I'm Confused ...

scher215

Reaction score
Arizona LOST to D2 Seattle-Pacific yet they are still ranked 16th and somehow managed to beat D1 opponent Valparaiso? And their record shows it is 1-0?

Can someone explain to me how this happens? I thought if you didn't win an exhibition game by at least 60 the season was over? Why is Arizona still playing games? Don't they automatically finish last in all of basketball now? Aren't they clearly a D3 team now? My understanding of college basketball and life in general is all upside down :(

I mean, Arizona's 4-Star SF got outplayed by a D2 SF. Shouldn't the D2 player have been recruited instead? Shouldn't Miller be fired? Isn't Miller a waste of money. I mean, I'd expect better recruiting and coaching from him! Arizona's 5-STAR GUARD got outplayed too! Why can't Miller judge talent!?!?!?!?

And how did this worse than D2 team win a game against a D1 team!?!?

Me too!!

Why Tubby played Trevor 31 minutes rather than 13 is very confusing. Same with the rest of the staters. Why not give Ingram/Halvorson/Oto/etc the 31? After all this is just an "exhibition" rather than a "game" and surely the outcome doesn't matter and isn't important.

The polls will tell you that.

Bayfieldgopher said:
Me too!!

Why Tubby played Trevor 31 minutes rather than 13 is very confusing. Same with the rest of the staters. Why not give Ingram/Halvorson/Oto/etc the 31? After all this is just an "exhibition" rather than a "game" and surely the outcome doesn't matter and isn't important.

Sigh

Me too!!

Maybe because Trevor gets better every day as he plays more.

Go Gophers

Me too!!

Is there a position battle at PF that I'm not aware of?

The thing I don't understand is how the Gophers are still 0-0. You'd think with all the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth that the Gophers at least had 1 loss. Clearly, with Tubby's supernatural abilities, you'd think he could convince the NCAA to give us at least a .5 win for each exhibition, and we'd be 1-0 right now.

Is there a position battle at PF that I'm not aware of?

Tell me. Which PF will take his spot if TM is injured? Who is game ready? I thought that's what these exhibitions are all about. Experiment; get guys some valuable PT to help when the real games start.

Tell me. Which PF will take his spot if TM is injured? Who is game ready? I thought that's what these exhibitions are all about. Experiment; get guys some valuable PT to help when the real games start.

I'd maybe agree with you if the team was showing any sort of team chemistry on the floor. There are 2.5 solidified starting spots, Tubby's looking to mix and match the other parts to see what works.

I agree, chemistry is huge in college basketball, look what happened to UCONN last year once they got it flowing. Tubby had to play Trevor a lot with young guys so they could all get a feel for each other.

My $.02 - I kind of hope Rodney plays a little of the 4 for us (I know that is the opposite of what we are converting him to), otherwise I don't think Otto and Chip will see much playing time with Austin, Joe, Julian, and Andre in front of them in 1 and 2 roles.

My $.02 - I kind of hope Rodney plays a little of the 4 for us (I know that is the opposite of what we are converting him to), otherwise I don't think Otto and Chip will see much playing time with Austin, Joe, Julian, and Andre in front of them in 1 and 2 roles.

Kind of strange that you're lumping in "Otto" with the backcourt when discussing playing time. He's at best a big 3, really more of a stretch 4. How much or little Joe, Julian, and Andre play has little-to-no effect on his status.

A young team, and a team that lost 11 of 12 down the stretch last year. More than anything else, they need to learn to win, I don't care against whom. The other stuff they can learn in practice.

A young backcourt, and a team that lost 11 of 12 down the stretch last year. More than anything else, they need to learn to win, I don't care against whom. The other stuff they can learn in practice.

Fixed it for you. They need to build around what they know.

Kind of strange that you're lumping in "Otto" with the backcourt when discussing playing time. He's at best a big 3, really more of a stretch 4. How much or little Joe, Julian, and Andre play has little-to-no effect on his status.

Your right not lumping Julian and Andre at the 3. I wasn't clear, what I meant is that if Andre can play point, and Julian plays the 2, that means the 3 is split between Austin/Rodney/Joe/Otto/and maybe Chip at times. I also think Mav will get some time at the 1, and obviously those other guys will play the 2 when Julian/Andre are out. Just from what I saw I don't think Otto is a 4 at all, ideally a 3. IMO he is closer to a 2 than a 4. What hurts is the 3 is where we have a lot of people, because he doesn't seem to be able to play the 4 where we need help. If Rodney could take the 4 when other teams aren't post heavy, that would open up the offense if teams played zone against us due to the fact otto could shoot better at the 3.

And I'm basing this off the fact that I do think we are going to see a lot of the Andre and Julian combo on the floor this year. Julian looked nervous at first, but you definitely can see his maturity, and Andre is too skilled not to be out there. His lateral quickness with the ball is by and far the best on this team.

I agree, chemistry is huge in college basketball, look what happened to UCONN last year once they got it flowing. Tubby had to play Trevor a lot with young guys so they could all get a feel for each other.

+1

Top Bottom