I'm worried PJ will become a thrill seeking degenerate play calling gambler now

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Right or wrong PJ's teams have had a reputation for low risk play calls. In addition Gophers have had some disappointing games, recently. This past weekend with an easy field goal to take the lead over a ranked opponent and with a stout Gopher defense ... PJ inexplicably calls a QB sneak right after failing ... at a QB sneak ...

PJ was ultimately rewarded for taking such a risk, and I fear the combination of a sudden change in play calling, past trauma, and the reward for such risk taking ... that he may now fall into a pattern of degenerate high risk taking play calling.

Look at this post game interview:

Look at this guy ... something is not right with this guy:

dJHX8eV.png

Even those around him seem concerned:

kV3sPvq.png

I applied a psychological filter to the images I skillfully copied from youtube and found this:

yrW0W4Y.png

Really starting to wonder how much of the ultra-conservative offensive philosophy was KC and not Fleck.

We aren't bleeding the clock to the final seconds anymore and we are doing things like throwing to the RB which we never used to do at all.

For us to win games against these more talented opponents, you need two things to win.

1. Turnovers: That 4th quarter INT changed everything about the game, and they took advantage of it.

2. Maximizing opportunities when they are there: This is where PJ has often failed. He took a few more chances this week (the 4th and 2 wildcat in our own territory was another one). We HAD to get a TD at the end there. I was the only one in my group that agreed with the call. They all said FG. If we kick a FG there, everyone knows exactly what happens next. USC wins in regulation or certainly ties it at the very least (they were easily in FG range). The TD was necessary and was a great call.

1. The 4th down call was not inexplicable. If we score a TD, USC, which has burned all its timeouts, has a very tough time marching downfield for a TD against our very stout pass defense.

2. If Gophs kick a field goal, USC has a much shorter march to tie with a FG, perhaps exploiting our not so hot run defense.

3. If Gophs miss a TD on the 4th down try, USC starts on the one-half yard line, which eliminates most slower developing pass plays; and the USC running game is compromised because of no timeouts left.

Taking all into account, PJ went for the kill shot. It makes sense, when you are the big underdog, to go for the kill shot if Fate delivers you a chance. Not at all inexplicable.

1. The 4th down call was not inexplicable. If we score a TD, USC, which has burned all its timeouts, has a very tough time marching downfield for a TD against our very stout pass defense.

2. If Gophs kick a field goal, USC has a much shorter march to tie with a FG, perhaps exploiting our not so hot run defense.

3. If Gophs miss a TD on the 4th down try, USC starts on the one-half yard line, which eliminates most slower developing pass plays; and the USC running game is compromised because of no timeouts left.

Taking all into account, PJ went for the kill shot. It makes sense, when you are the big underdog, to go for the kill shot if Fate delivers you a chance. Not at all inexplicable.
I get that argument to some extent.

The ball being at the 1 is compelling.

But man it would have been such an emotional downer for the Gophers and motivation for USC ... 🎲🎲🎲🎲

Going for it on 4th down was gutsy but 100% the right call. My kids can vouch for the fact that as soon as they held us on 3rd down I was calling for the offense to run it again.

Had to put USC in the position where they would need to force it to the EZ at the end because I agree that if we kick the FG there they almost certainly manage to get into range for a FG of their own with their offense.

But man it would have been such an emotional downer for the Gophers and motivation for USC ... 🎲🎲🎲🎲
If the ball had been on the 2 it would have been a much tougher call. With the ball where it was just outside the goal line you have to go for it there.

Right or wrong PJ's teams have had a reputation for low risk play calls. In addition Gophers have had some disappointing games, recently. This past weekend with an easy field goal to take the lead over a ranked opponent and with a stout Gopher defense ... PJ inexplicably calls a QB sneak right after failing ... at a QB sneak ...

PJ was ultimately rewarded for taking such a risk, and I fear the combination of a sudden change in play calling, past trauma, and the reward for such risk taking ... that he may now fall into a pattern of degenerate high risk taking play calling.

dJHX8eV.png

kV3sPvq.png

I applied a psychological filter to the images I skillfully copied from youtube and found this:

yrW0W4Y.png
As a former thrill seeking degenerate, PJ you’re only young once, so

Press That Bet

You my friend, need to 🌰 up

dJHX8eV.png

kV3sPvq.png

yrW0W4Y.png
Instant classic! :ROFLMAO:

I think it's about the game situation & how it's going. Until the 3 & out between the tying & go ahead TD's, USC's offense was moving the ball with relative ease. Fortunately we made a play on the INT; otherwise they may have kicked a FG & went up 10.....probably knew that a FG wouldn't be enough. And as others have said, not making it would mean USC is backed up on the half foot line. They would have to dial back their aggressiveness & probably OT, which is likely the same result of us kicking the FG.

If it was 10-10 vs. Iowa in the same situation, my guess is he kicks the FG. Against USC & Miller Moss? Thought process is different & scared money don't make money!

I think it's about the game situation & how it's going. Until the 3 & out between the tying & go ahead TD's, USC's offense was moving the ball with relative ease. Fortunately we made a play on the INT; otherwise they may have kicked a FG & went up 10.....probably knew that a FG wouldn't be enough. And as others have said, not making it would mean USC is backed up on the half foot line. They would have to dial back their aggressiveness & probably OT, which is likely the same result of us kicking the FG.

If it was 10-10 vs. Iowa in the same situation, my guess is he kicks the FG. Against USC & Miller Moss? Thought process is different & scared money don't make money!
Dude if it is Iowa you kick the FG inside the 10 ... on 1st down.

It was the right call. Our Oline was beating them for most of the game and Brosmer had already scored a TD the same way earlier in the game, and even if we didn’t make it USC would have 0 timeouts and be forced to pass while stuck in the endzone with very little space to move. Our Dline had been stellar at getting pressure on Moss and our secondary had denied them all game so a three-and out into a punt with field position close to FG range or even a safety or INT was very possible. If we didn’t score the touchdown we probably still had a 60% chance to win.

I won't necessarily call it the "right" call," but PJ clearly made the "play to win" call.
Kicking a FG from the one-half yard line in a game with under 2 minutes left against the #11 team in the nation that had been gashing our run defense all night would have been the "play not to lose" call.
Not sure if you were at the game; I was. The crowd was all in for the call PJ made. Folks wanted to play to win at that critical juncture late in a great game.
Same call at some other point earlier in the game? A point where there was more football to be played? Obviously, the call then would be to kick the FG, take the points and get ready for your next possession.

Anyone who thought we should kick on 4th is crazy. The game needed to be won right there. The guy next to me wanted to take a delay of game and kick it. And we thought the coach was conservative.

The screen game was huge.
Taylor being healthy is huge.
Johnson being more and more comfortable at center is huge.

By the way I think the fans booed Fleck into going for it earlier in the game when he trotted out the punt team. It led to flipping the field with a punt to the 4 and then a turnover on the next series.

Anyone who thought we should kick on 4th is crazy. The game needed to be won right there. The guy next to me wanted to take a delay of game and kick it. And we thought the coach was conservative.

By the way I think the fans booed Fleck into going for it earlier in the game when he trotted out the punt team. It led to flipping the field with a punt to the 4 and then a turnover on the next series.
i would've been fine with kicking as well, though I think going for it was the best call in terms of win probability based on where the ball was at (honestly based on win probability, you should go for it on almost every 4th and 1 regardless of position on the field). It was a good gamble in terms of win probability added. Frankly I, the one who really poorly mismanaged that down the stretch was Riley. Once it's first and goal from the 4 (and especially from the 1), 100% an advocate of letting them score. Would've been a massively different scenario for USC had the gophs scored with 1:50 and USC having 2 timeouts left than what they were left with and the gophs should be thankful they didn't count the score the first time it looked like we got in as the extra 40 seconds off the clock was a massive benefit

Initially I thought we should kick, but soon I realized with how (potentially) good the USC offense is (and their kicker seemed to have some leg), going for it was the right call.

Initially I thought we should kick, but soon I realized with how (potentially) good the USC offense is (and their kicker seemed to have some leg), going for it was the right call.
I think the the whole USC offense is really good is such a ... I can see it both ways.

They're really good, but we also were handling them well.

The big catch being we had lost the time of possession game, defense tired ...

Spm

dJHX8eV.png

kV3sPvq.png

yrW0W4Y.png
Sometimes I worry my love of Gopher football is akin to the degenerate gambler that that is addicted to losing

I think the the whole USC offense is really good is such a ... I can see it both ways.

They're really good, but we also were handling them well.

The big catch being we had lost the time of possession game, defense tired ...
Time of possession was about dead even. And we’d just had the ball for 5 min plus all the review stoppages. Think they would’ve been fine either way. For some reason, USC decided to play into our game and go slow, underneath And methodical. We tackled well overall and were aided by some luck and turnovers. Well learn if USC is really good offensively here over the next few weeks as I’m not really sure how good LSUs defense is (Gave up 33 to South Carolina in a game they were missing their qb for a big chunk of it, 21 to Nichols state and 17 to ucla) and Michigan has taken a major regression on their d caliber.

Top Bottom