In-Season tourney brackets revealed today & Thursday on ESPN.com

SelectionSunday

Reaction score

Bracket #5: Diamond Head Classic

Dan Monson's LBSU 49ers tackle Xavier in the first round of the DHC. If Monson's team has any hope of building a resume worthy of an at-large bid -- it has the the nonconference schedule to do it -- a couple wins here would be very beneficial.

The pick is Clemson, but beware of the host Hawaii Rainbows.

That's the last of today's unveilings from ESPN.com. Thursday they'll announce the Old Spice Classic, 76 Classic, CBE and Maui Invitational pairings.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/33629/bracket-reveal-diamond-head-classic

Projecting a Gophers-Texas Tech quarterfinal matchup

How would you 'seed' the tourney to get to that projection? (the Old Spice folks can't be real thrilled with this field based on last year's results):

Minnesota (17-14)
Dayton (22-15)
Arizona State (12-19)
DePaul (7-24)
Wake Forest (8-24)
Texas Tech (13-19)
Indiana State (20-14)
Fairfield (25-8)

Not sure if they seed it, per se, but I think the Gophers should be favored to win it. As you said, it's a weak field and based on what teams have returning the Gophers look like they're the best of the lot.

1. Minnesota
2. Fairfield
3. Indiana State
4. Arizona State
5. Dayton
6. Texas Tech
7. Wake Forest
8. DePaul

Not sure if they seed it, per se, but I think the Gophers should be favored to win it. As you said, it's a weak field and based on what teams have returning the Gophers look like they're the best of the lot.

1. Minnesota
2. Fairfield
3. Indiana State
4. Arizona State
5. Dayton
6. Texas Tech
7. Wake Forest
8. DePaul

Yeah, I think they "loosely seed" the tourney. That's why I was curious as to what scenario you were looking at to get a MN-TT first round battle. I would predict the Gophers would get Wake Forest or DePaul in the opener.

When Fairfield and Indiana State have 'legit' reason to be the top two seeds in an in-season tourney, you know it isn't a 'stacked' field :)

There could be a couple decent tests in this tournament for the Gophers, but quite frankly if they are any good whatsoever they should win this tournament. I think Fairfield and ASU will end up having the best seasons of the other teams.

SS, how about Texas Tech? Didn't they get BCG as their new coach? I am wondering if this team would deliver like his old teams at Texas A&M. This might be a taugh game to win????

Go Gophers

I don't think Tech has a lot coming back, but I'm sure they'll be decent under Gillispie, probably better than what they were under Pat Knight. I think the Gophers will win the Old Spice largely because they'll have the best player in the tournament (Mbakwe). He should be a man among boys in this tourney and if engaged Ralph (not passive Ralph) shows up, all the better, nobody will be able to match the Gopher frontcourt.

Bracket #6 (4-teamer): CBE Classic

This should be one of the more competitive 4-team brackets. Mizzou and Cal will be the favorites -- especially Mizzou because it's being played in Kansas City -- but the pick here is Notre Dame. Yes, the Irish lose a lot, but Mike Brey is one of the best regular-season coaches in the country (postseason not so much). ND will be better than people think (at least until the NCAA starts).

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/33659/bracket-reveal-cbe-classic

Top Bottom