In-Forum: Perham grad and Gopher long snapper knows all about coaching transitions

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the In-Forum:

If there's anyone who understands the coaching carousel for the University of Minnesota football program in recent years, it's Perham graduate and Minnesota long snapper Payton Jordahl.

Jordahl just wrapped up his third season with the Gophers, and newly hired P.J. Fleck will be Jordahl's third head coach to begin his junior season.

"I would like to say that I'm truly going to miss coach Claeys and the staff," Jordahl said on the "Kolpack & Izzo" radio show on WDAY-970 on Saturday, Jan. 7. "There is a lot of wonderful coaches and great families, and it's always tough to see people get fired, but people got to remember that college football is a business world, and it's kind of a dog-eat-dog kind of lifestyle."

Jordahl was recruited by Jerry Kill, who coached during in his redshirt season in 2014. Kill retired from coaching the Gophers seven games into Jordahl's freshman season in 2015 and Tracy Claeys took over, until being fired after the 2016 season. Fleck took over Minnesota on Friday, after four seasons with Western Michigan.

Life continues for Jordahl.

"The first transition wasn't as extreme as this one may be because it was essentially the same staff, but just a different change in the style," Jordahl said. "I think that this transition here is going to be pretty wild. I think coach Fleck is going to bring a whole new culture in which I'm excited, also a little nervous. Change is difficult, but change also brings success many times. I'm excited for that. I think that playing for a new coach brings kind of a feel of being a new team, but then you got to remember, 'I still have my teammates. I still have my brothers.' If we stick through this together I think we'll see a lot of success in the future."

http://www.inforum.com/sports/41945...-snapper-knows-all-about-coaching-transitions

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom