I'm not embarrassed to admit

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
That I had no idea the Gophers played last night. I thought the game was tonight. Logged on to my computer this morning to see they actually played NW last night. I've been really busy at work that I got the dates messed up. I can't remember a time where that has happened before.

Looking at the box score and reading the recap, I'm THRILLED I mssed the game.

Someone please explain to me why Mav took the most shots on the team? Is it ever a good idea to have your freshman backup point guard, who came into the game averaging less than 2 pts per game and shooting only 40% from the field lead your team in shot attempts?

I've come to the realization that Mav has a role on this team. He's probably a great kid and all but from the beginning, I've really questioned whether a player of his skill set and talent level merits a scholarship on a Big Ten team. Now I've come to terms that he might end up sometime down the road as being a marginal backup. With that said, what Mav is right now at this moment...He should NEVER lead the team in shot attempts. Never. Ever. Never Never Ever. Maybe when he's a junior or senior and has figured out a couple of more things. Even then I'd probably randomly pick another 4 or 5 players on that future team to jack up the most shots but at least that would be closer to acceptable. Right now, Trevor, Blake, Ralph, Iverson, Hollins, Armelin, and Rodney should all be getting more looks than Mav.

Why?

Because Blake wasn't open all night and was being mauled by his defender all night and not getting calls. Mav took mostly good shots and just didn't make many. Neither did anyone else in the second half. All of our perimeter players were so bad they were hesitant to put up a shot in the second half but when you can't get the ball inside you don't have much of a choice. I think we had a lot of decent looks from 3 point range in the second half but nobody was getting anything to go in. Thought the refs were terrible in the first half letting Blake get held every time and his 3 attempt was an obvious foul not called since he got hit on his follow through. I didn't notice as much but he was still getting held in the second half too and only got one call that was iffy.

Can we please, PLEASE stop blaming the officials. With our current roster, we aren't very good.

Can we please, PLEASE stop blaming the officials.

Agreed. The student section chanting "These refs suck" at the end of the Michigan game was vintage, priceless stuff from Gopher fans. The officials have had nothing to do with the Gophers' inability to close out close games.

You're right. That was just me venting about some obvious stuff they missed again. They weren't the reason the gophers lost. The gophers just plain sucked in the second half and had no offense or way to stop the 3's.

Top Bottom