I'm Here

ncgo4

Reaction score
This is a frighteningly bad basketball team. They are constantly out of position. ISU is running offensive switches that we learned to defend in High school and the Gophers are left double teaming someone T the top of the post leaving someone free to drive or take a wide open 3.

Terribly coached team. We may yet win this game but they don't look good so far.

it would be hard to find a worse defensive team in the B1G

Yes the Defense looks pretty bad. Way to many uncontested 3 pointers. I understand almost every guard is young and has no experience. But if you are a division one player, you need to play better and smarter than this. Down 8 with 10 minutes left. Very frustrating. As a coach, Tubby needs to answer with some adjustments.

Like I said yesterday, it's a good thing the players don't quit like some of our so called fans do.

Second half adjustments again. Hopefully we game plan better tomorrow and lead all the way through. Great teaching moments this weekend.

This is a frighteningly bad basketball team. They are constantly out of position. ISU is running offensive switches that we learned to defend in High school and the Gophers are left double teaming someone T the top of the post leaving someone free to drive or take a wide open 3.

Terribly coached team. We may yet win this game but they don't look good so far.

Now that you're here, can I ask when you'll be going?

That's all you guys got? Going to hang someone for giving their honest assessment of the first half? We looked terrible defending the three and the announcers sure brought it up enough. Having a wing defender collapse on a drive to not be anywhere in position to stop the drive and yet still leave your defensive assignment wide open is not a good sign. That said, we are very young at the guard position. And I am very impressed to have more than one halfway decent point guard for once in Tubby's tenure here. These guys seem to attach the rim much more than I can remember from anyone but Nolen. We've won the last two games due to easy lay ins and work inside. You can't come from 10 down and win every game though, so let's hope Sunday we jump on them for once...

OK, don't like me or what I wrote. This is an example of great coaching and I'll be shocked if we don't finish top 2 or 3 in the B1G....not!

The team pulled it out as I said they might. But ISU is not a real good team, IMHO, and we struggled to come from behind to beat them. Having watched them for several TV games and now in person, I'll be danged if I could describe to anyone what our offensive scheme is. I guess it's dribble around and hope someone falls down in the paint so we can get it to Trevor and if not throw something up before the clock runs out.

Sparlimb said:
That's all you guys got? Going to hang someone for giving their honest assessment of the first half? We looked terrible defending the three and the announcers sure brought it up enough. Having a wing defender collapse on a drive to not be anywhere in position to stop the drive and yet still leave your defensive assignment wide open is not a good sign. That said, we are very young at the guard position. And I am very impressed to have more than one halfway decent point guard for once in Tubby's tenure here. These guys seem to attach the rim much more than I can remember from anyone but Nolen. We've won the last two games due to easy lay ins and work inside. You can't come from 10 down and win every game though, so let's hope Sunday we jump on them for once...

There is a difference between giving a first half assessment and making the sweeping statement that a team is awful and terribly coached after a half.

ISU not a very good team? Hmm...they made the tourney last year and are expected to contend for the MVC Championship. It was a case of the Gopher depth wearing them down. The 2-1-2 trap press also helped the Gophers in the second half.

I think you lost most people at "frighteningly bad." If Gophers were 3-3 I'd agree with frighteningly bad. As it stands right now, 6-0, I'd say we have vast improvements to make to be anywhere near .500 in the Big Ten. But it's possible imo when you look at the improvement and contributions already shown by several guys - DHollins, Welch, Osenicks, EE, etc ... who are logging their first minutes in the program.

I think you lost most people at "frighteningly bad." If Gophers were 3-3 I'd agree with frighteningly bad. As it stands right now, 6-0, I'd say we have vast improvements to make to be anywhere near .500 in the Big Ten. But it's possible imo when you look at the improvement and contributions already shown by several guys - DHollins, Welch, Osenicks, EE, etc ... who are logging their first minutes in the program.

Just another example of the "instant gratification" needs of some people.

You lost me at I think! :)

Guy gave an honest opinion...that this 6-0 team is frighteningly bad, and that he and others know more about basketball than Tubby. I don't know why it's surprising that people disagree.

Ditto on lack of offensive scheme

I questioned the offense once before, the posted description refered to a "motion offense". Play off the guy with ball. In my book that definition is street ball.

I questioned the offense once before, the posted description refered to a "motion offense". Play off the guy with ball. In my book that definition is street ball.
I believe you are talking about something I said and I said that is what I THINK it is. I have no actual clue. BTW, that is definitely not street ball. If you have set plays with the same names it is possible for a team you play often to figure out how to stop them, so it's not stupid to play a read and react offense if you have the players for it.
BTW, it is very common for teams to run motion offenses. I had been playing against teams running some basic form of a motion offense since 5th grade. The more complex the motion offense, the harder it is to stop. It is actually very effective. We could also run a style of offense similar to what Wisconsin runs. My high school ran both WI man offense and zone offense. They are very basic, but are constantly repeated every time the ball is reversed and with as many scoring options as they have it is very common for a defensive mistake to occur.

It must be tough to coach any team these days. With all the personal media comments made by anonymous posters, without the knowledge of what a coach is trying to develop. I think that a coach gets hired to install offensive and defensive systems. They try to develop the players to learn the skills necessary to implement the systems. Early in the season, the newer players are probably thinking too much to be effective, while more experience players are learning to work with new teammates. Yet the "snipers" all know better and continue to blast away in their anonymous world. If people had to sign their real names and list their resumes, we would hear a lot less babble. As long as the players and the coaches are working together, they have my support.

It must be tough to coach any team these days. With all the personal media comments made by anonymous posters, without the knowledge of what a coach is trying to develop. I think that a coach gets hired to install offensive and defensive systems. They try to develop the players to learn the skills necessary to implement the systems. Early in the season, the newer players are probably thinking too much to be effective, while more experience players are learning to work with new teammates. Yet the "snipers" all know better and continue to blast away in their anonymous world. If people had to sign their real names and list their resumes, we would hear a lot less babble. As long as the players and the coaches are working together, they have my support.

killer bee...be extremely careful what you say about negative comments by some of our GH experts, because you will get lambasted into oblivion.

Top Bottom