have empathy for them. The death of Coach Hoeppner was, most of all, sad on a personal level, but it also looked like he might have been the coach they had been looking for.

I agree on Hoeppner. He had them on the right path. This new guy is the kind of hire Maturi should have made 4 years ago. Instead, he boxed himself into hiring an experienced HC, both by his boneheaded comments at the post-firing presser, as well as by hiring the inexperienced clown who needed to be fired.

Coach Hep would have been great for them long term, but they will and always will be a basketball school first and foremost.

He didn't get along with the administration at Texas Tech which scares off Presidents and ADs because they know he commands attention and power and becomes the highest or one of the highest paid public employees in any state. I don't think the Leach formula is that complicated its the fact that he is a fan favorite nationwide but likely an administrator's nightmare and administrations are worried that Leach's message will trump theirs and win out every time.

I agree and was just funnin'. I think the other complicating factor for the U is that with Maturi retiring in the next couple of years, I can only imagine how much the administration looked forward to working with someone like Leach during that search process.

Leach is going to find a spot and do well, but it may be an isolated situation where everything comes together for him. It's obvious he can coach.

Umm, the Gophers tied for that title, but IU went only because of the "who went last" rule. So really, the Gophers and Hoosiers are equal in terms of the last Big Ten title.

Indiana is a much worse program than the Gophers. For as much as we complain, the Mason-Brewster era produced nine bowls (yeah, minor bowls, but still) in 11 years. Indiana has only gone to nine bowls EVER, in 100+ years of football. IU is the Kansas of the Big Ten - they care about basketball, and nothing else.

It's a good hiring for Indiana. I hope Wilson finds ways to beat Bucky every single year.

Top Bottom