I'm sorry I thought I was on GopherHole

97alumni

Reaction score
instead I think I logged onto Cats Pause.

Good Lord - we've lost three games and ...

1) Season is over

2) Tubby has no desire to win

3) Tubby has to schedule creampuffs to hit 20 wins

4) We totally suck

5) We're not dancing

Do I think the team needs work - absolutely. Do I think all is lost - hell no! We're 7 games into the season that has not been smooth sailing so far.

My goodness - this board is as comical as CatsPause and as reactionary.

Flame away

I agree, people need to calm down a little. Yes, it's extremely disapointing to lose close games like this but it you're going to get this bent out of shape maybe you should take up a different hobby, like knitting or something.

I agree with some, but I'm really alarmed that we are 1-3 against quality opponents. It's going to hurt come selection time. The season is not over, but in serious jeopardy. We basically have the same team as last year, but are playing much worse in every area of the game. We have distractions off the court and allegedly have issues within the team.

Well when you get off to a bad start it's impossible to finish strong and make the NCAA tournament. That's why Wisconsin didn't make it last year.

Let's get some home cookin', get our mojo back, and get our heads straight for big ten time. We are all disappointed, but not the end of the season. A good showing in the conference will get us back to the dance. We are a bit discombobulated at the moment. Tubby will bring us back to the dance...

If there ever was a slump buster it's coming to town Saturday.

I did proclaim the season over but I know its truly not but damn theyre really f'n up.

I agree, people need to calm down a little. Yes, it's extremely disapointing to lose close games like this but it you're going to get this bent out of shape maybe you should take up a different hobby, like knitting or something.

Careful what you wish for. These same people who are so bent out of shape at least care. What would be worse is if nobody did.

1) Season is over

4) We totally suck

5) We're not dancing

Do I think the team needs work - absolutely. Do I think all is lost - hell no! We're 7 games into the season that has not been smooth sailing so far.

Flame away

Maybe you're the idiot then. Those 3 losses are huge. Let's see what you've said so far.

1) Season is over - That is actually fairly likely right now. Losing 3 non-conference games to fairly crappy teams can easily kill a season. It is common knowledge now that this team needs to win 12 Big 10 games. Maybe 11, but 12 to be pretty safe. Please inform me of how THIS team is going to win 12 conference games. We aren't better than any team besides maybe Indiana and Penn State right now.

2) Tubby has no desire to win - You might be right that that statement is a bit ridiculous, but it's hard to say he has this great desire to win when he just sits there and watches us lose to 3 crap teams, all of which we looked incredibly unprepared for. Like we thought we could march in and just have the game handed to us...that's a lack of desire to win

3) Tubby has to schedule creampuffs to hit 20 wins - Based on the way we have played against quality non-conference teams so far this year, that's a pretty accurate statement.

4) We totally suck - I think it'd be hard to argue that at this current point in time, our team does not suck. 3 straight losses to 3 teams we should've beaten. That's all their is to it, and maybe "suck" is a bit of a strong word but we sure as hell aren't good.

5) We're not dancing - See #1. Unless dancing to you is the NIT or the CBI, we are likely not dancing.

1) Season is over

4) We totally suck

5) We're not dancing

Flame away

:clap: You realize that if UK loses to UNC Saturday, it will be Tubby's fault, according to CP.

I think that the biggest issue is our half-court offense or lack thereof. Our shooting has been inconsistent, and we lack a legit inside scoring option. This is not anything new. Because of the struggling half-court offense, we are bound to have a few bad losses. Unlike the last season, we have had some losses rather early in this season. Unfortunately, the whole problem of half-court offense is not easy to fix. It is just that we need to do correctly everything else. We have not done that, either. But, we will figure it out before the BT season starts, and finishing top 5 in the conference is still a good possibility. Michigan is struggling worse than we are. Wisky and Illinois are no better than us once we settle down. The team has 7 games to get their groove back.

Maybe you're the idiot then. Those 3 losses are huge. Let's see what you've said so far.

1) Season is over - That is actually fairly likely right now. Losing 3 non-conference games to fairly crappy teams can easily kill a season. It is common knowledge now that this team needs to win 12 Big 10 games. Maybe 11, but 12 to be pretty safe. Please inform me of how THIS team is going to win 12 conference games. We aren't better than any team besides maybe Indiana and Penn State right now.

2) Tubby has no desire to win - You might be right that that statement is a bit ridiculous, but it's hard to say he has this great desire to win when he just sits there and watches us lose to 3 crap teams, all of which we looked incredibly unprepared for. Like we thought we could march in and just have the game handed to us...that's a lack of desire to win

3) Tubby has to schedule creampuffs to hit 20 wins - Based on the way we have played against quality non-conference teams so far this year, that's a pretty accurate statement.

4) We totally suck - I think it'd be hard to argue that at this current point in time, our team does not suck. 3 straight losses to 3 teams we should've beaten. That's all their is to it, and maybe "suck" is a bit of a strong word but we sure as hell aren't good.

5) We're not dancing - See #1. Unless dancing to you is the NIT or the CBI, we are likely not dancing.

1. Season being over is an ENORMOUS overstatement. I know the team isn't looking very good right now and has some serious flaws. Even if you do assume that we need to win 11 games just to have a chance (which I don't think is necessarily true), this feat is far from impossible. As you may recall, there are a couple of players who may return to the team at some point this season that would likely improve our areas of weakness greatly.

2. Speaking on a proven winner's desire to win based on three losses is absurd.

3. Either that, or just have players that were being relied upon become reliable.

4. Again, not looking great, but given the fact that we are basically the same team that made the tournament last year and could add a few difference makers in the near future, I'd hardly say the season is lost.

5. Not saying that we are certain to make the tournament, but to say definitively that we won't be dancing after 3 losses is rather catspauseish.

Miami and Portland are bad teams. That is why there is some cause for panic. You are right, the season isn't over. We have 7 games to fix our problems.

I love the comments about Tubby looking like he doesn't care. Where have you been since he's been here? He rarely gets excited, he rarely calls timeouts, etc.

I find it absolutely hilarious that people are saying he's now a questionable coach after a few bad games. Maybe we should fire him, and find a different hall of fame coach to come coach our team?

Tubby's got my vote of confidence. He should have everyone's in my opinion. You don't have to agree with everything our team does, but I find it laughable if people really think that they have some basketball insight that Tubby doesn't have.

Players win or lose games, and right now, our guys just aren't playing that well. That's my opinion.

Wow.

ROTFLMAO. Some of this stuff is comedic gold. I thought briefly about responding with reason to some of this nonsense but instead I've popped some popcorn. This is like watching an unbalanced yahoo walk around town peeing himself while screaming about the end of the world. And aliens.

I love the comments about Tubby looking like he doesn't care. Where have you been since he's been here? He rarely gets excited, he rarely calls timeouts, etc.

QUOTE]

Maybe some posters would prefer that Tubby get all red in the face and start screaming at the team during every timeout. Oh wait. We already did that. It's known as the Monson era.:cool:

QUOTE]

Maybe some posters would prefer that Tubby get all red in the face and start screaming at the team during every timeout. Oh wait. We already did that. It's known as the Monson era.:cool:

Now now, everyone knows that the coach doesn't truly care unless his own players are slipping and falling in a pool of his spittle while on a fast break.

Love the guy with the Tubbytown moniker is calling Tubby out for not caring.....

Maybe someone should have though out their screenname a little better......

I miss the lesser known Gopherhole, the one that consisted of constructive thoughts, and actually talked basketball. To say people that aren't up in arms about the worrisome start dont't care is disrespectful and absurd. I'm sure a lot of the older posters have seen many seasons like this before and know its not the end of the season. Somebody pointed out Wisconsin's team last year, perfect example. All is not lost. It's early in the season. Let's not try to have such a destructive influence on each other. Wait until the midway point, or even the 3/4 point before we can really deem this season as a disappointment. The poor start sucks, it does, but it's not as depressing as this board has been this season. I have no problems with constructive criticism, but lets keep at that, and stop with the illogical, downtrodden nonsense.

Tubbydowner- It is real early and not many have played a tough schedule yet, but the 3 teams we lost to have a combined record of 19-3. These may prove to be strong teams by the season's end and all 3 could still make the tournament (thanks to their brilliant non-conference victories over the mighty Gophers of course). Keep in mind that we have beat a team that we weren't supposed to beat in Butler too. Don't you think the selection committee will look at that too? If we win out in our remaining non-conference games, we will be 9-3. Say we have an average big10 season (even though I think we do better) of 9-9 and we will then be 18-12. Suppose we go 1-1 in the conference tourney. We are then (19-13, 9-9)...the exact same record Arizona had which got them into the tournament last year.

You know, we could just win the big ten tourney and not have to worry about it anyways.:)

The Gophers will be dancing yet again come March.

GoAUpher - What is your recommended escape plan? Will a kitchen knife be effective against the aliens? Is it possible to book a flight to the moon?

I miss the lesser known Gopherhole, the one that consisted of constructive thoughts, and actually talked basketball. To say people that aren't up in arms about the worrisome start dont't care is disrespectful and absurd. I'm sure a lot of the older posters have seen many seasons like this before and know its not the end of the season. Somebody pointed out Wisconsin's team last year, perfect example. All is not lost. It's early in the season. Let's not try to have such a destructive influence on each other. Wait until the midway point, or even the 3/4 point before we can really deem this season as a disappointment. The poor start sucks, it does, but it's not as depressing as this board has been this season. I have no problems with constructive criticism, but lets keep at that, and stop with the illogical, downtrodden nonsense.
Agreed, Jimmy. I've heard this complaint about the Football board as well. I think the thing that would help the basketball board's attitude the most is if the football team did better and people didn't arrive here already pissed off from suffering through that season! Or have football in the spring.

Or attempting to post one's thoughts with the intellectual and emotional tenor of, oh, an adult. Or if you're feel down about the team, refraining from ragging on and ridiculing every positive thought someone else may have.

Arizona probably not the best example

". .... We are then (19-13, 9-9)...the exact same record Arizona had which got them into the tournament last year."

I would note one pretty significant difference if that were to happen. In the nonconference portion of its schedule, Arizona did some major damage. The Wildcats beat two (eventual) Sweet 16 teams, Kansas (#11 in the RPI) and Gonzaga (#26). It also defeated two other top-100 RPI teams, #34 San Diego State (which barely missed the tournament) and #86 Houston.

I feel pretty safe in saying that Butler will be the Gophers' only top-100 RPI win outside of the Big 10. Maybe Saint Joe's if they get hot in the A-10? Bottom line is we didn't help ourselves with the missed (top 100) opportunities in Anaheim and Miami.

GoAUpher - What is your recommended escape plan? Will a kitchen knife be effective against the aliens? Is it possible to book a flight to the moon?

I think I would use my driver and start hacking at the aliens Elin Woods style. :)

As for the moon...I recommend you marry the daughter of a Russian oligarch with lots of oil money lining his pockets. Those guys seem to be all about dropping cash on commercial spaceflights. Bonus: it's likely that the daughter will be hot, plus she's foreign. That's a can't lose plan right there! :cool:

Might as well say it...

Agreed, Jimmy. I've heard this complaint about the Football board as well. I think the thing that would help the basketball board's attitude the most is if the football team did better and people didn't arrive here already pissed off from suffering through that season! Or have football in the spring.

Or attempting to post one's thoughts with the intellectual and emotional tenor of, oh, an adult. Or if you're feel down about the team, refraining from ragging on and ridiculing every positive thought someone else may have.

I can't be the only one thinking this....

Does anybody else read some of the more ridiculous and knee-jerk posts on here and think, this person CAN'T be older than 18, 20, 22 years old?

I think the comment that made me laugh the most was one that said essentially the people who are blowing up and losing it about the recent losses are the only "true" fans. Classic...

I can't be the only one thinking this....

Does anybody else read some of the more ridiculous and knee-jerk posts on here and think, this person CAN'T be older than 18, 20, 22 years old?

I think the comment that made me laugh the most was one that said essentially the people who are blowing up and losing it about the recent losses are the only "true" fans. Classic...

I did think that (about the ages), but then I realized that I am 21 years old and was one of the (few?) people who didn't seem to immediately declare the season over, so then I was less sure.

This is obvious-this team is just like last year only maybe worse-they are going nowhere but to the NIT. They are only better than Iowa and Indiana both of which they will have trouble beating on the road

This is obvious-this team is just like last year only maybe worse-they are going nowhere but to the NIT. They are only better than Iowa and Indiana both of which they will have trouble beating on the road

Excellent. Sky is falling contribution from a brand new poster. Added bonus: a moniker that suggests that you want Brew replaced by Dungy (a desire that is understandable but never to be fulfilled). Where is my 100oz tub of popcorn when I need it?

so you think this team is good?

try watching the games and yes, I think Brewster ought to go now and Prez Brunnicks should get down on his knees and beg Dungy to come here(after he fires Maturi too)- I know it wont happen.
As for Tubby's collection--forget it, this team is NIT material-very much like last year or worse

try watching the games and yes, I think Brewster ought to go now and Prez Brunnicks should get down on his knees and beg Dungy to come here(after he fires Maturi too)- I know it wont happen.
As for Tubby's collection--forget it, this team is NIT material-very much like last year or worse

I don't think the team is playing well. But in my mind they are clearly capable of improving and making the Dance. Will they? That's why they play the games. Which is why I find the dire predictions so hilarious. The last 3 games made their road to the NCAA's much tougher...not impossible. If they win out in the remaining non-conf games like I would expect them to then I'm going to do what I think most rational folks would do...wait and see how this team fares against the early B10 schedule before wetting themselves.

I'm not promising you'll be wrong. I just think doom and gloom at this point in the season is pure performance art and should be watched with amusement. FWIW, the butter I put on my popcorn really adds a wonderful flavor. Now where can I find some soft pretzel bites?

Top Bottom