In the world of exhibition basketball. ...

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
#16 Arizona loses 69-68 to Division-II Seattle Pacific, 69-68. It was Arizona's first exhibition loss since November of 1984.

Seattle Pacific has now won 3 straight exhibitions vs. D-I opponents. Last year SP defeated Eastern Washington (Big Sky) and Nevada (WAC). They get another crack at a Pac 12 foe when they visit Washington on Nov. 4.

This seems to happen more and more now. Those lower level squads get up for these big boys, plus there is talent at those levels. Combine that with a little apathy from the big dog and suddenly you have an upset.

For what it's worth, the announcers said Seattle Pacific has been to 7 straight D-II tournaments and that it's ranked #24 in D-II. SP was ahead by about 10-11 for a large share of the 2nd half, but 'Zona made a late run & missed a hurried shot at the buzzer that would have won it.

I'm sure Arizona isn't real happy with their performance, but it's hard to get very excited over these exhibition 'upsets'.

Remember when Le Moyne beat Syracuse in an exhibition game a couple of years ago? Really rattled them. 'Cuse struggled to a number 1 seed in the NCAA tourney.

I agree. The exhibitions don't mean a lot, especially to the big-name programs. MSU lost to Grand Valley State a few years ago (2007), yet still managed to get to the Sweet 16. After losing to Winona State in 2006, I wish our season turned out as well as Syracuse & MSU's did.

Top Bottom